"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

polygyny

Moderator: Watchman555

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 01 Mar 2008, 20:32

CONCLUSION:
I THINK THAT WE HAVE BEEN AROUND THE OLE MOUNTAIN HERE ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT WE DISAGREE ON SOME ISSUES - I'D RATHER AGREE TO DISAGREE AND DISCONTINUE ANY MORE DISCUSSION. FOR ONE THING, YOU ARE INCREASINGLY ADDING JABS AND RUDE STATEMENTS INTO THE CONVERSATION AND I DON'T WANT TO ARGUE OR FEEL OFFENDED WITH YOU. A PERSON IS NOT RIGHT BECAUSE THEY SAY, "YOU ARE WRONG." THAT IS NOT A REASONABLE RESPONSE, AND WE ARE GOING DOWN THAT PATH. I ALSO FEEL THAT YOU ARE MIS-CHARACTERIZING ME IN THIS DISCUSSION, SO I'D MOST LIKELY RATHER END IT HERE IF IT'S JUST REHASHING THE SAME OLD POINTS OF DISAGREEMENT.

I wasn't taking "jabs" at you sister. I was only trying to make light of the conversation. But since you want to get serious, let me be blunt.

If you believe you can make statements that are Scripturally false, and then shut me up when you are finished, you'd be mistaken. Contentious women don't scare me.

Your religious propaganda doesn't empower women, it is dangerous and Un-Scriptural and if you are offended by that then you should be. And any woman who believes in a loving, righteous marriage of partnership should be offended by your dogma.

There is nothing unreasonable about saying "you are wrong". You are. I guess saying "you are wrong" is somehow worse than "that's absurd", hmmm?

You have twisted the meaning of marriage and Proverbs 31 into something superficial and trite and I have called you on it. It disrupts your liberation crusade, I understand. But your spiritual priorities toward marriage are a little mixed up.

You don't build doctrine based on your or someone else negative experiences. You build doctrine based on the Torah. Even if the people you know have gone through bad situations, your solutions are not Scriptural. There must be a Scriptural solution to marital problems, not a "contractual" solution. Shame on you to suggest such a thing to vulnerable, struggling women. That type of rhetoric won't go unchallenged here.
Shalom in the name of YHWH,

Eriq

principessa-yisraeliana

Postby principessa-yisraeliana » 02 Mar 2008, 10:22

And, I have perceived you to be an argumentative and contentious man, not only in this thread but in others.

I have absolutely based my position on the Torah.

Torah commands that a man provide for his wife, and not diminish that provision if taking on #2.

Torah absolutely commands that we are not numbered (SSAN & birth cert.) We are now chattel of the whore's system if we are in this.

Torah absolutely commands that we not use unjust weights and measures--which means not use commercial paper, Federal Reserve Notes and instruments of securities, etc. We are to weigh or count or measure our property for exchange.

Torah absolutely commands that we be personally liable for our acts, and pay for our debts and torts out of our own substance (not engage in limited liability, which includes fictitious entities of commerce such as LLC's, Corps., insurance, etc.)

Torah commands that we not charge usury, and that means not be involved in the banking industry, loan industry, etc.

Most men in the USA, and likely many here, are in clear violation of these areas of Torah. Deut. 28 says that we are to FULLY OBEY to receive the blessing. If A MAN does not fully obey, then he will be betrothed to a woman and she will be given to another that he may lay with her. And his children will be given to another man as well.

This is why it is crucial to get one's house together before taking a wife or rearing children. This is why it is also crucial not to take on Wife #2 and raise more children under a curse before becoming compliant with the absolute and plainly stated requirements of the Law. That is not responsible, obedient or ethical. Of course, it's the women and children who suffer greatly for man's sin and lack and that is ostensibly not foremost in your mind. If it's sin while a man is unmarried, the sin is multiplied if he is married. The sin is further magnified if he takes on additional wives. He not only sins, but he causes others to sin and suffer greatly.

Marriage IS a contract -- how foolish that you ignore this simple truth. It was to be a contract between a man and another man, about PROPERTY! Valuable property, indeed! A man's daughter and potential grandchildren (inheritance) are being contracted for in exchange for a bride price/dowry. A father's obligation to provide ceases at that point and the new husband's begins. It IS very much about financial consideration, and this is borne out in scripture as well. This is why a man who diminishes the portion of Wife #1 to take on another does not get his dowry/bride price back if Wife #1 returns to daddy's house--he has violated Torah and is in breach of his obligation to properly provide in the manner he had contracted to perform. Notice, it did not say that the penalty kicked in only if the man completely failed to provide, but he was DIMINISHING the portion of the first wife. That level of provision was certainly spelled out in the contract/ketubah to where it would be measured and judged if diminished. Daddy and new hubby contracted specifics...about PROPERTY issues.

