"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

Geneology and Yahshua's Pre-existence

Moderator: Watchman555

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 08 Feb 2008, 19:26

Hi Eriq,

I don't mean to slight your efforts, but i don't do well with lengthy posts, plus the fact that most of the names were difficult for me to relate to their familiar anglicized forms, i wasn't sure which kings you were referring to much of the time.

It's a huge study, I know. Much more complicated than the simple Lunar Sabbath truth :mrgreen:

Anyway, the main point I was trying to make was that the curses concerning Y'hoyakim and his sons does not impact in any way, shape or form whether or not Yoseph is Messiah biological father.
Shalom in the name of YHWH,

Eriq

chuckbaldwin

Postby chuckbaldwin » 08 Feb 2008, 19:46

eriqbenel wrote:... I believe that the throne in Rev 3:21, is only one throne that exists in the Kingdom of YHWH, that is YHWH's throne. (that's a hint)
Hi Eriq,

Did you really mean to say "is only one throne" (which would imply that there are also others); OR did you mean to say "the only throne" (which would imply no others)?

Either way, i agree. The ONLY "Throne" having ultimate authority will be YHWH's Throne. And every "king" will have his own throne, but it will still be an extension of YHWH's Throne (government). There will be NO thrones outside the jursidiction of YHWH's.

My conclusion that all Thrones will be "one" was reached after pondering Joey's question about Ezek.37:24. And adding to it the comments in Rev.3:21, 1Chr.29:23, Lk.1:32, & Mt.19:28.

Is the "David" in Ezek.37:24 the same "David" in v25?

If not, then v24 = Yahshua & v25 = David, because v24 calls him "king" & v25 calls him "prince". In this case, David AND Yahshua would be ruling over Israel, but Yahshua would be ruling over the whole world (including Israel) as stated in other Scriptures.

I believe both verses refer to the same "David" (i.e. the son of Jesse); in that case, v24 (king) shows him from the perspective of Israel, and v25 (prince) shows him from the perspective of the whole world under Yahshua.
Chuck Baldwin
By this shall all men know you are my disciples: if you have love one for another.

kickme

Postby kickme » 09 Feb 2008, 02:36

I see it more simply
David would be ruling by extension of his flesh
yet it was prophesied that Yahushua would be 'cut off'. The understanding there being not mainly as in slain, but as in without seed.
His seed come the same way he said the eunuch's seed comes.
Yet Scripture says his reign is without end, and if I'm correct, without beginning. He reigned before David, and after.
Talk about paradox, yet so simple

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 13 Feb 2008, 22:07

kickme wrote:I see it more simply
David would be ruling by extension of his flesh
yet it was prophesied that Yahushua would be 'cut off'. The understanding there being not mainly as in slain, but as in without seed.
His seed come the same way he said the eunuch's seed comes.
Yet Scripture says his reign is without end, and if I'm correct, without beginning. He reigned before David, and after.
Talk about paradox, yet so simple

If I understand you correctly, I agree. Except this is not necessarily talking about "biological" lineage. The right for Messiah to be the KING and PRIEST of YHWH doesn't come by way of biology, but by divine ordinance. In other words, a man can become KING if born into royalty. Messiah was not. A man can be a priest, if he is born into the priestly Levitical line. Messiah was not.

Messiah's succession to power was purely of YHWH, not by inherited lineage. Just like Melchesedek (however you spell it).

Although tradition and pagan influence tries to "link" His birth to this issue, it is not linked. Except the fact that his descending from David's line would be a "sign" of who he was, how He entered the world has NOTHING to do with it. In fact, that is the whole point! [/i]

Eriq

ErichMatthewJanzen

Proving the Virgin Birth by the Bible

Postby ErichMatthewJanzen » 15 Feb 2008, 00:15

MATTHEW 1:18-25
18Now the birth of Yeshua Messiah was as follows: when His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit.
19And Joseph her husband, being a righteous man and not wanting to disgrace her, planned to send her away secretly. 20But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of Yahweh appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21“She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Yeshua, for He will save His people from their sins.â€

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 15 Feb 2008, 00:33

EMJ,

HEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

I was hoping to "entice" you into the discussion! Let me go put on my good thinking cap and I'll respond as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, I will begin with this statement:

Some Lunar Sabbaths opponents, such as Chuck and others, have used the books of Jubilees, Enoch and the Dead Sea Scrolls as a testament against a lunar/solar based calendar. They have quoted excerpts from these writings and some others that specifically, without question, indicate a solar based calendar system. This, they say, is proof positive that the people of antiquity were never using a lunar based calender system.

