"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

Chicken: eggs, mcnuggets, and meat

Here we can discuss GM/GE foods, shopping techniques, food storage, recipes, and the like.

Moderator: Watchman555

Chayil_Ishshah

Chicken: eggs, mcnuggets, and meat

Postby Chayil_Ishshah » 14 Nov 2007, 16:03

Was reading Mother Earth News this a.m. and they have a rather interesting article on the benefits of eggs from chickens that are allowed to peck and scratch for their food versus the commercial layers that are left in over-crowded dark conditions.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Whole-Fo ... -Eggs.aspx

What do they do with the layers after they can't lay any more? Well, turn them into McNuggets of course..

I know after watching "Supersize me" I didn't want to touch chicken mcnuggets again... ***shudder****
Meat slurry was the word they used to describe the processing for the chicken meat. ***gag***

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_slurry

There are some things in that movie I could have done without, but the message was very interesting. If one ever wondered about Fast Food Rest. this movie will clear it up! :shock:

~d

chosen

ffr

Postby chosen » 14 Nov 2007, 16:28

yes, after watching that movie i don't see how anyone could go to one of those places again! YUCK!!!!! but that is just me ***grin*** LOL

Torahwoman

mc-formerly-known-as-chicken

Postby Torahwoman » 14 Nov 2007, 16:56

Shalom...

"step right up for some of those chicken feet, etc.! "
:mrgreen:

"Toto,.. i've a feeling we're not in KFC anymore..." :P

tw
Ps. 139:1 "O YaHUaH You have searched me and know me."

chosen

Postby chosen » 14 Nov 2007, 17:27

just wanted to let you know, that ffr = fast food restaurants, not a type-o of fur!

shalom,

chosen

Lambchop

Postby Lambchop » 15 Nov 2007, 02:22

store bought eggs can't even compare to fresh farm eggs. During the times that my hens stop laying eggs, I usually don't eat eggs.
Duck eggs are the best. They are even better then a chicken egg and much larger. One duck egg is equal to 2 chicken eggs
Speaking of chicken Mc nuggets, I make my own. The best meat I have found to use when making them is actually turkey meat.
Living on a farm, you learn to make all you're own goodies, and they're much healtier for you too. :wink:
Buy the truth and sell it not. Proverbs 23:23

chosen

Postby chosen » 15 Nov 2007, 15:55

are duck eggs clean? i thought ducks were considered unclean? because they have webbed feet? any clairification would be greatly apreciated.

Shalom,

chosen

Lambchop

Postby Lambchop » 16 Nov 2007, 00:07

Chosen,
Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14 does not mention duck as being among the unclean.
There is one type of duck that I wouldn't eat though. It is called, the groesbeck duck. They are one nasty duck...

Watchman555

If it looks like a duck....If it walks like a duck....

Postby Watchman555 » 20 Nov 2007, 06:10

Shalom All;

We had read the question that chosen had posted about the web-footed birds being unclean. Interestingly enough, last night we received a phone call from a brother in Canada regarding the list of clean and unclean birds on our web site. He said that he was concerned about the bird defined as “water-henâ€

chosen

duck and like birds

Postby chosen » 20 Nov 2007, 06:51

thanks for the info, i had thought that the pelican being a web-footed bird is like the ducks. that's why i didn't eat duck eggs.

http://www.reflectiveimages.com/HenMallard.htm

http://www.rare-prints.com/least_water_hen_bien.htm

chosen

Lambchop

ducks and water-hens

Postby Lambchop » 21 Nov 2007, 12:29

Watchman,
I guess you haven't looked at a duck lately. Did you look at the pictures of water-hens ? Where did you get a idea that a duck and a water hen looks the same LOL ??
The water hen has long skinny legs like a bird and its beak is compeletly different from a duck. A duck's legs are very short . That's why they waddle when they walk. I don't know what kind of duck you've ate that "didn't have much meat" on it, but the ducks I've ate had quite a lot of meat on them. More then a fryer hen. As far as the greasy part, a duck has a lot less grease on it then lamb meat does.
But the difference is, knowing how to cook these greasy meats. Its quite different then other fowl meats in cooking.
No where in scripture does it say anything about the duck being unclean meat, and no they aren't the same as water hens... :lol: that's just to funny.

Chayil_Ishshah

Re: ducks and water-hens

Postby Chayil_Ishshah » 21 Nov 2007, 18:10

Shalom Lambchop,

Glad we could bring a smile to your face...
:)

Seriously tho, yes we realize that the duck and water-hen of today look nothing alike. The reason why we said that is because we don't know exactly if that is what Scripture was referring to.

Example: the behemoth. Some scholars will tell you it is a hippo, some will say a crocodile, and some a dinosaur, and some even elephant.
Example: the unicorn. Some scholars will tell you it is a horse with a horn, some will say a type of deer, and some a type of antelope.

In all of the above cases, we don't KNOW. We can each be persuaded as to what they are.

As the unclean birds that are listed some could be listed as birds found in marshes, they could be listed as birds that live in hollows and banks of rivers, and they could be listed as lean aquatic birds; one could say that any one of these definitions fits that of a duck.

I was the one that ate duck. I had it one time in my younger years and my Taiwanese aunt cooked it. It was greasy. Perhaps it was her cooking...dare I ask her 8) :lol: And I remember watching the Outdoor Channel on satellite t.v. and they had a segment on duck hunting. They showed the duck hunted, brought home, cleaned and cooked. The only thing they cooked was the breast. From what I watched there wasn't much meat there. Of course, I don't remember what kind of duck it was, I know it wasn't mallard.

In any case, we had two concerns regarding the issue of duck. So we did the word study. As we cannot emphatically say duck is clean or that duck is unclean we presented the study for what it was.

Again,

Please do further research on your own to be persuaded in your own mind as to whether ducks are clean or not.

Thanks again for your post,

~dawn

Lambchop

Postby Lambchop » 27 Nov 2007, 00:41

Dawn,
I ask the question of ducks and water-hens to Texas Parks and Wildlife
waterfowl program officer in Austin, Texas.
This is his reply :

coots (sometimes referred to as water hens), they are not in the same family. Coots are in the family Rallidae, while ducks are in the family Anatidae. They are even in different orders one is considered a marsh bird (coots are Gruiiformes) while ducks are in the order Anseriformes.

Matter solved ! They are clean ! :lol:

Return to “In the Kitchen”