"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

Geneology and Yahshua's Pre-existence

Moderator: Watchman555

chuckbaldwin

Postby chuckbaldwin » 28 Feb 2008, 17:53

eriqbenel wrote:This is from the same guy who insist that Messiah was arrested on the 10th because of Exodus 12.
I'm not Joey, but i appreciate the compliment, when i was actually expecting an insult.

Since you are so confused about so many other things, i can understand your getting me and Joey mixed up. :mrgreen:
Chuck Baldwin
By this shall all men know you are my disciples: if you have love one for another.

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 28 Feb 2008, 18:00

chuckbaldwin wrote:
eriqbenel wrote:This is from the same guy who insist that Messiah was arrested on the 10th because of Exodus 12.
I'm not Joey, but i appreciate the compliment, when i was actually expecting an insult.

Since you are so confused about so many other things, i can understand your getting me and Joey mixed up. :mrgreen:

Whoever turned over Chuck's rock, can you put it back please? It was so peaceful before...
Shalom in the name of YHWH,

Eriq

principessa-yisraeliana

Postby principessa-yisraeliana » 28 Feb 2008, 21:30

eriqbenel wrote:

It would be easier for me to concentrate on the comments without the distractions of a public discussion.

Thanks

Will you guys please continue here? We are all going to stay out of it - to let you discuss productively. I, for one, would like to see the progression of this. Especially since you both are very civil with one another. Thanks!

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 29 Feb 2008, 00:08

principessa-yisraeliana wrote:
eriqbenel wrote:

It would be easier for me to concentrate on the comments without the distractions of a public discussion.

Thanks

Will you guys please continue here? We are all going to stay out of it - to let you discuss productively. I, for one, would like to see the progression of this. Especially since you both are very civil with one another. Thanks!

Yes, you are correct of course. I shouldn't let others get under my skin so easily. I certainly don't mind continuing here

Eriq

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 29 Feb 2008, 01:09

[quote]I reply: The point in bringing up Psalms and Acts is that when the Psalmist wrote Psalm 69 and 109 we read absolutely nothing about Judas in the immediate context. You cannot go to either of these Psalms by themselves and say, “That’s talking about Judas Iscariot.â€

Eriq

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 29 Feb 2008, 01:13

I reply (about Immanuel): Your contention is that since Matthew 1:22-23 states the virgin's child would be named Immanuel, and Miriam's son was instead named Yeshua, then Matthew 1:22-23 must be spurious.

However, consider the immediate fulfillment of the prophecy in Isaiah 7-8. There was a child born at that time during the first fulfillment in the days of Ahaz; this child was the fulfillment of the prophecy in Isaiah 7:14. Was this child's name Immanuel? No, it was rather Mahershalalhashbaz [Isaiah 8:1-4 - say that 3 times real fast Smile]. The reason for this is that in Isaiah 8:8-10 we find that Immanuel was to be understood in a prophetic sense as a secondary name, rather than the primary name for the child. This holds true in both fulfillments. Immanuel is the secondary, prophetic name for both Mahershalalhashbaz and Yeshua. With the birth of both children the people of Israel would have "Elohim with them" in a very mighty way.

Your good buddy,
Matthew

You "sneaked" two, so I get two... :mrgreen:

Ok, This is a possibility that I conceded to in my last post. But if that is the case, I would also contend that the intent was not to maximize the "miraculous conception" myth, rather it was meant to reiterate the notion of "God with us" in the person of Messiah. A notion you just proved (in your own point) can be emphasized WITHOUT a miraculous "virgin birth" such as happened with Mahershalalhashbaz.

It probably took til Messiah came to pronounce his name! Maybe that's the link!

Love ya man

Eriq

ErichMatthewJanzen

Dual Fulfillment Details

Postby ErichMatthewJanzen » 29 Feb 2008, 12:11

Shalom, Chuck,

You wrote:

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for that simple explanation of the "name" Immanuel. It makes perfect sense to me. Good point about Maher... (whatever) not literally being named Immanuel...

One thing that opponents of "duality" don't understand, is that not all details of the prophecy necessarily apply to both situations.

I reply: I agree with you about the details of all the prophecy. One example I've found of this is in looking at the prophecy of Psalm 41:7-9 and comparing it with John 13:16-18. The Psalmist making the initial comment was a sinner (Psalm 41:4) while Yeshua the dual meaning/fulfillment of the passage was sinless (2 Cor. 5:21; Heb. 4:15; Heb. 7:26; 1 Pet. 2:21-22).

