"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

Divorce

Moderator: Watchman555

kathybyers2000

Divorce

Postby kathybyers2000 » 28 May 2008, 09:47

Studying divorce (which is wierd because it is so far from patrick and I) however, it is not far from some believers, so I study to know.

I have had an article presented to me in the very recent past that stated that "spouses" should leave their partners for the reason of non-belief (being adultery against YHWH). Here is my concern in this...I have not found in the Word where YHWH has governed, at all, a wife divorcing her husband. Only a husband divorcing his wife is governed by YHWH. Would anybody care to share with me their findings on whether a wife is, scripturally speaking, allowed to divorce her husband for the reason of non-belief in her husband?

Just curious to see what others have found (maybe that I have not).

shalom,

Kathy

kickme

Postby kickme » 29 May 2008, 16:20

The only thing I've found in scripture about that is where Paul recommended the if the unbelieving wishes to stay with a believer, then by all means they should. A truly hardhearted unbeliever wouldn't be able to tolerate a believer.
That doesn't mean it's easy for either party, because it is a conflict of interest. The only support I've seen for the divorcing of spouses was in Ezra's day, and I think in Nehemiah's day also. From the way it looks, that divorce was required because the men left their Israeli wives for pagan wives who only wanted to stay pagan, and from appearances wanted nothing whatsoever to do with Yahweh.
A woman who will follow her headship yet doesn't believe can still be a good wife, and who knows if she might some day become a believer.
However, this is for existing relationships, it is a not a good idea to marry an unbeliever. Not a sin, but not a good idea, especially for believing women, they need to choose the one who will be their headship carefully.

kathybyers2000

Postby kathybyers2000 » 30 May 2008, 07:50

kickme wrote:The only thing I've found in scripture about that is where Paul recommended the if the unbelieving wishes to stay with a believer, then by all means they should. A truly hardhearted unbeliever wouldn't be able to tolerate a believer.
That doesn't mean it's easy for either party, because it is a conflict of interest. The only support I've seen for the divorcing of spouses was in Ezra's day, and I think in Nehemiah's day also. From the way it looks, that divorce was required because the men left their Israeli wives for pagan wives who only wanted to stay pagan, and from appearances wanted nothing whatsoever to do with Yahweh.
A woman who will follow her headship yet doesn't believe can still be a good wife, and who knows if she might some day become a believer.
However, this is for existing relationships, it is a not a good idea to marry an unbeliever. Not a sin, but not a good idea, especially for believing women, they need to choose the one who will be their headship carefully.

Thank you for sharing, Kick Me. I will read through that part of HIStory thoroughly.

Shalom,

Kathy

Return to “Discussion Forum”