This nation and world is about to go thru COLLAPSE because we have sinned greatly. If men and families do not obey Torah in these areas, the birthpangs of judgment and plague and suffering will hit hard. The "Come out of Her MY People" is not just about pagan religion. It is about coming out of this [global whorish Babylonian] system of commerce that holds THE SOULS OF MEN... as chattel.

Go ahead and take your multiple wives without consideration of obedience to the entirety of the Law -- it is your free will to do so. And as David and others have said in the Tanakh, "Let YHVH judge between me and thee" re this matter.

I have brought forth truth from the Torah, but you admit that you don't even see the relevance. So be it!
I will sift the house of Ephraim among all nations, as grain is sifted in a
sieve; yet shall not the least kernel fall upon the earth. (Amos 9:9)

kickme

Postby kickme » 02 Mar 2008, 13:07

I have a different understanding of Ex. 21 than you do, if you care to hear it sometime, I'll elaborate. I don't think that portion is speaking of polygyny.

principessa-yisraeliana

Postby principessa-yisraeliana » 02 Mar 2008, 14:08

kickme wrote:I have a different understanding of Ex. 21 than you do, if you care to hear it sometime, I'll elaborate. I don't think that portion is speaking of polygyny.

Sure, I'll message you.

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 02 Mar 2008, 14:54

principessa-yisraeliana wrote:And, I have perceived you to be an argumentative and contentious man, not only in this thread but in others.

You may also notice that I only "contend" against false doctrine, especially when the perpetrator is trying to spread it to others.

Titus
1:10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision:
1:11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake

This looks at lot like what you are doing. I don't have a problem arguing and contending with that.

I have absolutely based my position on the Torah.

Torah commands that a man provide for his wife, and not diminish that provision if taking on #2.

Torah absolutely commands that we are not numbered (SSAN & birth cert.) We are now chattel of the whore's system if we are in this.

Torah absolutely commands that we not use unjust weights and measures--which means not use commercial paper, Federal Reserve Notes and instruments of securities, etc. We are to weigh or count or measure our property for exchange.

Torah absolutely commands that we be personally liable for our acts, and pay for our debts and torts out of our own substance (not engage in limited liability, which includes fictitious entities of commerce such as LLC's, Corps., insurance, etc.)

Torah commands that we not charge usury, and that means not be involved in the banking industry, loan industry, etc.

Most men in the USA, and likely many here, are in clear violation of these areas of Torah. Deut. 28 says that we are to FULLY OBEY to receive the blessing. If A MAN does not fully obey, then he will be betrothed to a woman and she will be given to another that he may lay with her. And his children will be given to another man as well.

No one would argue that these commands are in the Torah, but you are making them all the focus of marriage! They are not the focus of marriage, they are the focus of righteousness as a whole, whether a person is married or not.

You're saying that a man has to be sinless and perfect before he can get married?! If that's the case, no one in human history should EVER have gotten married. Not to mention, you haven't stated once what a woman's responsibility toward obedience to Torah is. The laws you quoted above aren't just for MEN, they are for women as well.

Yes we should obey the law, but your outrages standard of "perfection of the man" BEFORE marriage is NOT what Torah commands at all.

Marriage IS a contract -- how foolish that you ignore this simple truth. It was to be a contract between a man and another man, about PROPERTY! Valuable property, indeed! A man's daughter and potential grandchildren (inheritance) are being contracted for in exchange for a bride price/dowry. A father's obligation to provide ceases at that point and the new husband's begins.

The issue between the man and the father may be about finance to some degree, but marriage itself is a "covenant" that is not about property.

I sincerely caution all of you women here to be extremely cautious of "millionaire matchmaker" here.... who believes all men should be sinless and rich before marrying! Where do you find such a man?

It IS very much about financial consideration, and this is borne out in scripture as well. This is why a man who diminishes the portion of Wife #1 to take on another does not get his dowry/bride price back if Wife #1 returns to daddy's house--he has violated Torah and is in breach of his obligation to properly provide in the manner he had contracted to perform. Notice, it did not say that the penalty kicked in only if the man completely failed to provide, but he was DIMINISHING the portion of the first wife. That level of provision was certainly spelled out in the contract/ketubah to where it would be measured and judged if diminished. Daddy and new hubby contracted specifics...about PROPERTY issues.

No doubt this is A statute, but you are the foolish one to have reduced marriage to be all about this... shame on you and any woman who listens to you.

This nation and world is about to go thru COLLAPSE because we have sinned greatly. If men and families do not obey Torah in these areas, the birthpangs of judgment and plague and suffering will hit hard. The "Come out of Her MY People" is not just about pagan religion. It is about coming out of this [global whorish Babylonian] system of commerce that holds THE SOULS OF MEN... as chattel.