This is true in the prophecy of Isaiah 7:14 and it's dual fulfillment in Matthew 1. The virgin in Isaiah's time did have sexual relations before birthing her son (Isaiah 8:1-4) while the virgin in Matthew (Miriam) did not; she had never known (euphemism in Scripture for having sexual relations) a man (Luke 1:34-35).

Thanks for the encouragement, Brother!

Matthew

ErichMatthewJanzen

Postby ErichMatthewJanzen » 29 Feb 2008, 12:57

Shalom, Brother Eriq!

You are right... I did sneak two! That made me laugh man, and I'll not do it again!

This is probably going to get long, but I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

Okay, you wrote the following:

I think you may have misunderstood me Bro.

When David wrote Psalm 69 and Psalm 109, he was writing about events current in his (David's) life. If YHWH meant for his (David's) life to be a prophetic link to Messianic events I can certainly acquiesce to that. But as I pointed out earlier, we have a multitude of precedents toward David's link to Messiah and we have no such precedent toward a virgin birth linkage.

I understood you, but I do not agree with what you're saying. David wrote Psalm 69 and Psalm 109 about his personal life and thus about his personal enemies. Judas Iscariot wasn't even alive at this time. Yet Luke shows that these passage find a dual meaning in Judas. This is not about the Messiah, but about Judas.

Also, I believe we do have a virgin birth link to the Messiah from prophecy, per examining Isaiah 7:14 and Mt. 1:22-23 and just accepting what the Bible says. There's no need to try and throw anything away unless you can absolutely prove and interpolation like with 1 John 5:7.

You also wrote:

Again, long prior to Deut 18:15-19, we have ample Scriptural precedent that the life and events of Moshe and the Yiraelites were manipulated by YHWH to be a Prophetic link to Messiah.

In addition, we have historical record that the connection to David and Messiah was ALWAYS believed. The connection to "that prophet" and Messiah was ALWAYS believed. The "virgin birth" connection was never a belief until AFTER the fact, when the "spurious" stories were added.

I do not believe that the Israelites standing around Moses back in Deuteronomy were thinking about a prophet that would show up over a thousand years later. They would immediately think about a prophet that would show up for them personally as Deut. 18:15-19 reads. I agree that there are Messianic links from Moses and others to the Messiah, but the reason we see these links is because we read about them in the Messianic Scriptures which apply many OT statements to Yeshua.

You continue to call the virgin birth stories "spurious" without giving anything to back up the claim. It was the Holy Spirit that made the connection in Mt. 1:22-23, not just the author making it up. When the Holy Spirit moved upon Isaiah to write 7:14 He definitely also knew there would be a future fulfillment in Yeshua and that's why He moved upon Matthew to write 1:22-23.

Here I will address your contentions with your comments in quotes:

I will list my contentions in short burst to avoid a long post.

1. With such a outstandingly miraculous event that marked the entrance of the long awaited Messiah into the world, SURELY gospels and other epistles written 40 to 50 years PRIOR to Mattiyahu and Luke would have incorporated this event.

This is speculation friend. Even if only one gospel had recorded it that would be plenty. This reminds me of those who contend that we have to have two Scriptures to prove a doctrine. Yahweh only has to say and thus record something one time for it to be true. Even many commandments in the Torah are only recorded one time but they are just as true as those commanded twice or a dozen times.

2. The writer(s) of the Gospel of Q, circa 50 CE, seem to have been unaware of the virgin birth.

Do you really believe Gospel Q is authentic? Furthermore, can you please give me the manuscript information from this gospel that omits the virgin birth story from either Matthew or Luke's gospel? In other words, does Q record both Matthew and Luke's gospel but leave out the virgin birth doctrine?

3. Paul (who was executed about 64 CE) was similarly unaware.

Just because Paul didn't mention the virgin birth does not prove that he was unaware of it. Matthew's gospel doesn't mention the link between the Messiah and the bronze serpent in the wilderness (John 3:14-15). Does this mean Matthew was unaware of this link or OT occurence? Not at all. Each individual writer/author doesn't have to list everything he is aware of.

4. The writer of the Gospel of Mark, circa 70 CE hadn't heard of it either.

Once again this is speculation. Sure, Mark does not mention the story, but Matthew and Luke do. There are other things Matthew may mention that Mark does not mention.

