"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

Scriptures to ignore, if there is no Lunar Sabbath

For the open discussion of all calendar related issues.

Moderator: Watchman555

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 09 Feb 2008, 16:41

Hmmm, sumfink's happening with me. I've spent months ignoring all the to-ing and fro-ing with saturday vs. lunar sabbaths and all the arguing within this forum and Eliyah's. I came to the truth of the Sabbath, thanks to the witness of the Spirit, last spring, and that was quite a shock enough to realise it wasn't sunday, let alone get my head around the idea it wasn't saturday either!

I know! I felt exactly the same way during my "transition" phases. It's very frustrating to get settled in an idea and then find out we've been deceived again.

But look at it this way, YHWH loves you enough to not allow you to remain deceived. Every time you are tricked, YHWH will reveal the truth again. HalleluYah!!!

--------------------

1/ If YHWH commands that we work 6 days and rest on the 7th, how can not observing the sabbath between the 29th day of the month and the 8th day of the following month be scriptural? To work 6 days and rest on the 7th certainly implies a repeating cycle of 7 days.

This is where many have difficulty because of our programmed mindsets. Actually, it doesn't really imply a "repeating cycle of seven days" at all. But it does imply a "cycle".

In an earlier post, I explained that there are different types of "cycles". The 7-day week cycle on the Gregorian calendar is one type of cycle, and the 7 day work/rest cycle of Scripture is another type.

The easiest way to see the difference is to try and not "read into" the instruction more than what it says. The only thing we can absolutely conclude in the command is that we cannot work more than 6 days in a row. Stop right there…. Don't add anything else to that. Don't insert "cycles" or calendars or anything else.

The reason we go to the 8th is because of the New Moon, which is a separate worship day from the Sabbath and a separate type of day from a "working" day (Ezekiel 46:1, Isaiah 66:23).

So on the New Moon day (the first day of the Month) we worship as He commands, and then resume our workweek on the 2nd day. If we work six days and then rest, the Sabbath will be on the 8th day.

Example:

New Moon Day - Worship day

2nd Day - Work day 1

3rd Day - Work Day 2

4th DAY - Work Day 3

5th Day - Work Day 4

6th Day - Work Day 5

7th Day - Work Day 6

8th Day - Sabbath!!

So quite simply, we just follow the instructions. We worship on a day we are commanded to worship, then resume working (no more than six days in a row) then rest after six days of work.

When we do this, the Sabbath's "automatically" fall on the 8, 15, 22, and 29 days of the lunar month throughout "most" of the year. The exception would be in the 7th month, where we are commanded to have a Day of atonement on the 10th day, which temporarily breaks the lunar Sabbath "cycle". It resumes again at Succoth.

--------------------------

2/ For those who observe lunar sabbaths...how do you do this practically? I should imagine it's almost impossible to hold down a 'normal' job, if you keep having to take different days off each month. Are you mostly self-employed?

That is quite true. Most jobs will not accommodate a creation calendar schedule, but that's ok. As you know, our society doesn't accommodate MANY of YHWH's commands. And I say, so what?

Not one of YHWH's commands are meant to be subject to the worldly system of business or anything else worldly.

"Do we obey man rather than YHWH?"

If we obey Him, HE will provide our needs according to His riches in glory.

Just as a side note: I wouldn't encourage anyone to go and quit their jobs, cold turkey. If this is a problem for you, pray and ask for wisdom. Take the time to let YHWH work it out wisely.

However, it is certainly better to be in a position to control your own schedule.

---------------------

I've been led these last few months to become self-employed from home, and am setting up a Virtual Assistant business, so I can leave my job at a doctor's surgery, which makes me work occasional saturdays (not a problem if I was a lunar!), plus handing out morning-after pills to teenage girls etc. I absolutely hate it, but my (unbelieving) husband won't let me pack it in unless I can earn a similar wage doing something else. Being self-employed would also help IF I was convinced lunar was the way to go.

HalleluYah!!! Sounds like He is working it out already.
Shalom in the name of YHWH,

Eriq

HeHoldsMyHand

Postby HeHoldsMyHand » 09 Feb 2008, 17:13

Hi Jay and Eriq,

Thanks so much for answering my questions. Please don't think I was implying that you are not being scriptural between the 29th day and the 8th, I'm just trying to get my head around something that my heart is leaning towards, and I SOOO don't want to follow a false doctrine, so I'm trying to 'cross T's and dot I's'. I am leaning more and more towards lunar reckoning, but I will wait and see if the Father gives me the lightbulb over the head experience that I had when I realized the Torah was for today. I expect I will end up observing it before too long. I did ask the Father a little while back to help me obey His sabbaths....do you reckon I'm getting an answer?!