My response to them is similar to my response to you. After reviewing the history of these writings, I believe it is possible to determine the root influence of the calendar ideology of those books. This influence stems from the socio-religious and political authority prevalent at the time the writing was composed.

The books of Enoch, Jubilees as well as the Dead Sea Scrolls are writings composed well after the time period depicted in the writing itself. HOWEVER, the calendrical nature of the writing is contemporary to the writing, because of the system extant at the time.

Unfortunately, it is difficult for people to accept that it is even possible that anything could have this type of effect on any writings contained in the Biblical canon. Well, it IS. We have held the writings of the canon upon an unrealistic pedestal, especially the so-called New Testament.

I am referring of course, to the progression of translations over the centuries, not to the authority or inspiration. As much as some may try to manipulate this fact as a convenient cop out in order justify certain false doctrine, I assure you I am not one to do this. Nevertheless, we cannot ignore the facts of history.

There are certain "words" in Scripture that we know have been manipulated. Do we really believe that this manipulation is limited to single words only? What about sentences? Passages? Whole stories?

Through diligent study, we can find the source of single words problems, and in turn, insert a more suitable word to accurately depict the thought of the text. But most of us do not think it is necessary to investigate whole passages or stories in this same way.

I submit to you, that you have taken the "virgin birth story" at face value without ever seeing the need to investigate it's authenticity. It's root influence. Or it's socio-religious or political influence, if any.

I am not denying what the Scriptures you have quoted say, but I submit to you also, that this story has direct contradiction to more pertinent Scriptures concerning Messiah, to history and to the orthodox position of the true first century believers. It is either a story falsely inserted or grossly manipulated in translation. And I can prove it.

The question is, are you willing to be brave enough to take a look? Or will you be one to believe that those words you have quoted above are perfect and infallible?

Your Bro.

Eriq

ErichMatthewJanzen

Postby ErichMatthewJanzen » 15 Feb 2008, 14:56

Shalom, Bro. Eric,

I am willing to discuss this with you and will examine anything you say with all my heart. Let's discuss it here on this forum, and I would suggest that we do so with short points, one by one. I realize that sometimes it does take a few paragraphs to make a point and that's fine, but I just do not want to get lost in a 3,000 word post.

I'll let you begin, or if you'd rather the other way that is fine too. You show me why we cannot believe the accounts written in Matthew 1 and Luke 1.

Your good friend,
Matthew Janzen

PS. The both of us are busy men, so let's just dedicate to one post a day on this subject... is that okay Brother?

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 15 Feb 2008, 17:45

ErichMatthewJanzen wrote:Shalom, Bro. Eric,

I am willing to discuss this with you and will examine anything you say with all my heart. Let's discuss it here on this forum, and I would suggest that we do so with short points, one by one. I realize that sometimes it does take a few paragraphs to make a point and that's fine, but I just do not want to get lost in a 3,000 word post.

I'll let you begin, or if you'd rather the other way that is fine too. You show me why we cannot believe the accounts written in Matthew 1 and Luke 1.

Your good friend,
Matthew Janzen

PS. The both of us are busy men, so let's just dedicate to one post a day on this subject... is that okay Brother?

EMJ,

Sure that's fine. The only problem I have is that this is a very involved study. It will be difficult to fully explain some things in a few paragraphs, so I will do my best. One post a day for the next 3000 days! Sounds good! :mrgreen:

I hope you will be able to grasp it in only 1575 posts... :D

Love ya man

P.S. I'll use my 1 post for tomorrow to begin. I have to take some time to condense the thoughts into a short few paragraphs.

Eriq

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 26 Feb 2008, 01:14

Brother Matthew,

Here we go. Sorry it has taken so long. Busy you know. Plus Bro. Arnold and I have been engaged in multiple battles.

-----------------

We might want to begin with the prophecy. The virgin birth is rooted in a fulfillment of the so-called Messianic prophecy of Yeshayahu 7:14, which is not a prophecy at all. I won't waste a lot of time with the details (unless necessary), as I am sure you have heard this argument before.