For example, the account of the wise men in Mt. 2:1-18 is only found in that book. I am not aware of any prophecies pointing to that visit nor of any parallel accounts in the other evangels. Does that mean the account is bogus and should be cut out of our Bibles?

What about the account of the two blind men that is only found in Mt. 9:27-31? This is not the same account as in Mt 20:29-34; Mk. 10:46-52; or Luke 18:35-43. Should we consider this an "alleged" account and trash it?

In Mt. 13:44-50, Yeshua gave three parables that are only found in Matthew's evangel; The Buried Treasure, The Pearl of Great Price, and The Parable of the Net.

In Mt. 17:24-27, Yeshua tells Peter to go find some money in the mouth of a fish to pay his tribute (taxes). Again, there is only one witness to this account.

Yeshua gave the Parable of the Laborers in Mt. 20:1-16 and the Parable of Two Sons in Mt. 21:28-32. Only one witness, Matthew. Yet, who would reject these as authentic truth?

The Parable of the Ten Virgins is the last example I will give. Again, only Matthew gives this parable.

There are far more examples in the other evangels including where only two evangels witness an account as in Matthew and Luke witnessing about the virgin birth. We might as well totally discard all four evangels if we are going to discard the virgin birth accounts in Matthew and Luke.

5. Sometime between 70 and 90 CE, a myth of the virgin birth was invented, probably to strengthen the authority of Messiah's teachings by claiming that his birth was miraculous. This was a time of great change, as the Roman Army had demolished Jerusalem and its temples and scattered many of the Jews throughout the Roman empire. There, they would come into contact with many stories of virgin births of various politicians and deities from Pagan religions. In fact, it would have been unusual if the developing story of Messiah's birth did NOT include many of the features found in mythical figures of other religions.

This too is speculation. For some reason or another Eric, my good friend, you do not want to accept the clear teaching of the gospels of Matthew and Luke. This would be like you quoting me any other NT Scripture and me just saying, "Well that was invented between 70 and 90 AD." I once discussed the Messiah's lineage with a person who believe the Messiah was from the tribe of Ephraim. When I quoted Hebrews 7:14 to them they would reply, "Oh, that was added in by the translators who wanted you to think that he descended from the tribe of Judah." There is no way to reason with this sort of thinking other than praying that Yahweh will allow such people to be able to receive His word for what it says and teaches.

Concerning pagan virgin birth stories, there are many pagan stories that contain a number of similarities with the Messiah. For instance, pagan myths/stories include saviors that:

Were male

Lived in pre-Christian times

Had a god for a father

Human virgin for a mother

Had their birth announced by a heavenly display

Had an attempt on their life by a tyrant while they were still an infant

Met with a violent death. rose again from the dead

According to the logic of this argument, since all these figures were believed to have a virgin mother, we should reject a belief in Yeshua's virgin birth. To carry that logic one step further, we should reject all the other points as related to Yeshua. We should reject the belief that he was a male, that Herod tried to kill him, that he rose from the dead, etc.

6. By the 90's, the belief was widespread. The authors of Luke and Matthew incorporated it into their Gospels.

7. The writer(s) of the Gospel of Yochanon likely knew of the story, but rejected it as being a false teaching that was not believed by their faith group.

8. There is no Scriptural precedent

9. There is no historical precedent, prior to it being written in Matthew and Luke.

I've already written way too much, but I had to address everything. All that being said I can only repeat here that you are speculating. You have absolutely no manuscript evidence from textual criticism that would dismiss either Matthew or Luke's account of the virgin birth. I hope and pray that you will one day believe what these authors wrote instead of rejecting what they wrote.

In Yah's love,
Matthew Janzen

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 29 Feb 2008, 16:02

I understood you, but I do not agree with what you're saying. David wrote Psalm 69 and Psalm 109 about his personal life and thus about his personal enemies. Judas Iscariot wasn't even alive at this time. Yet Luke shows that these passage find a dual meaning in Judas. This is not about the Messiah, but about Judas.

Also, I believe we do have a virgin birth link to the Messiah from prophecy, per examining Isaiah 7:14 and Mt. 1:22-23 and just accepting what the Bible says. There's no need to try and throw anything away unless you can absolutely prove and interpolation like with 1 John 5:7.

Yes, Bro. You have misunderstood me again. The fact that Yudas wasn't alive has nothing to do with my point. I'll try and re-word it.

David wrote about his personal life in Psalms. His personal life had direct parallel to the personal life of Messiah. That's okay because we have a multitude of Scriptural precedent for such parallel. That is wholly different than a parallel of Ahaz and Messiah.