It seems as though you are encouraging women to exchange one "whorish" financial system for another one.

Go ahead and take your multiple wives without consideration of obedience to the entirety of the Law -- it is your free will to do so. And as David and others have said in the Tanakh, "Let YHVH judge between me and thee" re this matter.

I have brought forth truth from the Torah, but you admit that you don't even see the relevance. So be it!

I see the relevance of the Torah, but what I don't get is why you have made the Torah and marriage all about finance.
Last edited by eriqbenel on 02 Mar 2008, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

Eriq

kickme

Postby kickme » 02 Mar 2008, 14:55

I'll try to type it up later today, possibly this evening. I'd like to be able to have time to gather the thoughts and be able to put them into text that is clear and understandable.

principessa-yisraeliana

Postby principessa-yisraeliana » 02 Mar 2008, 16:55

eriqbenel wrote:

I see the relevance of the Torah, but what I don't get is why you have made the Torah and marriage all about finance.

First, Eriq - you and I do agree that polygyny is permissible according to Torah. I'm not trying to abrogate that doctrine.

However, marriage IS 100% about property and, in the patriarchal system that is the heritage of the scriptures, women and children ARE indeed property. Commercial paper, stocks and bonds are not property. Gold, silver, wheat, corn, oil, honey, etc. are property. If a man will deal in property (private business, including his labor), then he is not involved in the commerce/commercial business which is a part of the beast system. If we only dealt in property, we would actually be VERY fruitful and prosper greatly as did the forefathers (this is why I referred to those links to George Gordon in this thread--he is one who has put this to the test and and is a great example, prospering hand over fist over the past decades.)

A marriage covenant/contract is all about property, and nothing else besides property in its legal essence. If Yahuah ordains the marriage, there will be great love also. You can see this beautiful facet in the patriarchs' marriages. Love is also an act of the will, and I've dealt with many Middle Eastern people as clients and have seen many arranged marriages. They love their spouses with a great love that I haven't often seen here, actually.

It is permissible for a man to sell his daughter to be a handmaiden/servant. If that's all he can do with her, then I guess that's her lot in life. (I do believe in slavery/bond-servanthood as a scriptural doctrine.)

However, generally, a father of a beautiful daughter from a fine family would seek to create a link with another fine family that will create a prosperous union of the two families. He would undoubtedly ask for a hefty bride price for her. There is nothing wrong with this! You seem to have an aversion to prosperity, perhaps?

So, I will concede to you Eriq --

YES, WOMEN, YOU ARE PERMITTED TO BE GIVEN AS A HANDMAID/SERVANT TO A MAN -- AND -- YOU ARE LIKEWISE PERMITTED TO MARRY TO A FINE MAN FROM A PROSPEROUS FAMILY! If your father gives you in marriage to either, you should be content. If you, like Abigail or Bathsheba, are blessed to interact with the King and have royal offspring from him, halleluyah!

I know that I am indeed descended from David and from kings so perhaps I have a different view of things and how I expect to be treated - in my very DNA.

Why is divorce at an all-time high? Presumably, because Deut. 28 kicked in and the women are given to another man that he may lay with her, and his children are also given to another. The penalty is against the man -- and this is what our country has reaped in the last decades. In Maricopa County, Arizona, the divorce rate is over 80%. The penalty is against the man but the women and children suffer immensely.

Those mandates of Torah that I set out in the prev. post are not being met by most believers, and they are germane to the consideration of taking one wife OR more wives. If someone is already married, then they just need to work on coming into obedience from where they are at. But why take on more family while one is out of order, not fully obedient to Torah, and have your wife and children taken from you and given to another? The law is clear that those things must be obeyed -- and in this hour especially those statutes are being revealed and the scales are being removed. We are about to enter into a bleak period of history and be JUDGED. Why multiply judgment and suffering and why not choose LIFE and escape judgment?

I think that the problem here is that you don't really see those violations of Torah for being as serious as what they are, and that they are the very thing that the subject of Rev. 18-20 speaks of.

I sincerely caution all of you women here to be extremely cautious of "millionaire matchmaker" here.... who believes all men should be sinless and rich before marrying! Where do you find such a man?

It sounds like you're worried for the brothers that if the women wise up and refuse to settle for lazy, lawless, debt-ridden and/or deadbeats to wed, then the brothers will be SOL and won't get their extra lassies to wive cuz they're guilty as charged? Yes, I admit -- I hope the gig is up. I hope that women will wait until they find a suitable mate who can afford to raise up heirs and leave an inheritance. A wise man leaves an inheritance to his children and his children's children. (paraphrase)

BTW...what about the bride price, guys? Are you ready to cough that up? Are you willing to work for 7 years, and then 7 more as a bond-servant to your future father-in-law to obtain that lassie? I thinketh noteth. 40 hrs. week x $20/hr labor x 52 weeks x 7 years = $291K (Tell me again money has no bearing on this topic.)

