"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

Purchasing Seed for the Garden

All things from selecting seeds through to harvesting are welcome in this thread.

Moderator: Watchman555

Tewey

Purchasing Seed for the Garden

Postby Tewey » 10 May 2008, 01:44

Shalom Everyone,

May the Peace and Blessings of Yah be upon you.

We are presently living in the Year of 5,996 A.C. (after the Creation of Adam). This year will begin a "great destruction" upon the Earth. And...I believe that we have already seen this begin. The Tempest (tornado) which occurred in Myanmar killing 100,000, Tornadoes in the Southern Part of the U.S., Droughts that are World Wide, Food Shortages, Earthquakes, Spread of Disease, and Volcanic Activity, etc. should not be taken lightly. I am expecting these things to become MAGNIFIED.

I invested $400.00 in Garden Variety Seeds in early Spring. This included Potatoes, Tomatoes, Green Beans, Peas, Cabbage, Turnips, Pumpkins, Watermelons, Radishes, Mustard Greens, Onions, etc... The Reason for purchasing so much Seed is because we are heading directly into Economic Depression and the "possibility" that the U.S. Economy is going to COLLAPSE. If the latter occurs, it will be difficult to obtain Food, Seed, Plants, and the other things necessary to make life a little less demanding.

I work with my Hands because Yah has promised us that he will bless the Work of our Hands, Deut. 24:19. Any equipment that I use is Hand Operated. Because of this Method of Working, I enjoy Good Health. At the age of 62, my Heart Strength is "above normal", and I have no Blockages. Of course, some of this comes from eating a "kosher diet", and I realize that TOMORROW is not promised to any person.

It is MY SUGGESTION to everyone that you begin to purchase as much Seed as you possibly can. After the "spring rush" ends and most people have planted their Gardens, Seed will be put on Sale. Sometimes you will find 10 packages for $1.00. Each package may contain 25-30 seed. While this does not seem like a lot of Seed, 30 Tomato Seed will produce 15-30 Bushel of Tomatoes! In addition, I suggest that you begin purchasing Tools like Shovels, Pitch Forks, Hoes, and other Hand Operated Tools. It is very possible that Fuel will become very Expensive and Difficult to obtain.

Seed can be STORED for long periods of time. Seed 400 years old have been found in Sunken Ships in containers that were SEALED. When planted, they were found to be VIABLE and produced plants without any special treatment. To store Seed, simply keep them in a Cool, Dark, Dry place. One of the Best Ways I have found to store Seed is to put them in Glass Jars with a New Lid and Ring.

In the Name of Yahusha ben Adam I remain,

Tewey

Chayil_Ishshah

Postby Chayil_Ishshah » 14 May 2008, 07:18

Greetings Tewey,

Out of wonderment, did you buy heirloom seeds? My husband and I are going to try to preserve seeds after this years harvest. Have you had success at doing so? Also, what about freezing the seeds? Would that force them into dormancy and have them last longer?

Thanks for posting.

~Chayil
Repent, for the reign of the heavens is at hand.

Tewey

Heirloom Seed

Postby Tewey » 14 May 2008, 10:46

Shalom Chayil,

May the Peace and Blessings of Yah be upon you.

I have been gardening for a long time, and I have certain Seeds that I usually start each year. In the Past, I have always purchased New Seed each season, but this year, I am attempting to try something different. I will be saving seeds.

Heirloom Seeds product the same Fruit/Vegetable from year to year. Many of the Seeds that are sold today are produced from Fruits and Vegetables that result from the Cross Breeding of Two Plants of Different Variety. In other words, the Mr. Stripey Tomato is "probably" a result of Interbreeding a Red and a Yellow Variety of Tomato. The Mr. Stripey Tomato will have both Red and Yellow Colors. When you save the Mr. Stripey Tomato Seed, the Fruit produced from these seed will "probably" be Tomatoes that will be much Smaller and of a Red or Yellow Color. In other words, they will not Reproduce TRUE to size, color, and taste.

I would not attempt to FREEZE Seeds. Once the Seed is Dry, it is Dormant. This is WHY you can purchase Seeds months before planting. They will remain Dormant as long as they do not get "wet". Simply store your Seeds in a Cool, Dry, Dark Place. You might find that Glass Canning Jars with New Lids will be ideal for storing seeds. You could place the Jars in a Box to prevent the Light from entering, or you could paint the Jars with "glass paint".

I recently read that a container was recovered from a 400 year old Sunken Ship. In the container there were Seeds that had been protected from the Water by some sort of a Seal. When planted, the Seed were still viable.

I used to have a Tomato Variety called "STUMP TOMATOES". Foolishly, I did not save any of the Seed although I had intended to keep the Variety going. The man who gave me the Tomatoes had replanted the same seed for 35 years! The Tomato Vine was Thick and Strong. The Tomato tasted much like the Mortgage Lifter, a variety that I really like.

I planted a Variety of Corn called BLOODY BUTCHER. It is an Heirloom Variety. Bloody Butcher is a "colored corn" that I understand to be GREAT for Animals to eat. This is because it contains a Higher Fat Content than normally found in Field Corn. It is known to grow to a Height of 10-12 Feet. A neighbor gave me Three Ears of Blood Butcher which probably amounts to a Pound. I also purchased a Pound off the Internet at the Cost of $21.00 per pound! When it comes time to Harvest the Corn, I will sell part of it for Decorations and get back the money invested. The Rest of the Corn will become Feed for my Animals, and the Corn Stocks will be dried and ground into Feed. In other words, nothing will be wasted.

Chayil, my advice to everyone is simple. Plant, cultivate, and harvest all of the Fruits & Vegetables you can this year. Next year will "probably" begin the Great Tribulation. Can, Dry, and Freeze as much Food as Possible, but don't depend upon the Freezer as you main means of Preserving Food. The Price of Electricity is expected to Double before 2009 due to the Rising Cost of Fuels, and if the economy does collapse, electricity may not be available. You can Dry a very large amount of Food by simply getting a 4 x 8 Sheet of Plywood and painting it black. I make a Screen Wire Covering for the Plwood to prevent the Bugs/Flys from getting on the Vegetables while they are drying. The Vegetables will be prepared for Drying by cutting, stringing the beans, etc. and dipping them in water containing Lemon Juice or Vinegar. This prevents the "browning" of the Vegetables when they are dried. Remember to cover the Drying Items at night to prevent them from absorbing the Morning's Dew. It takes approximately 4 days to completely dry most things. By simply keeping the Dried Vegetables from becoming Damp, they will last for years. Around eight years ago, I dried 600 Green Peppers. I still use them in Chili, Spagetti, on Pizza, etc... You simply Rehydrate them by putting the Peppers in Water.

In the Name of Yahusha ben Adam I remain,

Tewey

Return to “Out in the Garden”