"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

Yeast

Here we can discuss GM/GE foods, shopping techniques, food storage, recipes, and the like.

Moderator: Watchman555

Chayil_Ishshah

Yeast

Postby Chayil_Ishshah » 21 Mar 2008, 13:30

Greetings~

I heard it said that some will only have grape juice for Passover because it does not contain yeast, a.k.a. a leavening agent.

I found this:

Yeast is used in winemaking where it converts the sugars present in grape juice or must into alcohol. Yeast is normally already invisibly present on the grapes. The fermentation can be done with this endogenous (or wild) yeast ;[20] however, this may give unpredictable results depending on the exact types of yeast species that are present. For this reason a pure yeast culture is generally added to the must, which rapidly predominates the fermentation as it proceeds. This represses the wild yeasts and ensures a reliable and predictable fermentation.[

It appears that there would be yeast already there on the grapes regardless of man's intervention of adding more yeast to turn it into wine. I wonder how this applies in the spirit?

Pondering,

~dawn

kickme

Postby kickme » 22 Mar 2008, 01:49

well, look at the example of Yahushua, didn't he drink wine both at the pesach meal and on the stake? Don't look at me, I'm no expert, it does seem wine has gone with pesach for a long time with no one seeing an apparent contradiction.
Now, I know that tradition is a foolish way to set precedent, but in the instructions for Pesach, there was said nothing about wines, seems to only mention the bread, and that was in memory of the lack of leavening in the bread because they had to hurriedly leave. The silence is deafening in regards to wine, so it seems to me we should listen to the silence roar.

Return to “In the Kitchen”