"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

Was There a Sabbath on 01/10?

For the open discussion of all calendar related issues.

Moderator: Watchman555

Watchman555

Was There a Sabbath on 01/10?

Postby Watchman555 » 05 Mar 2014, 16:28

This note is for those who keep the 7-day Continual Cycle (7DCC) that we find on the Roman calendar. This is also for the “Saturday” Sabbathers who believe that the 10th day of the first month prior to the impalement of Yahusha was the day that Yahusha rode into Yerushalayim on a donkey.

First of all we will establish their common understanding:

7th day; 10th day of first month – ‘weekly’ Sabbath - lamb selection
1st day; 11th - lamb inspection
2nd day; 12th - lamb inspection
3rd day; 13th - lamb inspection
4th day; 14th - Passover
5th day; 15th - Unleavened Bread; “high Sabbath” – first day in the grave
6th day; 16th - Second day in the grave
7th day; 17th – ‘weekly’ Sabbath - Third day in the grave
1st day; 18th – Rises

If this is your common understanding then we can simply confirm that the 10th day of the first month would have been a weekly Sabbath according to the “Saturday” Sabbathers. Now as it is confirmed that if the 17th day of the month was a weekly Sabbath then the 10th day of the month was a Sabbath also. Let’s pay very close attention to MattitYahu chapter 21 to see if we can conclude whether it was or was not a Sabbath.

Mat 21:1 And when they came near to Yerushalayim, and came to Beyth Phagi, at the Mount of Olives, then Yahusha sent two taught ones,
Mat 21:2 saying to them, “Go into the village opposite you, and straightaway you shall find a donkey tied, and a colt with her, loosen them, and bring them to Me.
Mat 21:3 “And if anyone says whatever to you, you shall say, ‘The Master needs them,’ and immediately he shall send them.”
Mat 21:4 And all this took place that it might be filled what was spoken by the prophet, saying,
Mat 21:5 “Say to the daughter of Tsiyon, ‘See, your Sovereign is coming to you, meek, and sitting on a donkey, even a colt, the foal of a donkey.’ ”
Mat 21:6 And the taught ones went, and having done as Yahusha ordered them,
Mat 21:7 they brought the donkey and the colt, and laid their garments on them, and He sat on them.
Mat 21:8 And most of the crowd spread their garments on the way, WHILE OTHERS CUT DOWN BRANCHES FROM THE TREES AND SPREAD THEM ON THE WAY.
Mat 21:9 And the crowds who went before and those who followed cried out, saying, “Hoshia-na to the Son of Dawid! Blessed is He who is coming in the Name of Yahuah! Hoshia-na in the highest!”
Mat 21:10 And as He entered into Yerushalayim, all the city was stirred, saying, “Who is this?”
Mat 21:11 And the crowds said, “This is Yahusha, the prophet from Natsareth of Galil.”
Mat 21:12 And YAHUSHA WENT INTO THE SET-APART PLACE OF ELOHIM AND DROVE OUT ALL THOSE BUYING AND SELLING IN THE SET-APART PLACE, AND OVERTURNED THE TABLES OF THE MONEYCHANGERS AND THE SEATS OF THOSE WHO SOLD DOVES.
Mat 21:13 And He said to them, “It has been written, ‘My House shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of robbers.’ ”
Mat 21:14 And blind and lame ones came to Him in the Set-apart Place, and He healed them.
Mat 21:15 But when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonders which He did, and the children crying out in the Set-apart Place and saying, “Hoshia-na to the Son of Dawid!” they were greatly displeased,
Mat 21:16 and said to Him, “Do You hear what these say?” And Yahusha said to them, “Yea, have you never read, ‘Out of the mouth of babes and nurslings You have perfected praise’?”
Mat 21:17 And having left them He went out of the city to Beyth Anyah, and spent the night there.

Please also read Yahuchanon chapter 12, you will find there is no information that would confirm or deny whether this day was a Sabbath or not. But we can come to a logical conclusion that it was NOT a Sabbath when we read Matthew 21.

First of all we’re going to focus on verse 8 – notice they were cutting down branches from trees. Is this something that is permitted on the Sabbath? NO. As a matter of fact, the Scriptures give us an instance where someone was merely picking up sticks on the Sabbath.

Num 15:32 And while the children of Yisra’el were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day.
Num 15:33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Mosheh and to Aharon, and to all the congregation.
Num 15:34 And they put him in under guard, because it had not been declared what should be done to him.
Num 15:35 And Yahuah said to Mosheh, “The man shall certainly be put to death, all the congregation stoning him with stones outside the camp.”
Num 15:36 And all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, as Yahuah commanded Mosheh, and he died.

This is actual Scriptural proof that gathering sticks on the Sabbath was prohibited. There is no doubt that chopping off branches of a tree would also be a violation of the Sabbath day. There is only one time when cutting branches on a Sabbath is acceptable and that is because it is a specific command to do so on a specific day.

Lev 23:39 ‘ON THE FIFTEENTH DAY OF THE SEVENTH MONTH, when you gather in the fruit of the land, observe the festival of Yahuah for seven days. On the first day is a rest, and on the eighth day a rest.
Lev 23:40 ‘And you shall take for yourselves on the first day the fruit of good trees, branches of palm trees, twigs of leafy trees, and willows of the stream, and shall rejoice before Yahuah your Elohim for seven days.
Lev 23:41 ‘And you shall observe it as a festival to Yahuah for seven days in the year – a law forever in your generations. Observe it in the seventh month.