You and I have discussed the fact that many of the Scriptures that have been linked to Messianic prophecy, are not referring to Messiah at all! So is the case with Yeshayahu 7:14. If you review the context, this should become clear.

This leaves us with no "virgin birth" sign of Messiah from the Tanach. This is a major blow to the virgin birth story. The "virgin birth" was supposed to be a sign that the Messiah had come.

However, no one in the history of Yisrael, including the time of Messiah, believed in a "virgin birth" prophecy of His coming because it is not a part of the Scriptures.

This also calls into question the whole, "son of God", perspective. If no-one in Hebrew antiquity was expecting a "virgin born" Messiah, that means that no one was looking for "the son of God". At least not in that sense. Son of God must mean something else.

Eriq

ErichMatthewJanzen

Isaiah 7:14 & Matthew 1:22-23

Postby ErichMatthewJanzen » 26 Feb 2008, 07:41

Hi, Bro. Eric,

I agree that Isaiah 7:14 is an important verse in the discussion, and I do believe that it is a prophecy of Yeshua per Matthew 1:22-23. Matthew quotes this verse directly as a fulfillment of Isaiah 7:14 in the immediate context of talking about Yeshua’s birth.

No doubt, this prophecy definitely refers to the sign given to the man Ahaz back during the time of the Old Covenant, but if we believe Matthew 1:22-23, Isaiah 7:14 must have a dual fulfillment.

For example, notice the prophecies of Psalm 69:25 and 109:7-8. The immediate context has the Psalmist dealing with his personal enemies [Ps. 69:22-25; 109:1-8]. However, Yahweh’s inspired word places another fulfillment on these prophecies in Acts 1:16-20. Seeing that I believe the book of Acts, just like I believe Psalms, these prophecies must have a dual fulfillment.

Therefore, I believe Isaiah 7:14, but I also believe Matthew 1:22-23. This means I must not only accept the immediate fulfillment during the life of Ahaz, but also the second fulfillment concerning Yeshua being born of a sexually pure virgin [Matthew 1:20-25].

Yom Tov,
Matthew Janzen

eriqbenel

Re: Isaiah 7:14 & Matthew 1:22-23

Postby eriqbenel » 26 Feb 2008, 16:14

ErichMatthewJanzen wrote:Hi, Bro. Eric,

I agree that Isaiah 7:14 is an important verse in the discussion, and I do believe that it is a prophecy of Yeshua per Matthew 1:22-23. Matthew quotes this verse directly as a fulfillment of Isaiah 7:14 in the immediate context of talking about Yeshua’s birth.

No doubt, this prophecy definitely refers to the sign given to the man Ahaz back during the time of the Old Covenant, but if we believe Matthew 1:22-23, Isaiah 7:14 must have a dual fulfillment.

For example, notice the prophecies of Psalm 69:25 and 109:7-8. The immediate context has the Psalmist dealing with his personal enemies [Ps. 69:22-25; 109:1-8]. However, Yahweh’s inspired word places another fulfillment on these prophecies in Acts 1:16-20. Seeing that I believe the book of Acts, just like I believe Psalms, these prophecies must have a dual fulfillment.

Therefore, I believe Isaiah 7:14, but I also believe Matthew 1:22-23. This means I must not only accept the immediate fulfillment during the life of Ahaz, but also the second fulfillment concerning Yeshua being born of a sexually pure virgin [Matthew 1:20-25].

Yom Tov,
Matthew Janzen

I see I'm going to have to dissect the context of Yeshayahu to clarify my point.

I realize you believe this brother. The question is, why? The only reason you have the "dual fulfillment" idea in your mind is BECAUSE of what is written in Matthew. I believe this is an added story to give pagan credibility to Messiah's gospel in the culture in which it was written.

Of course, the author of the Gospel of Matthew had a vested interest in the nascent church and wanted to ground the new Christian mythos in Yudean prophecy whenever possible. Almost all scholars agree this "Matthew" was not the apostle but rather a Greek-speaking Christian living in or near Antioch of Syria, who wrote about A.D. 90, about two generations after the crucifixion. Very likely, he was familiar with only the Septuagint version of Yeshayahu. (That Matthew wrote the first gospel was a tradition started by Bishop Papias of Hieropolos in the second century.)