I do not believe that the Israelites standing around Moses back in Deuteronomy were thinking about a prophet that would show up over a thousand years later. They would immediately think about a prophet that would show up for them personally as Deut. 18:15-19 reads. I agree that there are Messianic links from Moses and others to the Messiah, but the reason we see these links is because we read about them in the Messianic Scriptures which apply many OT statements to Yeshua.

Brother Matthew, I realize the Yiraelites with Moshe didn't realize the significance at the time. Give me some credit, would ya?

What I'm saying is that the Yisraelites for centuries AFTER the time of Moshe understood those events and Mosiac prophecy to be indicative of Messiah's coming. The priesthood later (before the time of Messiah) understood Moshe's words to be prophetic of Messiah, even if Moshe didn't know it himself when it came out of his mouth.

You continue to call the virgin birth stories "spurious" without giving anything to back up the claim. It was the Holy Spirit that made the connection in Mt. 1:22-23, not just the author making it up. When the Holy Spirit moved upon Isaiah to write 7:14 He definitely also knew there would be a future fulfillment in Yeshua and that's why He moved upon Matthew to write 1:22-23.

I beg to differ. I have given some extremely valid evidence to back it up. Your non-acceptance of that evidence doesn't equate to its non-existence.

Your claim that Yeshayahu "knew" that there would be "dual fulfillment" is unsupported. He knew nothing of the kind.

The high priest, Ciaphas, spoke prophetically under inspiration of the Holy Spirit concerning Messiah's sacrifice, but he had no idea what he was prophesying. So even if Yeshayahu 7:14 were a Messianic prophecy (which it isn't), that doesn't mean Yeshayahu "knew" of it's significance for 800 years in the future.

This is speculation friend. Even if only one gospel had recorded it that would be plenty. This reminds me of those who contend that we have to have two Scriptures to prove a doctrine. Yahweh only has to say and thus record something one time for it to be true. Even many commandments in the Torah are only recorded one time but they are just as true as those commanded twice or a dozen times.

Agreed. But if the virgin birth is true, we are talking about THE most miraculous and significant event in human history! That is, besides the resurrection.

History doesn't mention Hitler without mentioning the Holocaust. History doesn't mention Abraham Lincoln without mentioning his assassination the freeing of slaves. History doesn't mention Martin Luther King without mentioning civil rights and " I have a dream" or Moshe without the "red sea". History won't mention George Bush without mentioning 9/11 or the Iraq War.

All of these things are nothing when compared to the significance of the Messiah come into the world by miraculous virgin birth. How can you mention Messiah's birth without mentioning the "virgin" part? That may be speculation, my friend. But it is darn valid and good speculation!

Do you really believe Gospel Q is authentic? Furthermore, can you please give me the manuscript information from this gospel that omits the virgin birth story from either Matthew or Luke's gospel? In other words, does Q record both Matthew and Luke's gospel but leave out the virgin birth doctrine?

What do you mean "authentic"? If you mean "YHWH" inspired to be Scripture then I would have to say, no. But it is a recorded history of the life of Messiah nonetheless, just like Matthew and Luke.

The writer of Q had no particular ax to grind any more than Matthew or Luke. This writer recorded the facts as he knew them just like the writers of Matthew and Luke. And if the "virgin birth" story were extant at the time of his writing, it certainly isn't a fact that an intelligent person would have just "left out".

By the way, the only reason we believe that Matthew and Luke are "authentic" is because the RCC has told us it was. I wonder what you would believe if Q, and Thomas and Kephas gospel were in the canon instead of Matthew and Luke?

Anyway, the manuscript information for the gospel of Q is easy to find if you wish to look it up.

Just because Paul didn't mention the virgin birth does not prove that he was unaware of it. Matthew's gospel doesn't mention the link between the Messiah and the bronze serpent in the wilderness (John 3:14-15). Does this mean Matthew was unaware of this link or OT occurence? Not at all. Each individual writer/author doesn't have to list everything he is aware of.

Not the same thing. In Yochanon 3:14-15, Messiah uses the serpent as a "simile" to his death, NOT as a prophetic example of Himself. Example:

If I say, "As David fought Goliath, so must I fight for my claim against the big insurance company". I am just using the story as a "simile". I am not indicating that David's battle was a prophecy of my life.

The point is, the "serpent" comment wasn’t really significant to Messiah's life or to the big picture. The "virgin birth" is not so. If true, this is one of the MOST significant things in Messiah's life or history in general. I'm sorry man, you don't just leave that out.