Blessings to you,
Lindsey

Luneee

Postby Luneee » 09 Feb 2008, 17:43

HeHoldsMyHand wrote:Hi Jay and Eriq,

Thanks so much for answering my questions. Please don't think I was implying that you are not being scriptural between the 29th day and the 8th, I'm just trying to get my head around something that my heart is leaning towards, and I SOOO don't want to follow a false doctrine, so I'm trying to 'cross T's and dot I's'. I am leaning more and more towards lunar reckoning, but I will wait and see if the Father gives me the lightbulb over the head experience that I had when I realized the Torah was for today. I expect I will end up observing it before too long. I did ask the Father a little while back to help me obey His sabbaths....do you reckon I'm getting an answer?!

Blessings to you,
Lindsey

If you follow my doctrine, this (your statement above that is in bold) is a very real danger. If, however, you follow the Set-Apart Spirit, you will be following truth.

Shalom,

Jay Vincent.

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 09 Feb 2008, 19:37

HeHoldsMyHand wrote:Hi Jay and Eriq,

Blessings to you,
Lindsey

Lindsey,

I would say so. But for me, I got my "light bulb experience" after a while of study. I have a very close friend who is doing the same thing you are doing. He is "starting" to open up to the possibility that the Sabbath reckoned by YHWH's lunar system is the best choice we have. But he is taking his time studying it out. That's ok. Pleasing the father is the ultimate goal for anything we do and He is only pleased by obedience.

Continue to ask questions. Search it out. If your questions out grow this forum, you can always reach me at eriqbenel@yahoo.com.
Shalom in the name of YHWH,

Eriq

HeHoldsMyHand

Postby HeHoldsMyHand » 16 Feb 2008, 17:08

I became a lunar-tic this afternoon.

The problem I have now is that I have no idea where abouts I am! When is the next proper Sabbath? What day of the month are we on?

Lindsey

withgad

Postby withgad » 16 Feb 2008, 20:37

Hello HeHoldsMyHand,
The Torah IS the Light! This is where you'll be led to find answers, answers from the Spirit of Truth as opposed to the spirit of error. First Book of Torah gives us the definition of a Day (Evening and the Morning). It also tells us that the Moon rules the Night and the stars. The Sun rules the Day, and Signs (Equinoxes et al). If you recall The Shabbat Is A Sign. By extension the Sun rules the Shabbat's observance, not the Moon. It is THE SHABBAT DAY! Every Day consist of an Evening and a Morning. Further, In the 2nd Book of Torah, The Children of Yisrael were in deep darkness as subjects in a foreign land. So upon their redemption, a command was given even before the Ten Words were Spoken. Go to chapter 16 of the Second Book. Start at the beginning to keep the context. See how Moshe and Aharon said to the people that "At Evening You Shall Know..." thus their First day of their realization that they have been Definitely brought out of the land of their subjectivity. Then, in the Morning they would see the Esteem of the ETERNAL, as "what is it" was rained from the heavens. Verse 29 is most telling, as the Shabbat is given, because bread is given for two days consumption on the sixth day. When you have finished reading the chapter, you see that the children of Yisrael ate this Manna forty years until they came to the border of their 'Promised Land'. It does not matter what labels mankind has ascribed to the days, as long as the count is 1-6, Shabbat. Deliverence is of the Yehudim. This cycle has been observed since recorded history, even today. "If You Abide In My WORD, You Shall Know The Truth, And The Truth SHALL Make You Free". The Master was speaking of His Torah!

With regards to becoming Sovereign, that is not Subjected to someone elses schedule, because we all need to generate income to negotiate for commodities, you are quite right about looking to yourself, and the Messiah in you, for these resources. email me at
eraseco2@lycos.com and let me know if my response helped any and I'll be happy to share further info with you.

withgad
Brother-In-Love

Luneee

Postby Luneee » 17 Feb 2008, 02:34

withgad wrote:The Torah IS the Light! This is where you'll be led to find answers, answers from the Spirit of Truth as opposed to the spirit of error.

