"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

Sign of the Sabbath

For the open discussion of all calendar related issues.

Moderator: Watchman555

Watchman555

Sign of the Sabbath

Postby Watchman555 » 19 Jan 2008, 00:33

Shalom All~

In Exodus 31:13-18 it says that the Sabbaths are a sign between us and Him. I used to believe this verse meant that me and Yahuah had this sign thing going on between us because I keep His Sabbath. I thought the sign was my observance of Sabbath. That thought process might not be totally wrong; but, I am now looking at these verses in a different light.

#226 - \'owth - probably from H225 (in the sense of appearing)
1) sign, signal
a) a distinguishing mark
b) banner
c) remembrance
d) miraculous sign
e) omen
f) warning
2) token, ensign, standard, miracle, proof

#1285 " bĕriyth
1) covenant, alliance, pledge
a) between men
1) treaty, alliance, league (man to man)
2) constitution, ordinance (monarch to subjects)
3) agreement, pledge (man to man)
4) alliance (of friendship)
5) alliance (of marriage)
b) between Elohim and man
1) alliance (of friendship)
2) covenant (divine ordinance with signs or pledges)

Genesis 1:14:
14 And Elohim said, "Let lights come to be in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs (226) and appointed times, and for days and years

Exodus 31:13-18:
13 "And you, speak to the children of Yisra'el, saying, ‘My Sabbaths you are to guard, by all means, for it is a sign (226) between Me and you throughout your generations, to know that I, Yahuah, am setting you apart. 14 "And you shall guard the Sabbath, for it is set-apart to you. Everyone who profanes it shall certainly be put to death, for anyone who does work on it, that being shall be cut off from among his people. 15 ‘Six days work is done, and on the seventh is a Sabbath of rest, set-apart to Yahuah. Everyone doing work on the Sabbath day shall certainly be put to death. 16 "And the children of Yisra'el shall guard the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as an everlasting covenant (1285) . 17 ‘Between Me and the children of Yisra'el it is a sign (226) forever. For in six days Yahuah made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.' 18 And when He had ended speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Mosheh two tablets of the Witness, tablets of stone, written with the finger of Elohim.

Ezekiel 20:12:
12 "And I also gave them My Sabbaths, to be a sign (226) between them and Me, to know that I am Yahuah who sets them apart.

Ezekiel 20:19-20:
19 ‘I am Yahuah your Elohim. Walk in My laws, and guard My right-rulings, and do them. 20 "And set apart My Sabbaths, and they shall be a sign (226) between Me and you, to know that I am Yahuah your Elohim.'

Genesis 9:12-17:
12 And Elohim said, "This is the sign (226) of the covenant (1285) which I make between Me and you, and every living creature that is with you, for all generations to come: 13 "I shall set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign (226) of the covenant (1285) between Me and the earth. 14 " And it shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud, 15 and I shall remember My covenant (1285) which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh, and never again let the waters become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16 "And the rainbow shall be in the cloud, and I shall see it, to remember the everlasting covenant (1285) between Elohim and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth. 17 And Elohim said to Noah, "This is the sign (226) of the covenant (1285) which I have established between Me and all flesh that is on the earth.

Notice this passage very carefully above. It mentions both a covenant and the sign of the covenant, and He even specifies that the sign or bow, would become a remembrance to Him of His covenant. The Scripture says " remember the Sabbath. Interesting that Yahuah had to put a remembrance in the heavens to remind Him of something. So - - ???

Genesis 17:10-11:
10 "This is My covenant (1285) which you guard between Me and you, and your seed after you: Every male child among you is to be circumcised. 11 "And you shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin, and it shall become a sign (226) of the covenant (1285) between Me and you.

Here again, a covenant and a physical sign of the covenant.

Psalm 81:3:
Blow the ram's horn at the time of the New Moon, At the full moon, on our festival day.

This verse seems to indicate two owths, or signs, that occur in the moon, one of which would occur once a month and must be considered a sign, after all, it does begin the month and the other at least twice a year, once for the Festival of Unleavened Bread and once for Sukkoth.

Lev. 23:39:
"On the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when you gather in the fruit of the land, observe the festival of Yahuah for seven days. On the first day is a rest, and on the eighth day a rest.

So, the first day of the Feast is a full moon - sign? and the 8th day would be a half moon - another sign?

~Greg

LittleBoyDrinkingWine

Postby LittleBoyDrinkingWine » 20 Jan 2008, 17:28

You got it Greg,

In my mind, this is the greatest proof that the moon is the sign of YHWH's Sabbath. The two great lights in Genesis one tell the story. One is for signs and season (moedim) and the other is for days and years.