That would be like leaving out the resurrection. Why tell the story at all if you are going to leave out the virgin birth or resurrection?

Once again this is speculation. Sure, Mark does not mention the story, but Matthew and Luke do. There are other things Matthew may mention that Mark does not mention.

For example, the account of the wise men in Mt. 2:1-18 is only found in that book. I am not aware of any prophecies pointing to that visit nor of any parallel accounts in the other evangels. Does that mean the account is bogus and should be cut out of our Bibles?

What about the account of the two blind men that is only found in Mt. 9:27-31? This is not the same account as in Mt 20:29-34; Mk. 10:46-52; or Luke 18:35-43. Should we consider this an "alleged" account and trash it?

In Mt. 13:44-50, Yeshua gave three parables that are only found in Matthew's evangel; The Buried Treasure, The Pearl of Great Price, and The Parable of the Net.

In Mt. 17:24-27, Yeshua tells Peter to go find some money in the mouth of a fish to pay his tribute (taxes). Again, there is only one witness to this account.

Yeshua gave the Parable of the Laborers in Mt. 20:1-16 and the Parable of Two Sons in Mt. 21:28-32. Only one witness, Matthew. Yet, who would reject these as authentic truth?

The Parable of the Ten Virgins is the last example I will give. Again, only Matthew gives this parable.

There are far more examples in the other evangels including where only two evangels witness an account as in Matthew and Luke witnessing about the virgin birth. We might as well totally discard all four evangels if we are going to discard the virgin birth accounts in Matthew and Luke.

Once again, it may speculation, but it is darn good speculation. And it is a valid speculation.

Not one of those comparisons you made above can hold a candle to the significance of a bona fide, Holy Spirit, miraculously initiated birth if a human being with no father involved. Would you make the same claim if one of the gospels had "left out" the resurrection? In fact, check it out: Not ONE gospel, epistle or other writing concerning Messiah in history leaves out the resurrection. Why? Because of its miraculous significance.

A virgin birth would hold the same power of significance. You simply can't compare anything else.

This too is speculation. For some reason or another Eric, my good friend, you do not want to accept the clear teaching of the gospels of Matthew and Luke. This would be like you quoting me any other NT Scripture and me just saying, "Well that was invented between 70 and 90 AD." I once discussed the Messiah's lineage with a person who believe the Messiah was from the tribe of Ephraim. When I quoted Hebrews 7:14 to them they would reply, "Oh, that was added in by the translators who wanted you to think that he descended from the tribe of Judah." There is no way to reason with this sort of thinking other than praying that Yahweh will allow such people to be able to receive His word for what it says and teaches.

Oh no sir! I won't let you paint me with that brush Dr. J. I have ample and valid reason to be skeptical of the "virgin birth" story. To insinuate that I have just chosen to reject it out of hand is inaccurate. Your refusal to acknowledge the evidence as valid does not negate its validity, nor does it trivialize my decision to acknowledge such evidence.

One of the most popular arguments against lunar Sabbaths is that we cannot pinpoint the time of change to the Roman Sabbath. This is true, we cannot. But what we CAN do is look at the evidence of history and draw a valid conclusion as to how the transition may have occurred given what we do know of the culture and climate of the 1st thru 3rd centuries.

The same is true of the virgin birth story. I can look at what was believed before and after Messiah's life. I can look at he culture and climate of the time the gospels of Matthew and Luke were written, and draw a valid conclusion.

There is no way to convince a person to open themselves up to examination of such information if they are obtusely opposed to the possibility. I too would just have to pray YHWH would open their minds to see the truth.

Concerning pagan virgin birth stories, there are many pagan stories that contain a number of similarities with the Messiah. For instance, pagan myths/stories include saviors that:

Were male

Lived in pre-Christian times

Had a god for a father

Human virgin for a mother

Had their birth announced by a heavenly display

Had an attempt on their life by a tyrant while they were still an infant

Met with a violent death. rose again from the dead

According to the logic of this argument, since all these figures were believed to have a virgin mother, we should reject a belief in Yeshua's virgin birth. To carry that logic one step further, we should reject all the other points as related to Yeshua. We should reject the belief that he was a male, that Herod tried to kill him, that he rose from the dead, etc.

You're right. And I say, examine them ALL! Every story, to see if they are false applications to the life of Messiah or false duplications of Messiah's life.