I definitely agree, and all who come here are admonished to read the above quote twice before taking your claims at face value!

withgad wrote:First Book of Torah gives us the definition of a Day (Evening and the Morning).

Can you show me where the seventh day was defined as evening an morning? I cannot find where it defines the length or the beginning and end of the seventh day there in the creation account. Can you?

withgad wrote:It also tells us that the Moon rules the Night and the stars. The Sun rules the Day, and Signs (Equinoxes et al). If you recall The Shabbat Is A Sign. By extension the Sun rules the Shabbat's observance, not the Moon.

Hmm, I haven't found that either. Can you show me where scripture says that the Sun rules the Shabbat's observance?

Further, can you show me where in scripture it says that the sun rules the Signs?

withgad wrote:It is THE SHABBAT DAY! Every Day consist of an Evening and a Morning.

Where is stated in scripture that every day consist[s] of an evening and a morning? Do you have a reference for that claim?

withgad wrote:Further, In the 2nd Book of Torah, The Children of Yisrael were in deep darkness as subjects in a foreign land. So upon their redemption, a command was given even before the Ten Words were Spoken. Go to chapter 16 of the Second Book. Start at the beginning to keep the context. See how Moshe and Aharon said to the people that "At Evening You Shall Know..." thus their First day of their realization that they have been Definitely brought out of the land of their subjectivity.

I am wondering if there is a point to your above statements, but I do observe that evening in 16:6 and 16:8 is

H6153
ערב
‛ereb
eh'-reb
From H6150; dusk: - + day, even (-ing, tide), night.

is it dusk, or night in these applications? By what authority do you interpret whether dusk or night?

Further, at dusk and at night, you can see the moon, at least I can, so this seems to say (to me, at least) that the moon gives the sign.

Tell me this, can you look at the sun, and tell me what day it is? (for the record, I cannot do this, so if you can, I would appreciate a lesson.)

How about the moon? (It is pretty easy to discern what day of the month you are on, give or take a day, by looking at the phase of the moon. I speak only from my firsthand experience. Others may lack basic observation skills to do this, but as of yet, I haven't met anyone absent that ability.)

withgad wrote:Then, in the Morning they would see the Esteem of the ETERNAL, as "what is it" was rained from the heavens. Verse 29 is most telling, as the Shabbat is given, because bread is given for two days consumption on the sixth day. When you have finished reading the chapter, you see that the children of Yisrael ate this Manna forty years until they came to the border of their 'Promised Land'. It does not matter what labels mankind has ascribed to the days, as long as the count is 1-6, Shabbat. Deliverence is of the Yehudim. This cycle has been observed since recorded history, even today. "If You Abide In My WORD, You Shall Know The Truth, And The Truth SHALL Make You Free". The Master was speaking of His Torah!

Again, I am absent understanding of the point you must intend to make. Is this an argument for or against the lunar Sabbath? I am not clear on how this is relevant to lunar sabbath.

Thanks. I hope you return to support your claims with authority from the scripture.

Jay Vincent.
Last edited by Luneee on 17 Feb 2008, 02:58, edited 2 times in total.

Luneee

Postby Luneee » 17 Feb 2008, 02:40

HeHoldsMyHand wrote:I became a lunar-tic this afternoon.

The problem I have now is that I have no idea where abouts I am! When is the next proper Sabbath? What day of the month are we on?

Lindsey

Lindsey, I cannot advise you on what you are to do, but I can tell you that we observed the new moon at such a time that puts Shabbat on the day that man calls Thursday of this month.

I hope this helps.

Torahwoman

Postby Torahwoman » 17 Feb 2008, 03:33

HeHoldsMyHand wrote:I became a lunar-tic this afternoon.

