"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

Tassels and The Priesthoods

Moderator: Watchman555

LittleKangaDrinkingWine

Tassels and The Priesthoods

Postby LittleKangaDrinkingWine » 14 Feb 2008, 23:45

Dear Brethren of YHWH,

Please study this and consider. This is very important.

I would like to make mention of something that most simply do not understand, or have considered.

Without sounding like your local Baptist, I would like to make the case that tassels are not required for the believer today (who carries YHWH's Spirit between their eyes).

The truth is that the command to wear tassels falls under the Levitical Priesthood and was given to a physically minded people to remind them to keep YHWH's law. The command was given after the man broke the Sabbath Day, which was the test commandment as to whether Israel would obey YHWH in full.

Messiah's death, burial and resurrection and finally the giving of the Spirit of YHWH removed the Levitical priesthood, instituting the Messianic priesthood which falls under the order of Melchizedek, which was the style of priesthood given to the men and women of the line of Seth before the Levitical Priesthood. Yahshua, Messiah is now our High Priest and ministers to us, via the Spirit of YHWH, to remember and keep His commandments without physical reminders like tassels.

If a law was given for a reason and the circumstances surrounding that reason are removed then the law is now void.

Today, if we say that we are under the New Covenant that Messiah gave to His called out ones, then the law we are to look to is the "book of the covenant", which is given in its short form in Exodus 20-23 and in its long form in the entire book of Deuteronomy. If a law is not listed in those two places then you can rest assured that it was a law added because of sin, much like a band aid on a nasty cut or a cast on a broken bone. The mend was Messiah, Yahshua.

What was it Paul said about the law being added in Gal. 3:19. the law (referring to the Levitical Priesthood) was added because of sin. When the man broke the Sabbath in Numbers 15:32-36, YHWH commanded that the man be put to death. In order to keep from putting everyone to death for breaking His commands the Levitical priesthood was instituted. The command was given in the very next verse to help Israel remember the commands of YHWH.

Today, YHWH's Spirit is our reminder to keep His commands and those commands are the ones given for all man, not just Israel. The commandments, statutes, judgments and ordnances of YHWH, not those added because of sin.

Paul goes on to make the case in Galatians that this same law, that was added, is now taken away, simply because it is not needed any longer. this does not do away with all the law, but it does do away with that which was added because of sin (like the man picking up sticks on the Sabbath in Numbers 15).

Messiah wore tassels, because Messiah (when he was in the flesh) lived under the Levitical priesthood. That priesthood still existed until His death.

I do not think it is wrong to wear tassels. I simply do not wear them because I believe they are a physical outward symbol to a physically minded people, of which we are not to be. we are to be spiritually minded, as it is written, "I will write my laws in the minds and on their hearts, Behold the day is coming when I will make a new covenant with the house of Judah and the house of Israel, not according to the covenant (the Levitical Priesthood) I made with their fathers when I brought them up from the land of Egypt, because they did not continue in My covenant (the Book of the Covenant, which existed under the Melchizedek priesthood). (Hebrews 8 and Jer. 31)

The called out ones are the firstfruits to be. The first ripe fruits of the House of Israel and the House of Judah. The covenant Yahshua made with His disciples on that last night He was free, which many now want to abolish, was the institution of that all important covenant spoken of here in Jeremiah and again in Hebrews.

I hope to drive this point home, in a message I will be giving at the up coming Feast, on this very important subject, so we can come to understand more fully what YHWH is doing and how Passover and the days of unleavened bread tie directly to that plan, under the various priesthoods YHWH has used to bring His people to the very place that He can deal with them effectively to bring them to salvation.

LKDW

ErichMatthewJanzen

The Fringe Law is Applicable Today

Postby ErichMatthewJanzen » 15 Feb 2008, 00:01

In the book of Deuteronomy 22:1-12 we find various laws that were given to the Israelites, by Yahweh, through the man Moses. We find verse 4 teaches to show respect for property, love for one’s brother, and to maintain responsibility. Verse 5 teaches a distinction in apparel between the sexes. Verses 6-7 teaches to protect one’s food supply, and not allow a mother bird which had experienced liberty to be held captive. Verse 8 concerns itself with domestic protection, while verses 9-10 deal with the prevention of sterile hybrids as well as the prohibition of unequal yoking. In verse 11 we find that even a mixture of certain materials was considered wrong in Yahweh’s eyes. Then we come to verse 12, a verse teaching to make fringes on the four borders of one’s clothing/garment. The question arises, “Do we feel that these laws are still binding on those living under the New Covenant?â€

LittleKangaDrinkingWine

Postby LittleKangaDrinkingWine » 15 Feb 2008, 00:14

It must be noted that the fringe in Deut. 22 is simply speaking to the end of the garment and referrs to making fringes like what the North American Indians have on their etire. The fringe is a sign of greatness. The root word of fringe speaks to this effect, look it up. YHWH wills to make Israel great, thus the command to make fringes on the four corners of their garments. The command in Numbers 15 tells Israel to add to this fringe a blue cord, to help them remember the commands of YHWH.