Why would any diligent truth seeker be willing to just blindly dismiss such coincidences? That line of logic is the reason the masses are so easily deceived. Rather than making a point, Brother Matthew, you have exposed vulnerability in your thinking and investigative processes.

BTW, my point at the beginning to this exchange was about the fact that Yeshayahu 7:14 wasn't meant to be a prophetic sign of Messiah's birth. You seem to have shifted the discussion to the comparison of paganism to the Messiah life. I can only suspect you have done this because you believe this argument is your big, ace-in-the-hole, counter punch and you can't wait to use it. But it isn't such a grand stance in the face of historical fact.

I've already written way too much, but I had to address everything. All that being said I can only repeat here that you are speculating. You have absolutely no manuscript evidence from textual criticism that would dismiss either Matthew or Luke's account of the virgin birth. I hope and pray that you will one day believe what these authors wrote instead of rejecting what they wrote.

There's nothing wrong with "speculation' Brother Matthew. Speculation can be a conduit that leads people out of deception and into truth.

I can only repeat that your rejection of evidence doesn't mean it isn't valid. I could be right. I would encourage you to investigate the possibility rather than blindly dismiss the notion out of hand.

I have written evidence that you have dogmatically and passionately stood on the position of Messiah's deity at one point and later changed that position. I have had to retract a mountain of dogma concerning my Scriptural beliefs. The point is, I could be right. So could you, but the evidence I have presented is too compelling to just be swept under the rug of traditional doctrine.

Sometimes I believe it is good to try and prove what we DO believe instead of trying to disprove what we don't. You have done neither. I am not and will never again be, a blind receptacle of doctrine and information.

So now, do we move to the next topic or do you feel I am too illogical to debate with? It seems as though your mind is made up.

Eriq

chuckbaldwin

Postby chuckbaldwin » 01 Mar 2008, 00:42

Now it's my turn. Do i have permission to post in this thread without being reprimanded, or characterized as coming out from under a rock? Or do i have to start a thread of my own?

<S>It appears that the "private" discussion between Matt & Eriq is pretty much wrapped up.</s>

Scratch that. I see that the "private" discussion is continuing. And since Eriq hasn't granted me permission to post here, i'll go ahead and start a new thread to respond to his statements.
Last edited by chuckbaldwin on 02 Mar 2008, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck Baldwin

By this shall all men know you are my disciples: if you have love one for another.

ErichMatthewJanzen

Postby ErichMatthewJanzen » 01 Mar 2008, 12:11

Shalom, Brother Eric,

I had written a lengthy post responding to you point by point, but I've just erased it because I feel we are getting off track and I want to stay with the issue without getting personal.

Here's what I'm seeing thus far in our discussion:

1.) I believe the account of the virgin birth in Matthew 1 is authentic.

2.) You do not.

3.) In order for me to dismiss the account I will HAVE to see some manuscript evidence from Matthew that backs up your claim.

4.) To just dismiss Matthew's account without manuscript evidence from Matthew itself does not add up to me. I know of no Greek, Aramaic, or Hebrew manuscript of Matthew that doesn't contain the virgin birth story.

5.) It is because I accept Matthew 1 as genuine that I see the link with Isaiah 7:14. Obviously, if I did not accept Matthew's account I would not see the link.

Okay, I think that pretty much sums up my stance thus far. Brother, I apologize if I wrote anything to upset you, such was not my intent. It just gets a bit frustrating when I quote a Scripture to prove my belief, but the Scripture I quote is said to be spurious. This would be okay if you could show manuscript evidence of interpolation (like with 1 John 5:7) but when you can't I do not see why you would want to believe something to be spurious.

Hopefully, this will get us back on track.

Your good pal,
Matthew

wstruse

Postby wstruse » 01 Mar 2008, 19:27

I believe there is additional Scriptural evidence that the Spirit of YHWH was responsible for the conception of Yashua the Messiah.

During the 2nd temple era the high priest Joshua and the governor Zerubbabel were the leaders of the people. They were instrumental in rebuilding the 2nd temple. Zechariah 4 gives a prophecy based in the reality of the events of 2nd temple era which point to the prophetic reality in Yashua the Messiah. Zech. 4:7 states concerning Zerubbabel, “and he shall bring forth the headstone thereof, crying, Grace, grace unto it.â€

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 01 Mar 2008, 20:54

ErichMatthewJanzen wrote:Shalom, Brother Eric,

I had written a lengthy post responding to you point by point, but I've just erased it because I feel we are getting off track and I want to stay with the issue without getting personal.