Again, this is the only day where we find an exception to the rule; which obviously is NOT to be applied to every Sabbath. The 10th day of the first month, if it was a weekly Sabbath, is NOT an exception. Otherwise, we would find specific instructions in Torah – which we do not.

We can see that chopping off branches on a Sabbath would be a violation of the Sabbath. Our second indication that the 10th day of the first month is not a Sabbath is verse 12.

Mat 21:12 And Yahusha went into the Set-apart Place of Elohim and drove out all those buying and selling in the Set-apart Place, and overturned the tables of the moneychangers and the seats of those who sold doves.

This is the same day that Yahusha rode in on the donkey and He went into the Set-Apart place and drove out those buying and selling. This is an absolute violation of the Sabbath day. As a matter of fact, we can find where this is absolutely prohibited.

Neh 13:15 In those days I saw in Yahudah those treading wine presses on the Sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and loading donkeys with wine, grapes, and figs, and all kinds of burdens, which they brought into Yerushalayim on the Sabbath day. So I warned them on the day they sold food.
Neh 13:16 And men of Tsor dwelt there, bringing in fish and all kinds of goods, and sold them on the Sabbath to the children of Yahudah, and in Yerushalayim.
Neh 13:17 Then I contended with the nobles of Yahudah, and said to them, “What evil matter is this that you are doing, profaning the Sabbath day?
Neh 13:18 “Did not your fathers do the same so that our Elohim brought all this evil on us and on this city? Yet you bring added wrath on Yisra’el by profaning the Sabbath.”
Neh 13:19 And it came to be, at the gates of Yerushalayim, as it began to be dark before the Sabbath, that I commanded the gates to be shut, and commanded that they should not be opened till after the Sabbath. And I stationed some of my servants at the gates, so that no burdens would be brought in on the Sabbath day.
Neh 13:20 And the merchants and sellers of all kinds of wares spent the night outside Yerushalayim once or twice,
Neh 13:21 and I warned them, and said to them, “Why do you spend the night around the wall? If you do so again, I lay hands on you!” From that time on they came no more on the Sabbath.
Neh 13:22 And I commanded the Lewites that they should cleanse themselves, and they should come, guarding the gates, to set apart the Sabbath day. Remember me, O my Elohim, concerning this also, and pardon me according to the greatness of Your kindness!

According to Nehemiah they would shut the gates to the city to make sure that no one would be buying or selling on the Sabbath day inside of Yerushalayim. Obviously, buying and selling would be prohibited on the Sabbath but yet we see in verse 12 that is exactly what they were doing. Obviously, this was not a Sabbath.

Something more to consider:

Mat 21:14 And blind and lame ones came to Him in the Set-apart Place, and He healed them.
Mat 21:15 But when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonders which He did, and the children crying out in the Set-apart Place and saying, “Hoshia-na to the Son of Dawid!” they were greatly displeased,
Mat 21:16 and said to Him, “Do You hear what these say?”

Notice that the blind and the lame came to Him and He healed them? Is not that one of the problems the Pharisees had with Yahusha? His healing on the Sabbath day? Yet we see there is absolutely no mention of their displeasure towards Yahusha for healing on this day. Obviously it was not a Sabbath.

We also know that the Pharisees were greatly distressed by Yahusha when He healed the lame man on the Sabbath and told him to pick up his bed and walk:

Joh 5:6 When Yahusha saw him lying there, and knowing that he already had been a long time, He said to him, “Do you wish to become well?”

Joh 5:7 The sick man answered Him, “Master, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred, but while I am coming, another steps down before me.”
Joh 5:8 Yahusha said to him, “Rise, take up your bed and walk.”
Joh 5:9 And immediately the man became well, and he took up his bed and was walking. NOW IT WAS SABBATH ON THAT DAY.
Joh 5:10 The Yehudim therefore said to him who had been healed, “It is the Sabbath, it is not right for you to take up the bed.”
Joh 5:11 He answered them, “He who made me well said to me, ‘Take up your bed and walk.’ ”
Joh 5:12 Therefore they asked him, “Who is the Man who said to you, ‘Take up your bed and walk’?”
Joh 5:13 But the one who was healed did not know who it was, for Yahusha had moved away, a crowd being in that place.
Joh 5:14 Afterward Yahusha found him in the Set-apart Place, and said to him, “See, you have been made well. Sin no more, so that no worse matter befalls you.”
Joh 5:15 The man went away, and told the Yehudim that it was Yahusha who made him well.
Joh 5:16 And BECAUSE OF THIS THE YEHUDIM PERSECUTED YAHUSHA, AND WERE SEEKING TO KILL HIM, BECAUSE HE WAS DOING THESE HEALINGS ON THE SABBATH.

Verse 9 specifically mentions how it was the Sabbath, but yet in MattitYahu 21 there is no mention of it being a Sabbath and there is no mention of them being displeased for Yahusha healing on the Sabbath.

We can see that the Pharisees were so strict about the Sabbath that they considered carrying a bed to be a violation of the Torah but yet in Matt 21 we see the crowd cutting down branches off of trees and there is absolutely no mention of that ‘transgression’ and the buying and the selling in the Set-Apart place – if they would not allow a mat/bed to be carried on the Sabbath, then why would they allow cutting down branches and buying and selling on the Sabbath? Obviously they wouldn’t. This 10th day of the first month was NOT a Sabbath.

If those of the “Saturday” Sabbathers consider the 10th day of the first month to be the day that Yahusha rode in on the donkey then they have a serious problem with their doctrine. IF they choose to cling to this time line then they will have to come to the conclusion that when Yahusha rode in on the donkey that was NOT the fulfillment of the lamb selection; aka 10th day of the month.

Return to “Calendar Discussion”