If Matthew hadn't written this, there would be no reason whatsoever to link it.

The case with Acts and Psalms is totally different. We have NUMEROUS Scriptures that link Messianic prophecy to King David. By lineage, by King-ship, by son-ship, by circumstances, etc,. And some of these connections are made by the mouth of YHWH Himself! We also have the historical understanding of the priesthood that connects David and Messiah.

Also, what was written in the Psalms was a "current event" not a prophecy. In other words, David (presumably the author) was writing of things "current" in His life, not foretelling events. His life circumstances WERE the prophetic message. So there is no "dual fulfillment" from Psalms to Acts. Only one.

YHWH has done this with the lives and circumstance of many prophets. Moshe, Hosea, Yonah, Daniel, and Iyov, for example. The very lives of these men were prophetic messages, confirmed by the mouth of YHWH. So it is with David. There was nothing said or done by YHWH or Yeshyahu that connects to the story in Mattiyahu.

Let's examine this idea of "dual fulfillment".

Matthew obviously knows that the actual name of the son of God is Yeshua, because he said so, so he apparently doesn't believe the son of God's actual name is also Emmanuel, as well as Yeshua.

21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Yeshua, because he will save his people from their sins."
22 All this took place to fulfill what YHWH had said through the prophet: 23 "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" --which means, "God with us."

Matthew said that the birth of Yeshua fulfilled this prophecy. How could the prophecy have been fulfilled unless key aspects of the prophecy happened as predicted?

Yeshayahu - No virgin (the sex-less kind. It means "young woman")
Matthew - Sexless virgin

Yeshayahu - Name is Immanuel
Matthew - Name is Yeshua

Maybe Mattiyahu had good intentions and only meant to parallel the "god with us" part and not the "virgin" aspect (at least not the sexless aspect) that has been distorted over time. I don't know, but distorted they are.

Was there anyone in Yeshayahu 7 that was born without a biological father? No. The context in Yeshayahu is about an impending war, and YHWH's promise of victory through the sign of the birth of a son; a sign that "God was with them". Not literally, but in battle. It has nothing to do with a woman being a "virgin" in the sense of "without sexual contact" with a man. The son was born with a mother AND father. Yeshayahu has nothing to do with the son in particular. After the birth, the life of the son is inconsequential. The child he spoke of was already conceived (the word "harah" is past tense, not future tense, and means "conceived") and the child, which would soon be born, would be a sign--a good omen--to a king about to engage in battle.

Note also the striking parallel between verses 7:16 and 8:4 . Here is Yeshayahu prophesying almost identically about both children. The more closely you look, the more difficult to deny that these two are identical. You can hardly blame evangelicals for seeing a special significance in the name Immanu'el, Hebrew for "God with us," but such language and imagery was right at home in the world of old Yudean nomenclature, where every other proper name seemed a reminder of God's presence. Thus we have Yeshayahu, which means "God's help"; Michael , "Like unto God"; Yisrael," "Striving with God"; Elihu, "He is my God"; AdoniYah , "Yahweh Lord"; and a host of others.

What we do not have, in reference to Messiah and a "virgin birth", is any true prophetic connection. We don't have any historical connection of a virgin birth in the understanding of religious Yudean antiquity. We don't have any connection of a virgin birth to Messiah in any of the writings closest to His lifetime. Most of these stories cropped up much later. As important as this connection is supposed to be, shouldn't it have been a part of historical record much sooner?

In any case, I would be more apt to believe that the birth of Hezekiyah, the righteous son of Ahaz in Yeshayahu, chapter 9 was more a prophetic link to Messiah than the child in chapter 7.

In conclusion, even if chapter 7 is a link to Messiah, the "virgin" aspect of it can still be disproved and attributed to the pagan ideas contemporary to the writing.

Sorry if my post is too long.. It's hard man!

Eriq

ErichMatthewJanzen

Matthew 1 & 2 - Dual Fulfillment

Postby ErichMatthewJanzen » 27 Feb 2008, 12:02

Shalom, Bro.