Here's what I'm seeing thus far in our discussion:

1.) I believe the account of the virgin birth in Matthew 1 is authentic.

2.) You do not.

3.) In order for me to dismiss the account I will HAVE to see some manuscript evidence from Matthew that backs up your claim.

4.) To just dismiss Matthew's account without manuscript evidence from Matthew itself does not add up to me. I know of no Greek, Aramaic, or Hebrew manuscript of Matthew that doesn't contain the virgin birth story.

5.) It is because I accept Matthew 1 as genuine that I see the link with Isaiah 7:14. Obviously, if I did not accept Matthew's account I would not see the link.

Okay, I think that pretty much sums up my stance thus far. Brother, I apologize if I wrote anything to upset you, such was not my intent. It just gets a bit frustrating when I quote a Scripture to prove my belief, but the Scripture I quote is said to be spurious. This would be okay if you could show manuscript evidence of interpolation (like with 1 John 5:7) but when you can't I do not see why you would want to believe something to be spurious.

Hopefully, this will get us back on track.

Your good pal,
Matthew

You have not offended me in the slightest. Bro. Matthew.

I think that what you are looking for is some type of manuscript evidence that dates prior to the earliest known manuscripts (Greek or Hebrew) that might omit the virgin birth story, or at least tell a different story.

There are credible historical references who say this is so, but I have not personally been exposed to it. I agree that I may need to re-confirm that information as fact on a personal level. But let's just say for a moment, you're right, and there isn't any. There are two other elements that we need to seriously look at:

1. If Matthew and Luke gospels were ORIGINALLY written to include the virgin birth aspect, we would still need to take note of the historical, political and religious environment and circumstances that surround the original composition.

There were many, many writings that were written about the Messiah that are "original", but do not qualify as truth. But what about earlier manuscripts (decades earlier) of OTHER authors who autobiography the Messiah's life? Manuscripts we accept as truth, like Yochanon and Mark? You do believe other manuscripts to be a clue? Does it have to be earlier manuscripts of "Matthew's" and "Luke's" gospels in particular?

The gospels of Yochanon and Mark are also examples of manuscripts that were written 3 to 5 DECADES BEFORE Matthew and Luke that do NOT include this tale... Why not? I still say that is a valid question, which sparks justifiable skepticism given the spectacular nature of the alleged event.

2. In the absence of the type of manuscript proof you require, and by stipulating momentarily to the gospels of Matthew and Luke "as written", I believe we also need to explore the traditional interpretations. The original language of verbs and phrases in this text can be illumined and shown to paint a very different picture of the birth circumstances than what is traditionally taught.

As an astute student of Scripture, I don't have to tell you that the English words can sometimes "blur" the true meaning of the text. The "virgin" birth Scriptures are certainly candidates for such scrutiny.

Peace and love

Eriq

ErichMatthewJanzen

Postby ErichMatthewJanzen » 02 Mar 2008, 09:20

Shalom, Bro. Eric,

You wrote:

I think that what you are looking for is some type of manuscript evidence that dates prior to the earliest known manuscripts (Greek or Hebrew) that might omit the virgin birth story, or at least tell a different story.

There are credible historical references who say this is so, but I have not personally been exposed to it. I agree that I may need to re-confirm that information as fact on a personal level. But let's just say for a moment, you're right, and there isn't any. There are two other elements that we need to seriously look at:

1. If Matthew and Luke gospels were ORIGINALLY written to include the virgin birth aspect, we would still need to take note of the historical, political and religious environment and circumstances that surround the original composition.

There were many, many writings that were written about the Messiah that are "original", but do not qualify as truth. But what about earlier manuscripts (decades earlier) of OTHER authors who autobiography the Messiah's life? Manuscripts we accept as truth, like Yochanon and Mark? You do believe other manuscripts to be a clue? Does it have to be earlier manuscripts of "Matthew's" and "Luke's" gospels in particular?

The gospels of Yochanon and Mark are also examples of manuscripts that were written 3 to 5 DECADES BEFORE Matthew and Luke that do NOT include this tale... Why not? I still say that is a valid question, which sparks justifiable skepticism given the spectacular nature of the alleged event.

2. In the absence of the type of manuscript proof you require, and by stipulating momentarily to the gospels of Matthew and Luke "as written", I believe we also need to explore the traditional interpretations. The original language of verbs and phrases in this text can be illumined and shown to paint a very different picture of the birth circumstances than what is traditionally taught.