Most polygyny talk I hear is all about the men's desire/need for variety in sex and the FRUITFUL/MULTIPLY mandate being fulfilled. You have to have finances and land to put all these children on, and you can hardly leave inheritance to all as the scripture speaks of if you are debt-ridden, poor, or on govt. assistance! Hello!

Like I said, I think that there are one or two men on this forum that are outside the system and do have their own property. I have NO PROBLEM with them taking on another wife if they so chose. I counsel my son to prepare himself and have his life in order before taking a bride, and to choose carefully.

I have read commentary about Abraham, that if it had not been for Sarah, he would probably have been very content with his firstborn male offspring, Ishmael. It was Sarah who kicked up a fuss of righteous indignation and forced the issue, and Yahuah told Abraham to heed all that Sarah said to do. Women are saved through childbirth, and we're all about protecting our progeny!! That does not just include finances -- of course, the rest of Torah observance is also of prime importance. Wedding a man of character in every respect is tantamount. I am focusing here in this thread on property issues because it's the issue I see come up again and again as the cause of problems. And it is scriptural and it is important.

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 02 Mar 2008, 20:33

However, marriage IS 100% about property and, in the patriarchal system that is the heritage of the scriptures, women and children ARE indeed property...

Ok ladies, is this what your marriage is all about? Is that what you believe YHWH intended marriage to be about?

A marriage covenant/contract is all about property, and nothing else besides property in its legal essence....

That is completely horrible in essence.

It is permissible for a man to sell his daughter to be a handmaiden/servant. If that's all he can do with her, then I guess that's her lot in life. (I do believe in slavery/bond-servanthood as a scriptural doctrine.)

Please ladies and gentlemen who have daughters, take a look into your daughters eyes right now, and tell me if you agree with this?

I know that I am indeed descended from David and from kings so perhaps I have a different view of things and how I expect to be treated - in my very DNA....

Now I understand.... she's delusional!

BTW...what about the bride price, guys? Are you ready to cough that up? Are you willing to work for 7 years, and then 7 more as a bond-servant to your future father-in-law to obtain that lassie? I thinketh noteth. 40 hrs. week x $20/hr labor x 52 weeks x 7 years = $291K ...

Is 291K ALL you ladies are worth? I "thinketh noteth"... what a silly notion..

I have read commentary about Abraham, that if it had not been for Sarah, he would probably have been very content with his firstborn male offspring, Ishmael. It was Sarah who kicked up a fuss of righteous indignation and forced the issue, and Yahuah told Abraham to heed all that Sarah said to do. Women are saved through childbirth, and we're all about protecting our progeny!!....

It was Sarah who told Avraham to take Hagar in the first place! There is nothing you can say to such ignorance...

If you give someone enough rope...

I don't think I need to say anymore... If the women (and men) reading this aren't convinced by now that Cheri is a heretic, Jezebel, and delusional, then there is nothing more I can say.

I hope her "owner" is a happy man.

BTW, I never had any of my "property" demand rights, and dictate its position of honor or dishonor in my house. Property is usually bought and sold at the behest of the buyer and seller, and given whatever place the owner chooses. Property has no rights.

Eriq

kickme

Postby kickme » 02 Mar 2008, 23:09

OK, here goes, in Ex. 21, immediately following the passage about the bondservant who became a lifelong servant out of love for his master:

Exo 21:7 “And when a man sells his daughter to be a female servant, she does not go out as the male servants do.
Exo 21:8 “If she is displeasing in the eyes of her master who has engaged her to himself, then he shall let her be ransomed. He shall have no authority to sell her to a foreign people, because of him deceiving her.
Exo 21:9 “And if he has engaged her to his son, he is to do to her as is the right of daughters.
Exo 21:10 “If he takes another wife, her food, her covering, and her marriage rights are not to be diminished.
Exo 21:11 “And if he does not do these three for her, then she shall go out for naught, without silver.