Lindsey

:D :D Way to go, Sis ! Praise Yahuah ! Glad to hear it ! \o/

your luney sis,
Penny :D .. :wink:
Ps. 139:1 "O YaHUaH You have searched me and know me."

withgad

Postby withgad » 17 Feb 2008, 20:44

:?: O.K. Lunee ,
I'll respond, but will allow you to be led by the spirit you are led by because to convincce someone
that their trusted hound won't hunt anymore, even though he has been clearly observed to be lazy
and possibily arthritic, is an excrcise in futility (You Love That Beast). We take a position and Defend it until we feel it is no longer
in our best interest to do so. Do You Honestly Think Scripture would leave out the details of Lunar Day Observance
if in fact it was a fact? Why would The Master of Spirits make us wait until prophets spoke to validate Lunar observance of
the Day that was kept 40 years by a people who Never Knew Ye Prophets. No they collected Manna 5 days, a double portion
on the 6th day, and CEASED AND DESISTED on the 7th Day, We refer to it as Shabbat. (The Pattern Still Is!)
All the Sproofs you are asking for are mere argumenative rhetoric meant to side-tract the apparent Truth of the matter.
Again, I'm not here to convince You that your dog won't hunt, If, when the Spirit of Truth is rained on you like the "What is it",
then That will be the Time for You to make your free=will choice in earnest. 'Get Wisdom, but in all your getting get understanding'. Remember however, we get Nothing unless Favored to do so.

withgad

Brother-In-Love.

Luneee

Postby Luneee » 17 Feb 2008, 20:58

withgad wrote::?: O.K. Lunee ,
I'll respond, but will allow you to be led by the spirit you are led by because to convincce someone
that their trusted hound won't hunt anymore, even though he has been clearly observed to be lazy
and possibily arthritic, is an excrcise in futility (You Love That Beast). We take a position and Defend it until we feel it is no longer
in our best interest to do so. Do You Honestly Think Scripture would leave out the details of Lunar Day Observance
if in fact it was a fact? Why would The Master of Spirits make us wait until prophets spoke to validate Lunar observance of
the Day that was kept 40 years by a people who Never Knew Ye Prophets. No they collected Manna 5 days, a double portion
on the 6th day, and CEASED AND DESISTED on the 7th Day, We refer to it as Shabbat. (The Pattern Still Is!)
All the Sproofs you are asking for are mere argumenative rhetoric meant to side-tract the apparent Truth of the matter.
Again, I'm not here to convince You that your dog won't hunt, If, when the Spirit of Truth is rained on you like the "What is it",
then That will be the Time for You to make your free=will choice in earnest. 'Get Wisdom, but in all your getting get understanding'. Remember however, we get Nothing unless Favored to do so.

withgad

Brother-In-Love.

Does your reply mean that there is no scripture in support of your above claims? I also failed to see where you answered the questions I posed concerning your claims. Can you support your claims with scripture, or not?

I really do not understand your last post, but I see no scripture that supports your above claims in your earlier post. Please correct me if I missed where you posted that scripture.

Thanks, and Shalom,

Jay Vincent.

withgad

Lunar Eclispe

Postby withgad » 21 Feb 2008, 03:17

:!: The lunar theology may also be eclisped Lunee. My question to you is: Do you study to show
yourself approved? Remember how Aharon's Son's were burned? Remember why? These things
You must read and discern. The ETERNAL admonishes us to be Perfect, as He Is. Instructions (Torah)
are quite specific on How He wants us to show ourselves to be Righteous. To Add to his Torah is a
grievous thing indeed to the Qodeshim. Now, to the unclean, that is another matter. I am responding
to You because I would like to think that You are of the Qodeshim. "When words are many, transgresiom
is not absent..." therefore, my 'claims' are indeed Scriptural or I would not have shared my concern with
one I percieved to be seduced by a theology that requires the reasoning abilities of Hawwah (nough said).
withgad

Brother-In-Love

BrotherArnold

Postby BrotherArnold » 22 Feb 2008, 17:00

withgad wrote:
O.K. Lunee ,

withgad

Brother-In-Love.

RESPONSE; Shalom Brother, from reading the above, it seems to me that you believe that they gathered manna on the new moon day, but the Scripture is silent on this, as it is on what they done for food at the time of Jubilees. The Scripture does not specify what they were to do for food when the year of Jubilees rolled around. They were told to let the land rest every seventh year and they would be given enough food on the sixth year to last through three years, sixth, seventh, and eight-year until they could reap another harvest, BUT when the year of Jubilees rolled around and they could not plant on the seventh year or the year of jubilees, they had a back-to-back land rest which would extend it another year and they were not told what they were to do for food during the extra year, same as the new moon days in Exodus 16. I personally believe He Extended the food supply and did not let them go hungry on the new moon days and on the extra year during the time of Jubilees even though the Scripture is silent on what was done on BOTH the new moon day/days and at the extra year at Jubilees. If we can believe that He took care of them for an extra year, why not an extra one or two days????