You wrote:

I realize you believe this brother. The question is, why? The only reason you have the "dual fulfillment" idea in your mind is BECAUSE of what is written in Matthew. I believe this is an added story to give pagan credibility to Messiah's gospel in the culture in which it was written.

Of course, the author of the Gospel of Matthew had a vested interest in the nascent church and wanted to ground the new Christian mythos in Yudean prophecy whenever possible. Almost all scholars agree this "Matthew" was not the apostle but rather a Greek-speaking Christian living in or near Antioch of Syria, who wrote about A.D. 90, about two generations after the crucifixion. Very likely, he was familiar with only the Septuagint version of Yeshayahu. (That Matthew wrote the first gospel was a tradition started by Bishop Papias of Hieropolos in the second century.)

If Matthew hadn't written this, there would be no reason whatsoever to link it.

I reply: The reason I believe this is because of Matthew 1:22-23. I have no reason to doubt the gospel of Matthew, specifically the first two chapters of the gospel which clearly teach the virgin birth doctrine. You say that it was an added story… yet can you produce even one manuscript of Matthew that does not contain the first two chapters?

Anyone can say that anything is “added, tampered with, deceptive, etc.â€

ErichMatthewJanzen

Immanuel & Yeshua

Postby ErichMatthewJanzen » 28 Feb 2008, 11:32

Hi, Bro. Eric,

I told you that I would devote one post a day to your posts, and since there is more to address in your latest post I thought I would go ahead and briefly address these comments of yours.

You wrote:

Matthew obviously knows that the actual name of the son of God is Yeshua, because he said so, so he apparently doesn't believe the son of God's actual name is also Emmanuel, as well as Yeshua.

21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Yeshua, because he will save his people from their sins."
22 All this took place to fulfill what YHWH had said through the prophet: 23 "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" --which means, "God with us."

Matthew said that the birth of Yeshua fulfilled this prophecy. How could the prophecy have been fulfilled unless key aspects of the prophecy happened as predicted?

Yeshayahu - No virgin (the -less kind. It means "young woman")
Matthew - less virgin

Yeshayahu - Name is Immanuel
Matthew - Name is Yeshua

Maybe Mattiyahu had good intentions and only meant to parallel the "god with us" part and not the "virgin" aspect (at least not the less aspect) that has been distorted over time. I don't know, but distorted they are.

I reply (about Immanuel): Your contention is that since Matthew 1:22-23 states the virgin's child would be named Immanuel, and Miriam's son was instead named Yeshua, then Matthew 1:22-23 must be spurious.

However, consider the immediate fulfillment of the prophecy in Isaiah 7-8. There was a child born at that time during the first fulfillment in the days of Ahaz; this child was the fulfillment of the prophecy in Isaiah 7:14. Was this child's name Immanuel? No, it was rather Mahershalalhashbaz [Isaiah 8:1-4 - say that 3 times real fast :)]. The reason for this is that in Isaiah 8:8-10 we find that Immanuel was to be understood in a prophetic sense as a secondary name, rather than the primary name for the child. This holds true in both fulfillments. Immanuel is the secondary, prophetic name for both Mahershalalhashbaz and Yeshua. With the birth of both children the people of Israel would have "Elohim with them" in a very mighty way.

Your good buddy,
Matthew

chuckbaldwin

Postby chuckbaldwin » 28 Feb 2008, 17:01

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for that simple explanation of the "name" Immanuel. It makes perfect sense to me. Good point about Maher... (whatever) not literally being named Immanuel.

BTW, i DID say it 3 times real fast, although it wasn't easy. :lol:

One thing that opponents of "duality" don't understand, is that not all details of the prophecy necessarily apply to both situations.
Chuck Baldwin

By this shall all men know you are my disciples: if you have love one for another.

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 28 Feb 2008, 17:50

One thing that opponents of "duality" don't understand, is that not all details of the prophecy necessarily apply to both situations.

This is from the same guy who insist that Messiah was in the grave 3days and 3nights because of Jonah

------------------------------

Matthew,

If you don't mind. I'd like to have this discussion with you, but I would like to request that we switch the forum to email.

It would be easier for me to concentrate on the comments without the distractions of a public discussion.

Thanks
Last edited by eriqbenel on 28 Feb 2008, 17:58, edited 2 times in total.

Eriq

Return to “Discussion Forum”