Now, like it or not, these folks did things differently than we do today, I'm not calling either side more or less righteous, just stating facts.
See, in those days, a man could sell (basically pre-entroth for the bride price) his daughter out to a man in order to get himself and his family out of a bind. From what I understand, it wasn't for slavery in the sense we think of it today, but it was a contractual thing, that the master paid the bride price, or a portion of it and raised this young girl as his own, usually for a wife as his son, but occasionally for a wife for himself. Thus, "she does not go out as the male servants do. " She is betrothed, she is not on the available list.
Now, if this girl isn't pleasing to her master for some reason, then she can be ransomed, bought back by the family or a close relative, but she cannot be sold to a foreigner because she had been tricked into thinking she was to be married to her master's son or to the master himself. So, Yahweh was concerned about the state of this woman, that she shouldn't be bought and sold as chattel, espeically by trickery. So the man was required to be a man of honour.
Now is where it gets fun, because of the wording. Lots of if/then statements, which keeps one on their toes. So, IF the girl's brideprice was paid for the son's sake by the master, now certain things have to be done. If you notice, the master is required here to treat this girl as his own daughter. OK, now for the an IF IF statement: IF the son takes another, ie, he didn't like his dad's choice for him, evidently he could say "No thanks, Dad", then Dad, the master had some THEN statements to deal with. He could not abuse this girl for his son's rejection of her. He still had to clothe, feed and allow her to get married. In other words, he still had to be humane to this girl even though his son rejected what he thought was best, spurning his dad's investment in both this girl's and the master's son.
Now another IF statement: If the master didn't provide for the girl and see that she had opportunity to marry and bear children, THEN she was free to go without anyone at all giving this master the bride price. This arrangement protected the woman, and interestingly enough, could also provide for a poor man who couldn't afford the normal bride price. So, this THEN statement protected the woman from abuse, and if a man was ballsy enough to push it, she could go to the elders, make her case, and then the man was punished by losing his investment, both the initial and the costs of raising her, the woman was released from this situation, and a poor man who couldn't afford the brideprice could now marry this young lady and treasure her as a man ought to.

Hopefully I've managed to communicate what this passage speaks to me without butchering anything, but I just don't see this passage as speaking directly to polygyny. I don't see it as a 'standard' to meet before taking additional wives, although that principle is useful anyway. As far as I'm concerned, no man should take a wife unless reasonable assurance can be made that he is able to take care of her. That to me was the whole point of the brideprice in the first place. If one could raise the brideprice, then most likely said person was responsible enough to provide for his new wife and any additional members they would be blessed with.

Alrighty, now, you two, resume your bickering....

principessa-yisraeliana

Postby principessa-yisraeliana » 03 Mar 2008, 01:40

Now, like it or not, these folks did things differently than we do today, I'm not calling either side more or less righteous, just stating facts.

Actually, I think you did a great job with the passage! I like your conclusion also, that if the law provided protection for a girl in this situation, how much more would a woman be provided for in a more customary arrangement with a bride price paid.

And I have never known a man to work seven years solid to pay a bride price for a wife --- and I believe that if he did, he would surely prize her and love her with all his being and substance. Rachel was so loved and that union brought forth the beloved sons Joseph and Benjamin. Obviously, Yahuah blessed the union and was in the choosing and the entire arrangment.

Rebekah was given two bracelets of 10 shekels of gold -- she was also promised during this time that she would possess the gates of her enemies. The picture is so beautiful, to me, perhaps of the 2 bracelets symbolizing the 2 houses coming together as prophesied in Zech. 9 the bow of Judah and arrow of Ephraim. And the 10 shekels signifying completeness, etc. Not a bad dowry!

I read an article recently written by, of all people, the Mormons, about Abraham, Sarah and Hagar. If you delete all the references to their books and peculiar doctrines, it was actually interesting commentary. They gave some background that I had not heard of about Sarah having been a naditu priestess before her marriage? I have never heard that before, but it was interesting.

"The question of inheritance through a legitimate son seems to have some affinity to ancient Mesopotamian religious practices. Savina Teubal has suggested that Sarah may have belonged to a group of Mesopotamian priestesses comparable to that of the Akkadian naditu. Such a priestess would have considerable wealth of her own. Teubal writes: "That Abram is laden with wealth (that includes assets of the priestess) reflects Babylonian custom, where the husband administered the possessions of his naditu-wife."43 It was also the practice of the naditu that they remained childless and other women were designated to have children to become their heirs. Teubal uses the hypothesis to explain that Sarah was childless by choice and was given a companion (Hagar) to have children for her. The Lord may have alluded to such a tradition when he said in Doctrine and Covenants 132:34 that "God commanded Abraham, and Sarah gave Hagar to Abraham to wife. And why did she do it? Because this was the law."

http://farms.byu.edu/publications/bookschapter.php?chapid=170

I'm not saying it's true, but I would like to search the matter out further. Certainly, customs of these people are not our own at the present time, and we need to understand scripture in terms of their customs and not our own. Especially not Greco-Roman (Christian) traditions about romance, love, etc.

principessa-yisraeliana

Postby principessa-yisraeliana » 03 Mar 2008, 11:35

eriqbenel wrote:
A marriage covenant/contract is all about property, and nothing else besides property in its legal essence....

That is completely horrible in essence.