Exodus 16 is quite an exciting chapter in the Biblical story of the exodus from the land of Egypt. This story has been heralded down through the ages most specifically because of the miraculous occurrence of the giving of manna from heaven by the hand of the Almighty. For those peoples in the world who honor the fourth commandment, this chapter portrays at least one other great happening, and that is the revealing of the Sabbath day back to the children of Israel. The book of Nehemiah tells us that Moses was revealed the Sabbath in the wilderness at this scene of the giving of the manna.

13Thou camest down also upon mount Sinai, and spakest with them from heaven, and gavest them right judgments, and true laws, good statutes and commandments: 14And madest known unto them thy holy sabbath, and commandedst them precepts, statutes, and laws, by the hand of Moses thy servant: 15And gavest them bread from heaven for their hunger, and broughtest forth water for them out of the rock for their thirst, and promisedst them that they should go in to possess the land which thou hadst sworn to give them. [Nehemiah 9:13-15]

Seeing that the children of Israel had been in captivity to the Egyptians for many years, a resurgence of some degree had to take place in their religious devotion to YHWH. One such thing to be restored was the weekly day of rest, the day that had been blessed in the book of Genesis chapter two. We need to ask ourselves in reading Exodus 16 this question: how exactly did YHWH make His Sabbath known to Moses and the rest of the children of Israel? In this chapter, that is a question we will seek to answer. We begin our search right at Exodus 16:1.

1And they took their journey from Elim, and all the congregation of the children of Israel came unto the wilderness of Sin, which is between Elim and Sinai, on the fifteenth day of the second month after their departing out of the land of Egypt.

As you read the above verse, you will notice that a portion of it has been underlined. This is because this portion is of great significance. There are not many dates in Scripture that YHWH specifically spells out for us, but here at a chapter that is specifically about the when of the weekly Sabbath day, we have the spelling out of the 15th day of the second moon/month. For us to say this is just thrown into the text at random would be illogical at best, but for us to realize that this date is specifically mentioned at the beginning of the chapter for a purpose would be in line with proper Biblical hermeneutics. YHWH here is giving us a beginning point. He is telling us what was taking place in the Israelites journeys at this time in their history and He is giving us a specific date so as to enable us to calculate a specific thing. This is not just an arbitrary giving by YHWH in His Word, but rather a starting point for us to center in on.
Before moving on, we should note that there are some who have attempted to say that the Israelites were traveling on the 15th, because of Exodus 16:1. This, they feel, disproves the entire notion that the 15th could have in any way been a weekly Sabbath. On the weekly Sabbath, they reason, journeying or traveling would be prohibited. While we do not believe such a prohibition covers all cases, we do feel that if the text bore out here that traveling was done on the 15th it would indicate that a Sabbath day was not taking place. However, the text does not give us such an understanding. In looking at both the Hebrew Masoretic text of Scripture and the ancient Septuagint translation, we see that what occurred on the 15th day of the second moon was the murmuring of the children of Israel, not the traveling.

And they departed from Aelim, and all the congregation of the children of Israel came to the wilderness of sin, which is between Aelim and Sinai; and on the fifteenth day, in the second month after their departure from the land of Egypt, all the congregation of the children of Israel murmured against Moses. [Exodus 16:1 - LXX]

Dr. Fred R. Coulter gives us witness that the Hebrew (Masoretic) Text reads the same as the Septuagint.

The presence of a major logical pause between the verb came and the words on the fifteenth day verifies this fact. This logical pause is denoted by the use of the atnah, which resembles an upside down v , under the Hebrew word for Sinai & The presence of the logical pause in Exodus 16:1 shows that Israel had come to the wilderness of sin and made camp by the beginning of the fifteenth day. [8]

Realizing this from both the Hebrew and Greek of the Scriptures, we see that there is no justification for those who insist that traveling took place on the 15th day of the second month. Thus, we should look elsewhere for the reason of this particular day of the moon being mentioned in a chapter that deals with Sabbath observance. Exodus 16:4-5 gives us the response to the Israelites murmurings.

4Then said YHWH unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no. 5And it shall come to pass, that on the sixth day they shall prepare that which they bring in; and it shall be twice as much as they gather daily.