As an astute student of Scripture, I don't have to tell you that the English words can sometimes "blur" the true meaning of the text. The "virgin" birth Scriptures are certainly candidates for such scrutiny.

Here are my responses to the above 2 point:

1.) Yes, it would have to be manuscripts of Matthew and Luke to persuade me. By this, I do not mean that the gospels of Mark and John are irrelavent; I believe them wholeheartedly, but as we both know neither of them contain the virgin birth story as do Matthew and Luke. For us to produce manuscript "evidence" from Mark and John would be futile at this point for I agree that the story is not told in these gospels.

What we need to see is earlier manuscripts of Matthew and/or Luke that do not contain the story, and later manuscripts that do. That would definitely get me to looking. Yet, this is what I haven't seen. The virgin birth stories are in the Bible, and there is no evidence known to me that they are interpolations.

Concerning the dating of Matthew's gospel, I do not believe it was written 30 to 50 years after Mark or John. I believe all the gospels were written prior to A.D. 70. I realize this is a side issue, but we may have to delve into it.

2.) I agree completely on examining the translations and current interpretations. This is what should be done, especially in light of the fact that there is no evidence of interpolations in Matthew 1 and Luke 1 concerning the virgin birth accounts.

BTW, I do want to just briefly comment on one thing you wrote previously, so as to clarify myself:

I had written, "When the Holy Spirit moved upon Isaiah to write 7:14 He definitely also knew there would be a future fulfillment in Yeshua and that why He moved upon Matthew to write 1:22-23."

You replied:

Your claim that Yeshayahu "knew" that there would be "dual fulfillment" is unsupported. He knew nothing of the kind.

The high priest, Ciaphas, spoke prophetically under inspiration of the Holy Spirit concerning Messiah's sacrifice, but he had no idea what he was prophesying. So even if Yeshayahu 7:14 were a Messianic prophecy (which it isn't), that doesn't mean Yeshayahu "knew" of it's significance for 800 years in the future.

I wasn't saying that Isaiah knew, but rather the Holy Spirit. I will place in brackets to my statement to clarify: "When the Holy Spirit moved upon Isaiah to write 7:14 He (Holy Spirit) definitely also knew there would be a future fulfillment in Yeshua and that why He (Holy Spirit) moved upon Matthew to write 1:22-23."

Shalom,
Matthew

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 02 Mar 2008, 20:55

Here are my responses to the above 2 point:

1.) Yes, it would have to be manuscripts of Matthew and Luke to persuade me. By this, I do not mean that the gospels of Mark and John are irrelavent; I believe them wholeheartedly, but as we both know neither of them contain the virgin birth story as do Matthew and Luke. For us to produce manuscript "evidence" from Mark and John would be futile at this point for I agree that the story is not told in these gospels.

Ok, well that's my point. Why wouldn't Yochanon and Mark write of such a MONUMENTAL event? Their gospels were written EARLIER than the others..

What we need to see is earlier manuscripts of Matthew and/or Luke that do not contain the story, and later manuscripts that do. That would definitely get me to looking. Yet, this is what I haven't seen. The virgin birth stories are in the Bible, and there is no evidence known to me that they are interpolations.

At least none you will consider...

Concerning the dating of Matthew's gospel, I do not believe it was written 30 to 50 years after Mark or John. I believe all the gospels were written prior to A.D. 70. I realize this is a side issue, but we may have to delve into it.

Can you tell me why you believe this? I have several credible sources that say differently.

2.) I agree completely on examining the translations and current interpretations. This is what should be done, especially in light of the fact that there is no evidence of interpolations in Matthew 1 and Luke 1 concerning the virgin birth accounts.

Cool. Let's do it...

BTW, I do want to just briefly comment on one thing you wrote previously, so as to clarify myself:

I had written, "When the Holy Spirit moved upon Isaiah to write 7:14 He definitely also knew there would be a future fulfillment in Yeshua and that why He moved upon Matthew to write 1:22-23."

My apologies... I misunderstood what you were saying. IF indeed the Holy Spirit meant such a thing, "He" would surely have known... But I don't believe the Ruach meant this as a long range prophecy at all.

BTW, for the sake of those who are interested in this discussion, let's continue it here only. Chuck and Cheri have started a campaign against my position on another thread and I really don't wish to dignify them with a response.. Matthew 7:6.

Eriq

Return to “Discussion Forum”