Eriq, I completely understand why you and the rest of our culture of this modern country would think this. Since the Civil War, Civil Rights Movement, etc. we Americans have shifted from the traditional view of bondservanthood and any talk of being property, bondservants, slaves, servants, subjects, etc. is anathema. We have been told that we are 'free', all the while the powers that be actually speedily and craftily went about to enslave us in insidious ways - and couched that enslavement in terms of privilege, franchise, limited liability, freedom, 'civil' RIGHTS, etc. etc.

I have seen in my own state's statute books even just a couple of decades ago, that our Titles which cover "Employment Law" were formerly entitled "Master-Servant Law". That is not politically correct to call your employer your "Master" and you his "Servant", of course, and it had to go and was abrogated by the legislature. In other words, the legislators were 'deities' creating law - adding to and subtracting from the ETERNAL LAW of Yahuah and his Torah. Now, in our state, we have huge debates about whether an officer who neglects his K-9 police dog and leaves it in the car accidentally should be charged with MURDER! As if....it was a human being. When someone suggested that that dog was property of the police department but not a human that could be murdered, the public was outraged! Our sense of categorizing these areas of law has greatly shifted over the years, and the shift is AWAY from Torah.

Canadians know that they are 'subjects' of the Queen. We in American believe that we are 'free', and don't really see our status correctly.

So, while I understand your response to my statement, I would also point out again that human beings are important to YHVH and that He didn't outlaw bondservanthood, but did provide laws to protect and mete out justice in many respects for the bondservant. Bondservanthood was practiced in the early days of our country, and is the method by which Yahuah keeps us responsible for our actions. If I am reckless and set fire to my land and it burns your land and home, I must pay for your damages up to all of my substance/wealth. If that is insufficient to cover the damages, then I must work for you until it is paid off. Then, after paid, I am released again as a Freeman, hence the term, "Common Law Freeman" in our country's history. We also remember the widow who inquired of Elisha for help lest her sons be sold into bondservanthood to pay the family's debts.

After the Civil War, the slaves were set free and the Constitution amended to never again allow this horrible, horrible practice of slavery and personal accountability (I'm not sayin that Americans followed Torah re owning slaves...many of them should have been freed, at least after 50 years. So, our country was actually judged, IMO.) With the abolition of slavery in the technical, individual sense, the govt. and big business began a new form of insidious slavery with insurance (including national 'Social Security'insurance) and increase in limited liability, privilege licenses (which actually take away our inalienable rights), fictitious entities of commerce, and all other forms of Maritime law. Admiralty courts have now replaced most of the Common Law courts in our country, and we don't even realize the type of court we're walking into!

All this said as foundation and background---YES, the wife and the children are the property and 'treasure' of the man. That does not mean that the human "property" does not have IMMENSE VALUE. All the contrary.

From a legal point of view, America has strayed from this legal position of property and even servanthood in recent history, but it doesn't negate the true scriptural view. My view is that your point about the value of the wife and children and my point about the true legal nature of the property are both valid at the same time. Jacob worked SEVEN LONG YEARS for his wife, and then got another. He worked SEVEN MORE LONG YEARS for the woman he loved, and then paid the bride price with that 14 years of labor. He did it because she was immensely valuable and desired and loved---but it was a contract with her father for Rachel. I would contend that a man who would pay a bride price like this would also take care of her as his Queen. That does not negate the fact that the woman was contracted for and paid for with the consideration of his labor. This woman would give him heirs -- she is not a chicken or a goat -- but exquisitely prized 'property'. In many ways, the wife has superior rights and privileges, even if she is technically LEGALLY his property.

In recent years, the trend in court decisions has been to strip men of their parental rights in divorces and then at the same make them pay child support to the state. Some men disgustingly refer to alimony and child support as 'vagina money'--nevertheless, their anger is understandable because they have been hamstrung and their rights stripped. The man also oftentimes has all his marital property taken away in the divorce, or at least half of it. Community Property rights in various states have given women equal status - but this is not the case in Torah. She was to return to her father's house - and if father had died, the firstborn male was to care for the widows, etc., as patriarch of the clan. The firstborn male received the double portion so that he could take on this duty for the family. In Torah marriages, the husband would keep all his property (including children if he wanted them I would imagine.) She would keep anything that was her family's inheritance that husband had helped to administrate, along with any increase on that inheritance, as I understand it.

Torah is superior to our present laws, and will be restored supernaturally by Yahuah who said NOT TO ADD TO THIS BOOK OF THE LAW! OR SUBTRACT.

Please know and remember that I am not advocating that a man abuse his daughter or sell her - in our present society. On the contrary, I'm saying that Fathers should contract with a suitable man who will treat his daughter like a princess and their children as royal heirs - with the BEST of everything that he is able to offer them. That means, his best efforts to provide financially and his best efforts to provide a proper spiritual covering over her.