Here we see that YHWH is going to rain bread from heaven for the Israelites and the verses are very specific in saying that every day the children of Israel will go out and gather the bread. For a total of six days, this was to be done. On the sixth day, they are to prepare that bread which they bring in, and it will be twice as much as they gather daily. An interesting thing to point out here is that at the beginning of the chapter there is no mention of them gathering double the amount of bread, but rather that after they prepare it, it would be twice as much. That is, YHWH would miraculously multiply the bread He rained from heaven. Their only obligation was to gather it for six days. The significance of this multiplying will soon become apparent. Exodus 16:6-7a then has Moses and Aaron saying:

6And Moses and Aaron said unto all the children of Israel, At even, then ye shall know that YHWH hath brought you out from the land of Egypt: 7And in the morning, then ye shall see the glory of YHWH; for that he heareth your murmurings against YHWH: and what are we, that ye murmur against us?

The understanding of the mentioning of this evening and morning is found further down in verses 11-13.

11And YHWH spake unto Moses, saying, 12I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel: speak unto them, saying, At even ye shall eat flesh, and in the morning ye shall be filled with bread; and ye shall know that I am YHWH your Mighty One. 13And it came to pass, that at even the quails came up, and covered the camp: and in the morning the dew lay round about the host.

Verse 6 has Moses and Aaron telling the people that they would know YHWH has brought them out of the land of Egypt, and this has to do with the quails that are mentioned in verse 12 of this same chapter. Before we move on to the bread from heaven, we should take a moment to comment on the quails that were to be given at evening. The reason for this is that the Hebrew text of verse 12 for evening reads - ben ha erebim - literally between the evenings. Now we do have those who would point out to us that this period is somewhere around what we know as 3:00 p.m. and thus the quails came at 3:00 p.m. on the 15th day of the second month; something that would not have occurred had the 15th day been a weekly Sabbath day. Is there merit to this claim? Here are two points to consider.
The only evening the Bible speaks of is the type in the book of Genesis. The evening and the morning were the first day; evening and morning were the second day, etc. The evening (night) is what begins and ends a Biblical day, and between the evenings would have to be somewhere between dark and dark. Remember, the light He called day and the darkness He called night, and then there was evening (night) and then there was morning (light), day one.
Another thing to consider is the Father is going to prove them as to whether they will keep His law or not. Exodus 16:4 states that YHWH is going to give them a certain rate of manna every day for six days, and on the sixth day it would be twice as much (vs. 5) because on the Sabbath, there would be none (vs. 26). When you are teaching your children right from wrong, you do not set a bad example that is contrary to what you are teaching. Raining down quail on the holy Sabbath for the children to gather on that day to clean and cook, and then telling them not to even gather manna on the Sabbath day is not what the Father did or taught. There is another understanding to glean from the phrase between the evenings in verse six. Moses and Aaron both said that in the evening (night) YHWH shall give flesh to eat (at night), and in the morning (daylight - which would be part of the same day) bread to the full.
Notice He said morning (light), and not morrow (next day). These are two different English and even Hebrew wordings. Morning is the same day as the evening which began the day (evening and morning), while morrow is the following day (tomorrow). Read verse 13, And it came to pass at even (dark on the 16th) the quails came up and covered the ground and in the morning (light of the 16th) dew lay round about the host.
None of this contradicts verse 12 where the Father said He heard the murmurings (on the 15th) of the children of Israel: Speak unto them saying, at evening (between the evenings), ye shall eat flesh, and in the morning (still between the same evening at daylight) ye shall be filled with bread. Now you have a choice. Either the quail was given on the 15th or not. One of the two choices makes the Father work on the Sabbath (as we shall see) and causes the children to work instead of rest. The second of the two choices (between the 2 evenings, the 16th and the 17th - a workday) the quail and manna would occur both on the same day (16th) as the meaning of the word infers.
The Passover was indeed to be slain on the 14th between the evenings , and Deuteronomy 16 specifies this as, &at the going down of the sun. Here is another specific time, as the sun starts its downward stroke after the apex on the 14th, around what we would call 3 p.m. Another specific time of between the evenings is the morning and evening sacrifices, where both lambs were sacrificed on the same day, the first in the morning, and the second one at evening (between the evenings). In Exodus 16, the period of between the evenings is specified as occurring before morning, and is on the same day as the giving of the manna - the 16th.
To further confirm what we have stated thus far, we can know that the weekly Sabbath was indeed on the 15th day of the second month because of the raining of the bread. Remember, the bread was first given in the morning, the morning of the 16th (Exodus 16:1, 4-5, 13). We also know that it came for six consecutive days from verses 4-5. When we count consecutively, this is what we come up with.

