"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

What Is The Scriptural Definition for Evening, Sundown, And

For the open discussion of all calendar related issues.

Moderator: Watchman555

BrotherArnold

Postby BrotherArnold » 09 Mar 2008, 16:04

Shalom Brother Greg,

I don't know who the scholar that you mentioned is or his credibility or if he believes the ancient Israel people actually reckoned a calendar day from morning to morning. The evidence you presented is not as clear as the evidence in Josephus and is open to interpretation. I will read the evidence and respond later, as time permits. Concerning Josephus, it seam’s to me that his statement shows how everyone understood how things were done during the time the temple was still standing, whether right or wrong doesn't matter. He could have told how the priest or the people of that they made candles and it does not matter if it was the right way or not, he just simply states how it was done.

What do you think about Brother Chuck idea that Genesis was from morning to morning and then actually reckoned from evening to evening later on? I never received any feedback from the following, which seems to indicate that the new moon day began at dark, same as the new moon day did in Genesis.

When Moses reared up the tabernacle on the first day of the new moon, the new moon day seems to have began at evening.
In Chapter 39 of Exodus we read how the children of Israel made the tabernacle and all the furniture and got everything ready that goes in the tabernacle, and in chapter 40:1 we read how Moses was instructed by YHWH to rear up the tabernacle on the FIRST DAY of the month and place everything in it. And in verse 17 through 33 of the same chapter we see that Moses followed these instructions and in verse 34 says THEN a CLOUD covered the tent of the congregation and the Glory of YHWH filled the tabernacle.

Having said this, which can be verified, I would like to point out the fact that if the NEW MOON day began at sunrise or at evening, they would have been ready to fulfill the Master’s Orders, either as soon as the sun rises or as soon as it becomes evening or sunset.

When we read Exodus 40:17 through verse 25, we find that the first day of the month began at evening because in verse 25 they lit the lamps and it was BEFORE the CLOUD covered the tabernacle the next morning period of the new moon day, verse 34. i.e. it was a evening then morning new moon day.

Another clue that this new moon day began at evening is in Leviticus 40:29, Moses offered the burnt offering which is to burn upon the altar ALL NIGHT, from evening until morning according to Leviticus 6:9 which says, "Command Aaron and his sons, saying, this is the Law of the burn offering: it is the burnt offering, BECAUSE of the burning upon the altar all night UNTO the MORNING"

I want to point out that Exodus through Leviticus was not divided into books and if you read Exodus 40:35 and then read Leviticus 1:1 you will see that Leviticus is a continuation of Exodus, i.e. it is all one writing and the first part is called Exodus because it tells of the leaving Egypt until the tabernacle set up in Exodus 34:5 and Moses could not enter because of the Glory of YHWH and Leviticus 1:1 continues with YHWH calling to Moses from out of the tabernacle that they set up, and chapter eight of Leviticus shows that they are still on the new moon day. Had the day began at sunrise, all this would not be possible. I have much more to offer on this, but want to get some thought from the opposition first.

Keep in mind that around this time of year the day at night would contain approximately 12 hours in a day and the opponents will probably drag out the time that it would take to stand this tent up and sit the furniture inside and light the lamps that are to be lit in the evening. I say this portable tent/tabernacle could be reared up and taken down within a couple of hours if that long, probably 20 or 30 minutes. The show bread could be baking while this army of Levites reared up the tent and set the furniture inside.
Lunar Sabbaths is one of the most provable doctrines in Scripture...

Brother Arnold
See www.lunarsabbath.info

Return to “Calendar Discussion”