And, the reason that I posted those links to those radio programs of George Gordon is that he speaks to the subject of why Americans are not prospering. An immigrant can come to this country and prosper and obtain lands and homes using our system whereas Americans just incur debt and other oppression and curse. Immigrants are willing to sacrifice and live with others and wait until they have money in hand and buy something outright rather than incur debt. He said that he believes that anyone can be flat broke and rebuild themselves to be well-off in as little as three years. An immigrant coming here might be at ground zero and able to accomplish this, whereas, a typical American is not at ground zero because they are often very far in the hole in DEBT with a mortgage, car loans, etc. In this view, bankruptcy is an increase in net worth and a new start just to get at ground zero.

Those links to those programs were very good - to show a very obtainable plan to prosper. Even the coming depression and collapse is just a transfer of wealth to those who are blessed and wise to be on the receiving end of it. The wealth of the wicked is laid up for the just...(the man who will pity the poor, also, of course.)

So, it's not unreasonable for men to exercise some diligence to obtain all that they desire, including a worthy bride or brides. I'm just saying that men should wait and just put things in proper order according to Torah and all things are possible. And it will be a blessing to his wife and children and grandchildren when he does this. I cannot understand why this is so appalling to you!

principessa-yisraeliana

Postby principessa-yisraeliana » 03 Mar 2008, 14:58

BTW, I never had any of my "property" demand rights, and dictate its position of honor or dishonor in my house. Property is usually bought and sold at the behest of the buyer and seller, and given whatever place the owner chooses. Property has no rights.

Now Eric, you know that this is not true -- please put your thinking cap on and go back into the Torah and entirety of scripture and think about what laws have been put into place to protect various sorts of 'property'... 'kickme' just summarized a passage that precisely had to do with this.

And, it was the father of the daughter that originally was to contract. Our customs are not the same now - of course - and men contract directly with the woman. It looks like in scripture some unions were like this...like Abagail, etc.

But I'm just saying that we need to expand our understand of 'property' in order to make it fit the truth of the Torah, the law and scripture in general. Paul spoke of us as bondservants of Messiah Yahshua....we are all property of Yahuah and purchased with a great price!!! Yahshua paid a tremendous bride price for us! We have been purchased!

That makes us VERY VALUABLE, INDEED!

Have a great day,

Cherie

1Corinthians 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify Yahweh, in your body, and in your spirit, which are His.

TrueGirlPower

Postby TrueGirlPower » 04 Mar 2008, 04:24

Why is divorce at an all-time high? Presumably, because Deut. 28 kicked in and the women are given to another man that he may lay with her, and his children are also given to another. The penalty is against the man -- and this is what our country has reaped in the last decades. In Maricopa County, Arizona, the divorce rate is over 80%. The penalty is against the man but the women and children suffer immensely.

Ya know, I have never thought of that. I think your right.

Shalom
Adrianne ~

TrueGirlPower

Postby TrueGirlPower » 04 Mar 2008, 04:59

eriqbenel wrote:
However, marriage IS 100% about property and, in the patriarchal system that is the heritage of the scriptures, women and children ARE indeed property...

Ok ladies, is this what your marriage is all about? Is that what you believe YHWH intended marriage to be about?

I see nothing wrong with that; in fact, i see scripture to support that. A wife (wives) and children are indeed the husband's property. Right now, I belong to my dad; If I marry, I belong to my husband. What's wrong with that?
Actually, I think it's sweet. I can't wait to "belong" to my husband. :)

That is completely horrible in essence.[/quote]

How can is be horrible is Scripture says this is so? Isn't denying this "picking and choosing" what Scriptures you (or anyone) will obey?

Please ladies and gentlemen who have daughters, take a look into your daughters eyes right now, and tell me if you agree with this?[/quote]

Sucks, YES, but the truth of the matter is; it happens. Like take a girl who was not married and had sex; her virtue is gone. Being that she is no longer a virgin, it would be HARD to marry her off. In many cases, the father could not afford her anymore, hence she was sold into slavery.

BTW...what about the bride price, guys? Are you ready to cough that up? Are you willing to work for 7 years, and then 7 more as a bond-servant to your future father-in-law to obtain that lassie? I thinketh noteth. 40 hrs. week x $20/hr labor x 52 weeks x 7 years = $291K ...

Is 291K ALL you ladies are worth? I "thinketh noteth"... what a silly notion..[/quote]

The husband was to pay the bride's father the bride price; that is in scripture. You deny this?

