"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

Are you a person?

Moderator: Watchman555

chosen

Postby chosen » 20 Feb 2008, 23:53

don't animals have "faces," too? does that make them a person?

just wondering,

chosen

kickme

Postby kickme » 21 Feb 2008, 00:15

I am a living being. My spirit is not my own, that is, I don't own it. I get to use it.
I have a body. It's dirt, but mighty useful dirt.

Most people call that combination a person. I'd call it a soul.
Whatever...
I suspect there's some technical catch here.
Let's see if I catch on

Luneee

Postby Luneee » 21 Feb 2008, 00:15

Chosen, what a though provoking question.

Thus far, I have seen no conclusive proof that we are "persons".

Jay Vincent.

kickme

Postby kickme » 21 Feb 2008, 00:22

maybe you could help us out by giving us the definition of 'person' or 'persons'
Culture has a way of messing around with word definitions.

[quote="Answers.com"]Dictionary: per·son (pûr'sən)

n.
A living human. Often used in combination: chairperson; spokesperson; salesperson.
An individual of specified character: a person of importance.
The composite of characteristics that make up an individual personality; the self.
The living body of a human: searched the prisoner's person.
Physique and general appearance.
Law. A human or organization with legal rights and duties.
Christianity. Any of the three separate individualities of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, as distinguished from the essence of the Godhead that unites them.
Grammar.
Any of three groups of pronoun forms with corresponding verb inflections that distinguish the speaker (first person), the individual addressed (second person), and the individual or thing spoken of (third person).
Any of the different forms or inflections expressing these distinctions.
A character or role, as in a play; a guise: “Well, in her person, I say I will not have youâ€

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 21 Feb 2008, 01:06

JMSchattke wrote:Jay Vincent is being a doofus.

You see, he thinks that if he claims he's not a person, certain laws won't apply to him.

As I posted earlier, all of the Hebrew and Greek translated directly "person" applies to you and I.

And Jay.

Have you ever heard of "diplomatic immunity"? One primary reason certain foreigners cannot be prosecuted in this country is because they are not citizens/persons of this country. Why don't the illegal immigrants who come over and commit crimes get prosecuted? Maybe they get deported, but most are never prosecuted, and they know it!

You can't even testify in court without a birth certificate name and SSN, it's against the law to do so. I don't know how old you are JM, but life is too short to remain ignorant.
Shalom in the name of YHWH,

Eriq

chuckbaldwin

Postby chuckbaldwin » 21 Feb 2008, 04:23

Luneee wrote:Thus far, I have seen no conclusive proof that we are "persons".
Well Jay, if the Scriptural descriptions given don't convince you, then there's no guessing what you're looking for.

If you don't want to be a person with the rest of us, that's your choice.

I'm satisfied now that your question was just a "trick question" with no purpose.
If not, then prove me wrong.
Chuck Baldwin
By this shall all men know you are my disciples: if you have love one for another.

JMSchattke

Postby JMSchattke » 21 Feb 2008, 04:43

eriqbenel wrote:
JMSchattke wrote:Jay Vincent is being a doofus.

You see, he thinks that if he claims he's not a person, certain laws won't apply to him.

As I posted earlier, all of the Hebrew and Greek translated directly "person" applies to you and I.

And Jay.

Have you ever heard of "diplomatic immunity"? One primary reason certain foreigners cannot be prosecuted in this country is because they are not citizens/persons of this country. Why don't the illegal immigrants who come over and commit crimes get prosecuted? Maybe they get deported, but most are never prosecuted, and they know it!
I don't know where YOU live, but I know in California, 30% of the felons in prison are illegal aliens, who will be deported: after they serve their time.

BUZZZ - wrong answer!

You can't even testify in court without a birth certificate name and SSN, it's against the law to do so. I don't know how old you are JM, but life is too short to remain ignorant.

Um, funny - I've never been asked anything but to state my name for the record, and to "swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth". No one checked my citizenship at any point. You don't need an I.D. to enter a courtroom, you don't need an I.D. to talk to the judge.

BUZZZ - strike two!

Now looking good for Reality vs. Eriq today.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

kickme

Postby kickme » 21 Feb 2008, 11:13

well, I think whatever point Lunee was going to make has been successfully stuffed :roll:
Good job everybody.
Next time let's try to be more human.
Or is it less human?
Whichever way is more friendly, more courteous, more messiah like, be like that! OK?

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 21 Feb 2008, 13:32

I don't know where YOU live, but I know in California, 30% of the felons in prison are illegal aliens, who will be deported: after they serve their time.

BUZZZ - wrong answer!

That's not what happens Columbo...

They may stay incarcerated until they get deported, but a lot of them don't actually "serve time". And it takes time to prove whether or not they are illegal...

Um, funny - I've never been asked anything but to state my name for the record,and to "swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth". No one checked my citizenship at any point. You don't need an I.D. to enter a courtroom, you don't need an I.D. to talk to the judge.

Exactly!! Why do you think you have to "state your name"???? That name represents your person-hood and confirms that you belong to the State.

If living with your head stuck up... is your reality, then you win! Congratulations! But there are some who might want to see the truth.

Eriq

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 21 Feb 2008, 13:36

kickme wrote:well, I think whatever point Lunee was going to make has been successfully stuffed :roll:
Good job everybody.

Nothing is stuffed. Jay has the opportunity to make any point he wishes.

Next time let's try to be more human.
Or is it less human?
Whichever way is more friendly, more courteous, more messiah like, be like that! OK?

Tell it to JM

Eriq

Watchman555

Postby Watchman555 » 24 Feb 2008, 17:29

Phil. 3:20:
20 For our citizenship is in the heavens, from which we also eagerly wait for the Saviour, the Master Yahusha Messiah.

In contrast to

Contitution 1:1:
We the people ...

~Greg and dawn

kickme

Postby kickme » 24 Feb 2008, 20:41

I didn't help write that constitution, nor am I swearing allegiance to it
Nevertheless, I do pay taxes in this 'occupied' country until the true king comes to take it back!!!
I look forward to the day when these 'officials' get the Almighty boot!!!

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 24 Feb 2008, 21:27

kickme wrote:I didn't help write that constitution, nor am I swearing allegiance to it
Nevertheless, I do pay taxes in this 'occupied' country until the true king comes to take it back!!!
I look forward to the day when these 'officials' get the Almighty boot!!!

You didn't help write the Scriptures either... but hopefully you submit yourself to them. It doesn't matter where somethign comes from, what matters is do you yield yourself a servant?

"...to whom you yield yourself a servant, his servant you are..."

Eriq

kickme

Postby kickme » 24 Feb 2008, 23:31

Indeed, and right now the taskmasters beat my back.
Maybe that's because I refuse to serve them like they want me to, simply because I serve the King

Return to “Discussion Forum”