"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

Honey

All things from selecting seeds through to harvesting are welcome in this thread.

Moderator: Watchman555

kathybyers2000

Honey

Postby kathybyers2000 » 05 Nov 2007, 19:58

Okay - pardon my ignorance for a moment please and if you can, please help me to know the difference in honey's. Some honeys are clover honey (this is the "typical" honey) but other honey is blackberry honey or any other variety. They all taste the same to me. Can anybody share with me what the difference is between different "kinds" of honey?

And also, if there are any central Indy honey farmers, please contact me to let me know. Can't find local honey anywhere lately.

Shalom,

Kathy

Chayil_Ishshah

Postby Chayil_Ishshah » 05 Nov 2007, 20:13

:?:
I think it all depends on what type of flower the bees are pollinating. We watched a special on the PBS station the other day about the dwindling bee population.

Part of the segment was on beekeepers that took their hives to certain lavender fields and set them up there to they could pollinate the plants. The resulting honey is highly sought after. (This was in France).

As far as a local honey producer -

Majenica Creek Honey Farm, Inc.
5386 W 200 S
Huntington, IN 46750
(260) 468-2657

Don't know a lot about them tho, and they are closer to us than you.

~dawn

kathybyers2000

Thanks for the info

Postby kathybyers2000 » 05 Nov 2007, 21:03

Very helpful. Patrick and I are considering working bee-keeping in to our future farm. The healing power of honey on the body is too great for us to just bat our eyes at it.

We have some issues with allergies in the spring and fall and have found that proper diet and the right amount of local honey(comb - if you can find it) is extremely beneficial in healing those allergens without having to turn to med docs who are quick to shoot you up with "magic" juice or right you out a script for a chemical potion.

I'm not sure where Huntington is, but they may know somebody nearer to me that keeps bee's - thanks for that contact - :D

Shalom,

kathy

chosen

Postby chosen » 07 Nov 2007, 13:09

Kathy,

when i lived in santa fe, new mexico, i had a friend tell me to use the pollen of local bees. You could buy it in the health food grocery stores there. I was told that taking the pollen would help with any allergies.

Shalom,

chosen

Remnant

Postby Remnant » 14 Feb 2008, 18:33

Shalom, YHWH bless you!
I have a great fondness of bees. As a young child, I remember the bees on my Grandmothers farm. I would chew the comb as if it was gum. The flavor of the honey was so spectacular. Ah, the days of long-ago. I was not able to be at my Grandmothers farm past age eleven. Deep sadness of the movement into womens liberation, “State Encouraged Family Abandonment Actâ€

Return to “Out in the Garden”