Matthew, I knew you would be the first to respond to this, my brother. I'm sorry that we see this differently, but I think the subject of the Priesthoods needs to be addressed. the tassels are simply a sideline to this subject IMO.

I've made the case in times past that YHWH has written His commands on our DNA. They are a part of us. If this is true, do you really think He wrote the command to wear strings on our belt loops. Please!!! It's a physical reminder to physically minded people to remember His commands. YHWH gave us His Spirit for this very purpose.

LKDW

BrotherArnold

Postby BrotherArnold » 15 Feb 2008, 03:56

LittleKangaDrinkingWine wrote:It must be noted that the fringe in Deut. 22 is simply speaking to the end of the garment and referrs to making fringes like what the North American Indians have on their etire. The fringe is a sign of greatness. The root word of fringe speaks to this effect, look it up. YHWH wills to make Israel great, thus the command to make fringes on the four corners of their garments. The command in Numbers 15 tells Israel to add to this fringe a blue cord, to help them remember the commands of YHWH.

Matthew, I knew you would be the first to respond to this, my brother. I'm sorry that we see this differently, but I think the subject of the Priesthoods needs to be addressed. the tassels are simply a sideline to this subject IMO.

I've made the case in times past that YHWH has written His commands on our DNA. They are a part of us. If this is true, do you really think He wrote the command to wear strings on our belt loops. Please!!! It's a physical reminder to physically minded people to remember His commands. YHWH gave us His Spirit for this very purpose.

LKDW

Shalom Brother Joey, I guess you knew I would be second to respond to this. I guess you know i agree with Brother Matthew and the Scripture on this one. I cannot see why you would want to teach against something the Scripture says do. Psalms 111 says ALL His commandments are sure and they stand fast for ever and ever and are done in truth and uprighteousness.

The priest were not the only ones who were to wear tassels but the children of Israel, as Brother Matthew pointed out. People do things like this to try to get out of not eaten pork and other things. They :cry: :cry: try to twist the Scripture to come up with an excuse not to do what the Scripture says or do something the Scripture says not do. I believe I would find something else to teach on, or at least leave the tassels out of it. If nothing else out of the abundance of caution. By the way the sad faces came out by their selves, so I left them there.
It's a physical reminder to physically minded people to remember His commands. YHWH gave us His Spirit for this very purpose. Remember all of us are physically minded people to some extent. The laws that are written in my heart tells me to wear the fringes the Scripture teaches us to enlarge the borders of our heart and that way more laws can be written in it. Psalms 119:32 "I will run the way of thy commandments, when thou shall enlarge my heart." I suggest we all pray for a bigger heart.

Brother Arnold
Lunar Sabbaths is one of the most provable doctrines in Scripture...

Brother Arnold
See www.lunarsabbath.info

LittleKangaDrinkingWine

Postby LittleKangaDrinkingWine » 15 Feb 2008, 11:56

Arnold and Matthew,

Question for you.

Were Tassels (and I'm speaking of the blue corn in the tassels) worn by men like Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Issac and Jacob wear tassels? Was the command a standing command before the priesthood of Levi?

Arnold, there is one law for amn to live by. YHWH gave that law to Israel at mount Sinai, it's called the "book of the covenant" and it's found in Ex. 20-23 in it's short form. YHWH instructs Israel to wear tassels on the extremeties of their garments. This is not zetsies or how ever you spell it. look up the words. They are two totally different words. The two words do noit even have a root tie to them. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! The zetsies are the tassels with a blue cord. The tassels in Deut. are just tassels with no special blue cord.

I think you guys are missing this.

LKDW

ErichMatthewJanzen

Comments on Different Words in Numbers and Deuteronomy

Postby ErichMatthewJanzen » 15 Feb 2008, 15:09

Hi, Brother Joey

The fringe law in Deuteronomy 22:12 is simply a reiteration of the law found in Numbers 15:37-38.

Just after a man was put to death for breaking the Sabbath day, Yahweh instituted the law of fringes and told the Israelites to place a blue cord in the fringes. This was before Deuteronomy 22 was spoken by Moses on the 11th new moon in the 40th year of the wanderings of Israel (Deut. 1:3).