I have read commentary about Abraham, that if it had not been for Sarah, he would probably have been very content with his firstborn male offspring, Ishmael. It was Sarah who kicked up a fuss of righteous indignation and forced the issue, and Yahuah told Abraham to heed all that Sarah said to do. Women are saved through childbirth, and we're all about protecting our progeny!!....

It was Sarah who told Avraham to take Hagar in the first place! There is nothing you can say to such ignorance...

If you give someone enough rope...

I don't think I need to say anymore... If the women (and men) reading this aren't convinced by now that Cheri is a heretic, Jezebel, and delusional, then there is nothing more I can say.

I hope her "owner" is a happy man.

BTW, I never had any of my "property" demand rights, and dictate its position of honor or dishonor in my house. Property is usually bought and sold at the behest of the buyer and seller, and given whatever place the owner chooses. Property has no rights.[/quote]

Eriq, come on. I'm sorry but name calling? That's like being an immature child throwing a temper tantrum when he isn't getting his way. We’re all adults here; please can we act like mature people here?

The point is, yes the wife and child become the sole property of the husband, UNLESS the husband cannot comply with the marriage contract/covenant he and she (or he and her father) made. The husband HAS TO provide for HIS family; failure to do so is a breach of the marriage contract/covenant. Just like the wife having sex outside of her marriage is a violation of the marriage contract/covenant; only in case of sex outside of marriage (on HER part) results in HER death.

That is all scriptural fact. Why argue about it?

Truth is, not everyone can marry for “loveâ€

TrueGirlPower

Postby TrueGirlPower » 04 Mar 2008, 05:07

kickme wrote:OK, here goes, in Ex. 21, immediately following the passage about the bondservant who became a lifelong servant out of love for his master:

Exo 21:7 “And when a man sells his daughter to be a female servant, she does not go out as the male servants do.
Exo 21:8 “If she is displeasing in the eyes of her master who has engaged her to himself, then he shall let her be ransomed. He shall have no authority to sell her to a foreign people, because of him deceiving her.
Exo 21:9 “And if he has engaged her to his son, he is to do to her as is the right of daughters.
Exo 21:10 “If he takes another wife, her food, her covering, and her marriage rights are not to be diminished.
Exo 21:11 “And if he does not do these three for her, then she shall go out for naught, without silver.

See, in those days, a man could sell (basically pre-entroth for the bride price) his daughter out to a man in order to get himself and his family out of a bind. From what I understand, it wasn't for slavery in the sense we think of it today, but it was a contractual thing, that the master paid the bride price, or a portion of it and raised this young girl as his own, usually for a wife as his son, but occasionally for a wife for himself. Thus, "she does not go out as the male servants do. " She is betrothed, she is not on the available list.
Now, if this girl isn't pleasing to her master for some reason, then she can be ransomed, bought back by the family or a close relative, but she cannot be sold to a foreigner because she had been tricked into thinking she was to be married to her master's son or to the master himself. So, Yahweh was concerned about the state of this woman, that she shouldn't be bought and sold as chattel, espeically by trickery. So the man was required to be a man of honour.
Now is where it gets fun, because of the wording. Lots of if/then statements, which keeps one on their toes. So, IF the girl's brideprice was paid for the son's sake by the master, now certain things have to be done. If you notice, the master is required here to treat this girl as his own daughter. OK, now for the an IF IF statement: IF the son takes another, ie, he didn't like his dad's choice for him, evidently he could say "No thanks, Dad", then Dad, the master had some THEN statements to deal with. He could not abuse this girl for his son's rejection of her. He still had to clothe, feed and allow her to get married. In other words, he still had to be humane to this girl even though his son rejected what he thought was best, spurning his dad's investment in both this girl's and the master's son.
Now another IF statement: If the master didn't provide for the girl and see that she had opportunity to marry and bear children, THEN she was free to go without anyone at all giving this master the bride price. This arrangement protected the woman, and interestingly enough, could also provide for a poor man who couldn't afford the normal bride price. So, this THEN statement protected the woman from abuse, and if a man was ballsy enough to push it, she could go to the elders, make her case, and then the man was punished by losing his investment, both the initial and the costs of raising her, the woman was released from this situation, and a poor man who couldn't afford the brideprice could now marry this young lady and treasure her as a man ought to.

Hopefully I've managed to communicate what this passage speaks to me without butchering anything, but I just don't see this passage as speaking directly to polygyny. I don't see it as a 'standard' to meet before taking additional wives, although that principle is useful anyway. As far as I'm concerned, no man should take a wife unless reasonable assurance can be made that he is able to take care of her. That to me was the whole point of the brideprice in the first place. If one could raise the brideprice, then most likely said person was responsible enough to provide for his new wife and any additional members they would be blessed with.

Alrighty, now, you two, resume your bickering....

You hit the nail on the head kickme. :)

Return to “Discussion Forum”