• 16th = first day of manna
• 17th = second day of manna
• 18th = third day of manna
• 19th = fourth day of manna
• 20th = fifth day of manna
• 21st = sixth day of manna
• 22nd = Sabbath day

Knowing that the bread began on the 16th and lasted for six days causes us to know for sure that the Sabbath day occurred on the 22nd of the month, which in turn would have to mean that the 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th days were Sabbaths as well. We now begin to see why YHWH specifically mentioned the 15th day of the month at the very beginning of the narrative.
We now come to yet another rebuttal given by critics of this method of Sabbath reckoning, and that is the giving and preparing of the manna. Notice, at this point, Exodus 16:29.

29See, for that YHWH hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.

Critics point out here that there is no mention of a stopping at the time of the new moon, and that the text simply says YHWH gives the bread of two days for the Sabbath day. This takes us back to verse 5 of the chapter, to a point we mentioned would become apparent in further examination the text. Remember, the children of Israel did not gather twice as much bread on the sixth day, they prepared what they brought in and it would be twice as much. Some may object by pointing us to verse 22.

22And it came to pass, that on the sixth day they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for one man: and all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses.

At this point in the chapter people automatically think that the Israelites actually, purposefully gathered two times as much bread on the sixth day, forgetting what YHWH said would occur on this same sixth day back in verse 5 of the chapter. The interesting point to note in verse 22 is the fact that the rulers or elders of the congregation came and told Moses about what happened on the sixth day with the bread. Why come and tell Moses if the children had literally gathered twice as much??? This point proves that the rulers saw the miracle YHWH had spoken of in verse 5, and thus came and told Moses what was happening. The bread was multiplying as the Israelites prepared it! The point of this is that in the case of there being a Sabbath, YHWH made it possible for the bread to last for two consecutive days by the action of a miracle.
In the case of verse 29, the understanding would be that YHWH gave them the bread of two days seeing the text is specifically pointing us toward the Sabbath of the 22nd day of the month. However, the Hebrew text of verse 29 does not use the Hebrew word for two - sheniy - but rather just reads the bread of days, plural. This phrase in Hebrew accounts for more than just two consecutive days of bread provided miraculously, and it could in fact be days innumerable, for nothing is impossible with YHWH. This is a very clear and concise answer to those critics who attempt to evade the issue by saying, What about the new moon? The fact of the matter is that YHWH would have no problem giving the children of Israel the bread of days on preparation day just as the inspired Hebrew text states in Exodus 16:29. Furthermore, the lack of an exception being mentioned is not proof that there was not an exception for the day of the new moon. I might give as an example the Day of Atonement. This day came year after year for 40 years. Did YHWH just stop the manna on this day? The Bible doesn t say that He did & does it? The Bible also makes no specific exception for other days such as Passover and Pentecost, special days on YHWH s calendar. In actuality, the opposition to lunar Sabbaths which comes from those of a different persuasion is not opposition at all seeing there are logical, Scriptural answers for their rebuttals when the totality of the passage is taken into serious consideration.
We can safely conclude that the 15th day of the second month was a weekly Sabbath, causing the Sabbaths in that month to fall out on the 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th days of the second month. This gives us a total of 8 weekly Sabbaths on set days of the lunar month. However, this is not where the evidence ends, but rather only where it begins.

Side note, the Scripture does not specify what they were to do for food when the year jubilees rolled around. They were told to let the land rest every seventh year and they would be given enough food on the sixth year to last through three years, sixth, seventh, and eight-year until they could reap another harvest, BUT when the year jubilees rolled around and they could not plant on the seventh year or the year of jubilees, which would extend it another year and they were not told what they were to do for food, same as the new moon days in Exodus 16. I personally believe He Extended the food supply and did not let them go hungry on the new moon days and on the 50th year of jubilees even though the Scripture is silent on what was done on the new moon day/days and at the year jubilees.
Lunar Sabbaths is one of the most provable doctrines in Scripture...

Brother Arnold
See www.lunarsabbath.info

Return to “Calendar Discussion”