Deuteronomy 22:12 is simply just another instance of the command, and in it we learn that the fringes were worn on the four corners of the garments of the Israelites. It is true that the command in Deuteronomy 22 doesn't mention the blue thread, but it is also true that the command in Numbers 15 doesn't mention the four corners. Both texts compliment each other and harmonize with one another. We learn - by examining all of what Scripture says - that the command includes:

1) Making fringes
2) Putting in the frings a cord of blue
3) Placing them upon the four corners of our garments

The fact that two different Hebrew words are used (gedil in Deut / tzitzit in Num) doesn't prove that this is two different commandments entirely. Look at the feast laws in Lev. 23 and then compare them with Deut. 16. One will see that both chapters are not identical in words but harmonize beautifully with each other.

Furthermore, the LXX text of both passages does use the exact same word - kraspedon, which as I pointed out in the earlier post is used in the NT in reference to the fringes of the Messiah.

Matthew Janzen

BrotherArnold

Postby BrotherArnold » 15 Feb 2008, 15:59

delete
Last edited by BrotherArnold on 15 Feb 2008, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Brother Arnold

BrotherArnold

Postby BrotherArnold » 15 Feb 2008, 16:24

LittleKangaDrinkingWine wrote:Arnold and Matthew,

Question for you.

Were Tassels (and I'm speaking of the blue corn in the tassels) worn by men like Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Issac and Jacob wear tassels? Was the command a standing command before the priesthood of Levi?

Arnold, there is one law for amn to live by. YHWH gave that law to Israel at mount Sinai, it's called the "book of the covenant" and it's found in Ex. 20-23 in it's short form. YHWH instructs Israel to wear tassels on the extremeties of their garments. This is not zetsies or how ever you spell it. look up the words. They are two totally different words. The two words do noit even have a root tie to them. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! The zetsies are the tassels with a blue cord. The tassels in Deut. are just tassels with no special blue cord.

LKDW

Shalom Brother Joey, I could ask the same question about many things such as shaving the beard, was the command of not shaving the beard a standing command before the priesthood of Levi? Do you really think men like Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Issac and Jacob shaved their beards?

What about Abraham and circumcision before it was written down by Moses? What about the sacrifice made by Abel, of the firstling of the flock, which was also later written down by Moses, and many such likes? Just because it is not spelled out what Enoch and them wore does not mean they did not have tassels on their garments. We know that Abraham was given the covenant of circumcision but that does not mean that the covenant did not exist before Abraham and was not given to Enoch and them before him. Your argument seems to be that because it does not mention that they wore the tassels they did not exist but if the Scripture went into detail what each person was wearing such as Melchedeck etc. your house would not be able to hold all the volumes of books.

Brother Arnold

Brother Arnold

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 15 Feb 2008, 18:13

LittleKangaDrinkingWine wrote:Arnold and Matthew,

Question for you.

LKDW

Joey,

I don't understand why the command to "add" blue to the tassel eliminates tassels as a command altogether. At the very least, you would have to concede that the command in Deut still holds, even if you believed it didn't include the blue.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that even the command in Deut is unnecessary to keep because we now have "the Spirit", right? In that case, I would be interested to know which commands (not including the commands specifically for priest) are now eliminated by the Spirit?

I think what you are missing is that being "spiritual" is about "obedience", not about living above this time space continuum, like you are a celestial being trapped in a robe of flesh. Everything YHWH commands (even burying excrement in the ground) is a "spiritual" command, because of "who" commands it. Obeying the one who commands it makes us "spiritual" people.

Also, look closely at Matthew's post. It should be evident that he has "looked it up". You said that Messiah wore fringes because he was still tied to the Leviticla priesthood, which the command in Numbers was all about, making it different from the command in Deut. Thus, the two different words.

Matthew has shown you that the LXX for both Num. AND Deut. AND the word used in Matt. in the Messianic Scriptures all use the SAME word. So where now is this "VERY IMPORTANT" difference you claim this makes?
Shalom in the name of YHWH,

Eriq

YHWHsavesdotcom

Postby YHWHsavesdotcom » 15 Feb 2008, 19:57

viewing YHWHs laws from an external paradigm always leads to disobedience and rebellion. Obedience comes only through spritual union through relationship with YHWH and the one who perfectly fleshed it out as our example. And he said:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

That's for the obedient paradigm. For the paradigm of understanding disobedience we are given further detail:

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

We are desired for relationship, those who understand and walk accordingly will be rewarded. Be careful pretending to teach others what you do not yet understand. Its a trap that will catch you in the end. :D

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 16 Feb 2008, 01:03

YHWHsavesdotcom wrote:viewing YHWHs laws from an external paradigm always leads to disobedience and rebellion. Obedience comes only through spritual union through relationship with YHWH and the one who perfectly fleshed it out as our example. And he said:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

That's for the obedient paradigm. For the paradigm of understanding disobedience we are given further detail:

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

We are desired for relationship, those who understand and walk accordingly will be rewarded. Be careful pretending to teach others what you do not yet understand. Its a trap that will catch you in the end. :D

HalleluYah Brother! If one can't see this, they are lost.
Shalom in the name of YHWH,

Eriq

ErichMatthewJanzen

Postby ErichMatthewJanzen » 16 Feb 2008, 11:24

Shalom, Fellows,

Bro. Joey sent me an email because he was not able to post this on the forum yesterday for whatever reason. He wrote the following:

For what ever reason I can not post of the forum, so while I had the chance I wanted to respond to what was written on the forum today under this subject.