YHWH's calendar is a lunar/solar calendar, not a lunar/solar for part of it and solar only for another part of it. The fixed saturday keepers can't grasp this, but when I got a hold of that one concept, the teaching jumped off the page at me and I saw it so clearly.

Then, taking that concept across the testaments, the mark (sign) of the beast verses the mark or sign of YHWH ,has to be the Gregorian calendar and the system it is based upon.

This means the calendar subject is a very important thing to come to understand.

Joey

BrotherArnold

Postby BrotherArnold » 20 Jan 2008, 18:48

Very good Brother Greg,

I might add that the ONLY pinpointed sign day found in scripture is on the 15th Ex-13:9

Also He said “that you may know that it is YHWH that sanctifies you /sets apart. He sets us apart with the moon, not man’s calendar which sets them apart. We know man can not change the ordainances of the moon.

Brother Arnold
Lunar Sabbaths is one of the most provable doctrines in Scripture...

Brother Arnold
See www.lunarsabbath.info

withgad

Postby withgad » 20 Jan 2008, 19:37

Brother Watchman, great site here! Been looking over some of the
Lunar Shabbat posts. THE ETERNAL is not an author of confusion,
as you really well know. When one remembers the giving of bread
from heaven "what is it?", one recalls how they were instructed through
Moshe to 'go out' each morning early and gather much or little for their
daily bread needs. However. as a TEST, they were required to gather a
double portion on the sixth day, etc. The confusion is the belief that we
are to have the understanding of Messngers! We are flesh. Our Shabbat
is a cessation from our fleshly pursuits, etc. The lunar Shabbat reckoning
is quite cerebral, and would have been, and is a hindrance to beings
coming out of servitude to... That expressed, I must echo the sentiments
of KB2000. What a lovely spirit!
PEACE!
Brother In Love

chuckbaldwin

Postby chuckbaldwin » 20 Jan 2008, 21:08

Greetings. For those who haven't read this before, here's my understanding of the functions of the "heavenly luminaries" in Gen.1:14-16.

There are 3 luminaries: sun, moon, stars.
There are 4 functions: signs, moedim, days, years.
Of course, the earth is involved with all the functions, since it is the point of reference for everything involving mankind.

1. Signs = the Zodiac = function of the stars.
2. Moedim = Annual holydays & feasts = function of the moon (with the sun - see #4). (see note 2)
3. Days - the 24-hour cycle = function of the sun only (moon NOT involved).
4. Years = the span between 2 spring (or fall) equinoxes = function of the sun only. (see note 1)
5. Weeks ... Oops! That one's not listed.

Note 1: Because the Sabbath is isolated from the "Moedim", both in Lev.23, and the several Scriptures that mention "Sabbaths, New Moons, & Moedim", i tend to put the Sabbath under #3 (days) vs #2 (Moedim).

Note 2: It can be argued that the "year" starts at a specific New Moon. Some will say it starts in Winter about half the time; others will say it always starts in the Spring. It may just be semantics, but my thought is that the "year" itself currently starts at the Spring Equinox, and the New Moon that begins the 1st month is called (in Ex.12.2) is called the "1st New Moon" or "1st month" of the year.
Chuck Baldwin
By this shall all men know you are my disciples: if you have love one for another.

BrotherArnold

Postby BrotherArnold » 20 Jan 2008, 22:19

Greetings. For those who haven't read this before, here's my understanding of the functions of the "heavenly luminaries" in Gen.1:14-16.

Of course, the earth is involved with all the functions, since it is the point of reference for everything involving mankind.

2. Moedim = Annual holydays & feasts = function of the moon (with the sun - see #4). (see note 2)
4. Years = the span between 2 spring (or fall) equinoxes = function of the sun only. (see note 1)

RESPONSE; ever notice months are not mentioned eather? We know that months and weeks existed.
Brother Arnold
Lunar Sabbaths is one of the most provable doctrines in Scripture...

Brother Arnold

See www.lunarsabbath.info

chuckbaldwin

Postby chuckbaldwin » 20 Jan 2008, 22:42

BrotherArnold wrote:RESPONSE; ever notice months are not mentioned eather? We know that months and weeks existed.
Months are implicitly mentioned because most of the Feasts & holydays are specific days of specific months.

And weeks existed as periods of 7 days, which is why i included the Sabbath under the "days" category.
Chuck Baldwin

By this shall all men know you are my disciples: if you have love one for another.

