"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

Last Supper the same event as the eating of the Passover?

For the open discussion of all calendar related issues.

Moderator: Watchman555

Watchman555

Last Supper the same event as the eating of the Passover?

Postby Watchman555 » 25 Feb 2014, 16:14

I think that the issue can be cleared up very easily by comparing the commands concerning the Passover and what took place on the evening/night of the Last Supper. When we carefully compare these we would find that if this Last Supper took place at the time that it is commanded Scripturally, then we would find that the Messiah allowed almost every command concerning the Passover to be broken. I hope this helps.

To compare:

The command:

Exo 12:8, 11-13:
And they shall eat the flesh on that night, roasted in firewith unleavened bread and with bitter herbs they shall eat it. And this is how you eat it: your loins girded, your sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand. And you shall eat it in haste. It is the Passover of Yahuah. And I shall pass through the land of Mitsrayim on that night, and shall smite all the first-born in the land of Mitsrayim, both man and beast. And on all the mighty ones of Mitsrayim I shall execute judgment. I am Yahuah. And the blood shall be a sign for you on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I shall pass over you, and let the plague not come on you to destroy you when I smite the land of Mitsrayim.

Deu 16:7:
And you shall roast and eat it in the place which Yahuah your Elohim chooses, and in the morning you shall turn and go to your tents.

The Passover is to be eaten:

1) With unleavened bread
2) Loins girded
3) Sandals on your feet
4) Staff in your hand
5) In haste
6) Stay inside and in the morning return to your tents

Joh 13:1-5:
And before the Festival of the Passover, Yahusha knowing that His hour had come that He should move out of this world unto the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end. And supper taking place, the devil having already put it into the heart of Yehudah from Qerioth, son of Shim'on, to deliver Him up, Yahusha, knowing that the Father had given all into His hands, and that He had come from Elohim and was going to Elohim, rose from supper and laid aside His garments, and having taken a towel, He girded Himself. After that He put water into a basin and began to wash the feet of the taught ones, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.

Joh 13:27, 30:
And after the piece of bread, Satan entered into him. Yahusha; therefore, said to him, What you do, do quickly So, having received the piece of bread, he then went out straightaway, and it was night.

Joh 18:1:
Having said these words, Yahusha went out with His taught ones beyond the Qidron torrent, where there was a garden, into which He and His taught ones entered.

What Yahusha did:

1) According to the Scriptures the bread that they ate was most-likely leavened, because Scripture does not use the word that means unleavened bread
2) Rose from supper - He was reclining, relaxed.
3) Laid aside His garments - ungirded Himself.
4) Began to wash the feet of His taught ones - either they or He removed their sandals (if they weren't already off).
5) Obviously He wasn't holding a staff.
6) Sent Yahudah outside at night.
7) The rest went outside.

It is obvious that the Last Supper was not according to the commands concerning the Passover. Most of these commands you might be able to shun away except for the command to remain inside, which is reiterated in Deut. 16:7 - ...."in the morning you shall turn and go to your tents". We know that after supper Yahusha took His emissaries to the garden; which is a direct violation of the command if the Last Supper was indeed the Passover.

Not to mention that if they killed a lamb for that meal and considered it the Passover lamb, then it would have been killed at the wrong time of the day; it would have been the 13th day of the month in the afternoon - which would have broken the command on when to kill it. Subsequently, eating it would have taken place at the wrong time also as the Scripture commands to eat it "that night" but the account shows them eating in the evening.

Mat 26:20
And when evening came, He sat down with the twelve.

Mat 26:21
And while they were eating, He said, “Truly, I say to you, one of you shall deliver Me up.”

Mar 14:17-18
17 And evening having come, He came with the twelve.
18 And as they sat and ate, יהושע said, “Truly, I say to you, one of you who is eating with Me shall deliver Me up.”

According to the evening-2-evening understanding when this evening came it would have been the beginning of the 14th, but remember they "prepared" the Passover before evening came which would have been the 13th.

Mar 14:12-18
12 And on the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they were slaughtering the Passover lamb, His taught ones said to Him, “Where do You wish us to go and prepare, for You to eat the Passover?”
13 And He sent out two of His taught ones and said to them, “Go into the city, and there a man bearing a jar of water shall meet you, follow him.
14 “And wherever he enters, say to the master of the house, ‘The Teacher says, “Where is the guest room in which I am to eat the Passover with My taught ones?” ’
15 “And he shall show you a large upper room, furnished, ready. Prepare for us there.”
16 And His taught ones went out and came into the city, and found it as He said to them, and they prepared the Passover.
17 And evening having come, He came with the twelve.
18 And as they sat and ate, יהושע said, “Truly, I say to you, one of you who is eating with Me shall deliver Me up.”

It's all right there. It says they prepared the Passover and then evening having come. Obviously there is a misunderstanding of the meaning of "and on the first day of unleavened bread". The day that Yahusha told the emissaries to go and prepare a place would have been on the previous day before He sat down to eat. Now how is it He could eat the Passover at the correct time and be the Passover lamb at the same time? There is a misunderstanding of what Yahusha meant when He said, "It is with great desire I desire to eat this Passover", He was not speaking of the physical Passover lamb, He was talking about the Passover that is represented by His body and blood, the bread and wine. That is also why there is no mention of lamb and there is no mention of unleavened bread. The Passover lamb decreed by Torah is to be killed on the 14th day of the month in the evening at the going down of the sun; which is exactly when He died as the physical fulfillment. The eating of the bread and the wine is the spiritual fulfillment of the Passover lamb. So when He was referring to eating the Passover He was referring to Himself, not the physical lamb.

Return to “Calendar Discussion”