"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

polygyny

Moderator: Watchman555

kickme

polygyny

Postby kickme » 31 Jan 2008, 11:22

well, since there seems to be so many scholars here, let's bring up this topic

some say polygyny is of the devil, some say Yahweh doesn't mind
why and wherefore are we where we are today?

BrotherArnold

Re: polygyny

Postby BrotherArnold » 31 Jan 2008, 11:38

kickme wrote:well, since there seems to be so many scholars here, let's bring up this topic

some say polygyny is of the devil, some say Yahweh doesn't mind
why and wherefore are we where we are today?

RESPONSE; to my knowledge and many years of studying the Scriptures, I have never seen one place where YHWH said one negative thing against having more than one wife.

Brother Arnold
Lunar Sabbaths is one of the most provable doctrines in Scripture...

Brother Arnold
See www.lunarsabbath.info

kathybyers2000

polygyny

Postby kathybyers2000 » 31 Jan 2008, 14:54

It is good.

Just my two cents - :wink:

Shalom,

Kathy

chosen

Postby chosen » 31 Jan 2008, 15:18

agree, nothing wrong with polgyny. thought i'd throw in my cents, too.

i would just say that the couple that decides on it should both be in agreement.

shalom,

chosen

kathybyers2000

TOTALLY agree

Postby kathybyers2000 » 31 Jan 2008, 15:47

A house divided against itself will fall. I don't understand (nor do I want to) how so many men and women can work to add to their family when their spouse is NOT in agreement with them. It will only bring about strife.

I see it happening all the time and it is never a good outcome.

Thanks for that addition Chosen - it is ESSENTIAL that both husband and wife are ONE on this issue before multiplying their family times one.

Shalom,

Kathy

Torahwoman

Sister Sledge..?

Postby Torahwoman » 31 Jan 2008, 16:10

Shalom,

not a 'scholar' here, but i shall agree that it
should be agreed upon by each person involved
in the matter.... i realize not all couples are going to be
in 100% agreement on all views -- and the more
that are involved, the 'liiiikeliiihoooood' of a ratio
of disagreement maaaay be higher -- but i believe
this is more than "just one of those little disagreements".

No,.. Scripture -- being Yahuah's Word --
does not condemn the choice and lifestyle of a husband
taking multiple wives.

Personally.. my current view is that
i would rather not be in such a multi-relationship......
to rephrase:
i love all my sisters, but i'm not sharing myyyy dessert tray :P :lol:
Ps. 139:1 "O YaHUaH You have searched me and know me."

kathybyers2000

hehehe

Postby kathybyers2000 » 31 Jan 2008, 16:59

ur funny tw. :lol:

JMSchattke

Postby JMSchattke » 31 Jan 2008, 18:18

1Ti 3:1 Stedfast is the word: If any one the oversight doth long for, a right work he desireth;
1Ti 3:2 it behoveth, therefore, the overseer to be blameless, of one wife a husband, vigilant, sober, decent, a friend of strangers, apt to teach, ....

Tit 1:5 For this cause left I thee in Crete, that the things lacking thou mayest arrange, and mayest set down in every city elders, as I did appoint to thee;
Tit 1:6 if any one is blameless, of one wife a husband, having children stedfast, not under accusation of riotous living or insubordinate--
Tit 1:7 for it behoveth the overseer to be blameless, as God's steward, not self-pleased, nor irascible, not given to wine, not a striker, not given to filthy lucre; ....

Paul seems to think someone in Authority should have a single wife. He doesn't go into why, there is only speculation.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

chosen

Postby chosen » 31 Jan 2008, 21:38

Paul seems to think someone in Authority should have a single wife. He doesn't go into why, there is only speculation.

you mean someone like abraham or jacob?

chosen

(i prefer the small "c")

~C:D

JMSchattke

Postby JMSchattke » 31 Jan 2008, 22:01

heh, perhaps we have there an example that Paul was thinking of when he said one wife.

Look at all the squabbling between Jacob's Wives, and Sarah had Abraham get rid of Hagar.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 31 Jan 2008, 22:04

to rephrase:
i love all my sisters, but i'm not sharing myyyy dessert tray Razz Laughing

I am really not trying to "stir up" controversy, but I know my next comments may do so.

TW, who I believe is a very sweet, powerful, woman of YHWH, says:

"I'm not sharing..."

I DO agree that it would be better if everyone is in "agreement", but I don't see anyplace in Scripture where a man needed specific "permission" from a wife to take another one.

There is a reason why men have been designed with the desire to have more than one wife. This design of males (including many, many species of creation) is the design of YHWH. I would ask women this question: Why would you put yourself in a position to fight against YHWH's design?

It is pagan programming that makes women feel this way. And I believe it is rooted in selfishness.

When women speak on this subject, they always say "I'm not", "I wouldn't", "I can't". This is rooted in the idea that marriage is supposed to be all about the wife and her needs and feelings.