Watchman555

Postby Watchman555 » 20 Jan 2008, 23:11

Shalom,

Just a note - This is the first time that the word "week" or shabua was used. It was dealing with years.

Concerning years:

Gen. 29:20, 26-27
20 So Ya'aqob served seven years for Rachel, and they seemed to him but a few days because of the love he had for her. 26 And Laban said, "It is not done this way in our place, to give the younger before the first-born. 27 "Complete the week of this one, then we give you this one too, for the service which you shall serve with me still another seven years.

Concerning days:

Ex. 34:22:
22 "And perform the Festival of Weeks for yourself, of the first-fruits of wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year.

~Greg

Watchman555

Postby Watchman555 » 20 Jan 2008, 23:21

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for the witness.

Greg

Watchman555

Postby Watchman555 » 21 Jan 2008, 00:29

withgad wrote:Brother Watchman, great site here! Been looking over some of the
PEACE!
Brother In Love

Shalom withgad and welcome,

I appreciate what you have said here; although it did take me a few times of reading and meditation, I finally got it.

Thanks,

~Greg

JMSchattke

Postby JMSchattke » 21 Jan 2008, 01:03

BrotherArnold wrote:Greetings. For those who haven't read this before, here's my understanding of the functions of the "heavenly luminaries" in Gen.1:14-16.

RESPONSE; ever notice months are not mentioned eather? We know that months and weeks existed.
Brother Arnold

Arnold, Months are listed. The hebrew word for month is moon.

For example:
Exo 13:4
היו×?3117 ×?ת×?859 יצ×?×™×?3318 בחדש×?2320 ×”×?ביב׃24

H2320 in Strongs:

chôdesh
kho\'-desh
From H2318; the new moon; by implication a month: - month (-ly), new moon.

H2320 in Black's:

chôdesh
BDB Definition:
1) the new moon, month, monthly
1a) the first day of the month
1b) the lunar month
Part of Speech: noun masculine
A Related Word by BDB/Strong's Number: from H2318
Same Word by TWOT Number: 613b

So, Months are fresh Moons are months... no need to describe them as different.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

Watchman555

Postby Watchman555 » 21 Jan 2008, 01:25

JMSchattke wrote: Months are fresh Moons are months...

Can you say that five times fast? :lol:

JMSchattke

Postby JMSchattke » 21 Jan 2008, 02:49

Watchman555 wrote:
JMSchattke wrote: Months are fresh Moons are months...

Can you say that five times fast? :lol:

:lol: yes :lol:

"That five times fast" :wink:
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 27 Jan 2008, 03:15

Greg,

I just read this. Excellent points!

Every "sign" that YHWH has given in connection to a covenant is an "eternal" sign. In other words, it is a "sign" that MAN cannot undo! For instance:

If man can "undo" the rainbow, then he can remove the covenant. Man can't stop a rainbow. So the "sign" of the rainbow is eternal.

If man could "undo" a circumcision, he could remove the covenant. Man can't replace a foreskin. So the "sign" of circumcision is eternal.

If man can "undo" the Sabbath, he can remove the covenant. Man cannot change to moon phases. So the "sign" of the Sabbath is eternal.

BTW, I don't think that "withgad" meant his post to be a favorable one. Unless I misunderstood. If so, I apologize.

The lunar Shabbat reckoning
coming out of servitude to

The lunar sabbath reckoning would not have been a "cerebral hindrance" to the Yisraelites at all. Every person at that time was acclimated since birth to a astronomical method of reckoning time.

They may very well have thought that learning to use a "watch" and a "calendar" was a "cerebral hindrance". It is only a problem for those who are programmed with a different mindset.

Not only. The Yisraelites had to re-learn EVERYTHING about how to live and govern their lives. The Torah of Moshe was an entirely different way of life than the one they had lived in Egypt. Was learning the whole law too "cerebral" for them? Would having to learn a whole new way of life been a "hindrance" to people coming out of servitude?

Learning the Sabbath was the least difficult adjustment to make! And in fact, the lunar reckoning is quite simple for anyone willing to take just a moment to learn it. It can be learned just as easily as the Gregorian calendar.

Just out of curiosity, what is the significance of "with-gad"?
Shalom in the name of YHWH,

Eriq

Luneee

Postby Luneee » 17 Feb 2008, 03:06

withgad wrote:Brother Watchman, great site here! Been looking over some of the
PEACE!
Brother In Love

Just a curiosity question.

Do you (currently) work twice as hard on the 6th day?

Thanks,

Jay Vincent.

Return to “Calendar Discussion”