Matthew you wrote:

Furthermore, the LXX text of both passages does use the exact same word - kraspedon, which as I pointed out in the earlier post is used in the NT in reference to the fringes of the Messiah.

JT> Matthew, you are very mistaken. The word you have quoted here goes with the Hebrew word used for extremity, not the word tassels. Below is the LXX and the KJV text of Numbers 15:38. Which word is kraspedon?

The LXX, "Speak to the children of Israel, and thou shalt tell them; and let them make for themselves fringes (G2899) upon the borders (G4419) of their garments throughout their generations: and ye shall put upon the fringes (G2899) of the borders (G4419) a lace of blue. 39 And it shall be on your fringes, and ye shall look on them, and ye shall remember all the commands of the Lord, and do them:"

The KJV, "Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes (H6734)in the borders (H3671) of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe (H6734)of the borders (H3671)a ribband of blue: And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them;"

The answer is kraspedon is G2899 and correlates to the word translated in both places fringes.

Now let's look at the text in Deut. 22:12. Below we'll do the same thing and let's see if what you say is correct. Which word is kraspedon?

The LXX, "Thou shalt make fringes (G4761) on the four borders (G2899) of thy garments, with which soever thou mayest be clothed."

The KJV, "Thou shalt make thee fringes (H1434) upon the four quarters of thy vesture (3682), wherewith thou coverest thyself."

So what word is used in Deut. for fringes? Is it kraspedon? NO!!! It's strebloo. Here is its meaning. It means to twist or to stretch, like a man is stretched out on a rack to be torchored. Now the problem is that we have no idea what this means or how it applies to clothing. I know one thing, though. It do not mean a bunch of twisted strings attached to a man britches loops, with a little blue string. The point being that the word is not the same as you say. The text is totally different and has a different meaning. So please amend your false statement.

I reply: Joey is correct, and I was mistaken. The word kraspedon is used in Deut. 22:12, but it is the word translated borders and not the word translated fringes. Thank you Joey, I receive your correction.

Please notice though that the word is used in both passages. In the Numbers passages the word kraspedon is the word translated fringes, therefore this Greek word is sufficient to translate the Hebrew word tzitzit into Greek. Also, the word used in Deut. for fringes - strebloo - should be taken to mean its primary definition "to twist". This is in correlation with either the Hebrew word tzitzit (fringe or tassel) or the Hebrew word gedil (twisted threads).

As I said before in looking at the differences in the Hebrew text, the different words does not prove that the two passages are different commandments, they are referring to the same thing. Again, for example, the reason people place the fringes with blue on the four corners of their garments is not because Numbers 15 says to do so, but because Deut. 22 says to do so. Also remember the different verbage given in the feast laws of Lev. 23 compared with those of Deut. 16.

Seeing that the LXX translates the word kraspedon as "fringes" in Numbers 15 we could legitimately translate the LXX passage of Deut. 22:12 as follows:

"Thou shalt make twists (strebloo) on the four fringes (kraspedon) of thy garments, with which soever thou mayest be clothed."

Matthew Janzen

BrotherArnold

Postby BrotherArnold » 16 Feb 2008, 13:42

“Without sounding like your local Baptist, I would like to make the case that tassels are not required for the believer today (who carries YHWH's Spirit between their eyes).â€

Brother Arnold

kickme

Postby kickme » 16 Feb 2008, 15:15

well, I tried to do a nice reply to this topic, and it got lost in the internet somewhere

kickme

Postby kickme » 16 Feb 2008, 15:19

OK, I'll try again.

Seems to me that tassles/fringes/tzitzit has to be one of the easiest commands to actually carry out, thus I don't understand why someone would resist doing this simple command.
Not unless.... hmm.... does the wearing of this tassle actually bother the person who resists wearing it? Like, maybe the actual wearing of the tzitzit reminds this resister of his shortcomings? Maybe the root of resistance is because the resister is too stiffnecked to even want to keep Yahweh commands.

Belief/Faith is a Hebrew action work, not a theory.
I'd rather see faith through actions, not a bunch words. Words are just air.

Return to “Discussion Forum”