I emphasize "all" because the wife's feelings should be a primary concern of a husband, but that isn't what marriage is "all" about.

A woman was designed to be a "help" that was "suitable" to the husband. If a person is a "help", that implies that they do NOT set the agenda. The one who they are "helping" sets the agenda.

If that agenda includes multiple wives in order to have multiple children to build a lineage or "house", or for whatever reason, then it is a wife's (or wives) responsibility to submit to that.

What about what the husband wants? The only reason a man having more than one wife would bring "strife" into a home is if the women involved are full of "strife" and selfishness, instead of loving toward one another as the Scripture commands.

Now, I will stand behind my bullet proof wall :mrgreen:
Shalom in the name of YHWH,

Eriq

Luneee

Postby Luneee » 31 Jan 2008, 22:23

eriqbenel wrote:
to rephrase:
i love all my sisters, but i'm not sharing myyyy dessert tray Razz Laughing

I am really not trying to "stir up" controversy, but I know my next comments may do so.

TW, who I believe is a very sweet, powerful, woman of YHWH, says:

"I'm not sharing..."

I DO agree that it would be better if everyone is in "agreement", but I don't see anyplace in Scripture where a man needed specific "permission" from a wife to take another one.

There is a reason why men have been designed with the desire to have more than one wife. This design of males (including many, many species of creation) is the design of YHWH. I would ask women this question: Why would you put yourself in a position to fight against YHWH's design?

It is pagan programming that makes women feel this way. And I believe it is rooted in selfishness.

When women speak on this subject, they always say "I'm not", "I wouldn't", "I can't". This is rooted in the idea that marriage is supposed to be all about the wife and her needs and feelings.

I emphasize "all" because the wife's feelings should be a primary concern of a husband, but that isn't what marriage is "all" about.

A woman was designed to be a "help" that was "suitable" to the husband. If a person is a "help", that implies that they do NOT set the agenda. The one who they are "helping" sets the agenda.

If that agenda includes multiple wives in order to have multiple children to build a lineage or "house", or for whatever reason, then it is a wife's (or wives) responsibility to submit to that.

What about what the husband wants? The only reason a man having more than one wife would bring "strife" into a home is if the women involved are full of "strife" and selfishness, instead of loving toward one another as the Scripture commands.

Now, I will stand behind my bullet proof wall :mrgreen:

Oh man.

I only thought I had cajones.

I stand corrected.

kathybyers2000

Pauls command

Postby kathybyers2000 » 31 Jan 2008, 22:26

Thanks for pointing out what Paul said JM. This is another one of those inconsistencies that I find in Pauls writings. There is no command such as this in torah. It is Pauls own gospel and he comes to those who will hear him under his own authority on the matter.

As far as Abraham and Sarah are concerned, I believe they are a fine example of what one should do when a wife should decide to try to place herself in a position to thwart the "head" wife (for lack of a better word). Abraham lovingly obliged his wifes request and Hagar was sent away.

As far as Jacob and his situation goes, well, it's a good thing they were in such a race to be the BEST (or better) wife for him. If they hadn't been we may not have the twelve tribes. Their emotions, although adolescent in nature, were somewhat necessary to the building of the kingdom. Their way of proving themselves better was to bare him children, as many as they could.

In both situations we see the flesh of woman coming out against another woman. But I assure you there were, and still are today, plenty of happy and functional polygynous families.

But I am thankful to know that if we should add a second wife to our family and she should become jealous of me to the point of plotting against me, I can simply use Abraham, Sarah and Hagar as an example and my husband can send her away.

However, I trust that this will not be an issue with us.

Thanks for all the input. It is nice to belong to a group who is open enough to understand that this practice (and those who live, or desire to live, according to it) are NOT of the de-il.

Shalom,

Kathy

kickme

Postby kickme » 01 Feb 2008, 00:02

actually, the priest were told they dare only marry a maiden, ie, not a 'used' woman. I'd think Torah was stating a priest could not marry a loose profane woman. So Shaul's directive that those in responsibility positions have a different standard that some of the others isn't totally out of line.

I actually agree with eriqbenel, but I might not have worded it quite so clearly. After all, I don't like contention in my household, and my dislike of contention has been a thorn in my side. I should be more of a man.
so kickme :P

Lambchop

Postby Lambchop » 01 Feb 2008, 01:10

Now let's look at this according to the law of the United States. This is called. Bigamy !
If you think this would go well with the law of the land, better go ask the man that sits in a prison cell for having more then one wife.
What does 1 Peter 2 : 13 say ?
Be subject to every ordinance of man for Yahwehs sake.
Do you really think the courts will understand when you tell them there is no place in the Torah that says a man can't have as many wives as he so chooses?
This would become a mockery of Yahweh and the Torah, and this is not pleasing to Yahweh at all.
A old saying would go well with this...

Jail before bail, so don't fail.

[/b]
Buy the truth and sell it not. Proverbs 23:23

Return to “Discussion Forum”