"The fear of יהוה is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Set-apart One is understanding"

Response to Eriq's "Virgin Birth" objections

Moderator: Watchman555

chuckbaldwin

Response to Eriq's "Virgin Birth" objections

Postby chuckbaldwin » 02 Mar 2008, 16:37

eriqbenel wrote:My contention regarding the "dual prophetic" notion of Yeshayahu and Matthew is:

1. There is no Scriptural precedent
2. There is no historical precedent
A historical precedent is the fulfilment of Daniel's "Abomination of Desolation" prophecy by Antiochus Epiphanes, recorded in 1Macc.1:54, where it is plainly identified as the "AoD". The corresponding Scriptural precedent is in Mt.24:15 & Mk.13:14, where Yahshua says "when you see the 'AoD' spoken of by Daniel ... let them in Judea flee...". It seems clear to me that the "AoD" referred to by Yahshua was still future. Hence the "duality".
eriqbenel wrote:I will list my contentions in short burst to avoid a long post.

1. With such a outstandingly miraculous event that marked the entrance of the long awaited Messiah into the world, SURELY gospels and other epistles written 40 to 50 years PRIOR to Mattiyahu and Luke would have incorporated this event.
One might wish for that, but then how many times does the Holy Spirit need to inspire a writing to make it true. YHWH doesn't need 2-3 witnesses, only 1, but in this case He was most gracious and gave us 2.
2. The writer(s) of the Gospel of Q, circa 50 CE, seem to have been unaware of the virgin birth.
I can't address this, because i don't know who "Q" was. Or wasn't he that immortal dude that gave Captain Picard such a hard time? 8)
3. Paul (who was executed about 64 CE) was similarly unaware.
No, Paul actually did mention it at least once:

Ga 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law.

Note the unusual word "made" as opposed to just "born" - IOW, no man involved. Cp. Gen.3:15.
4. The writer of the Gospel of Mark, circa 70 CE hadn't heard of it either.
Are you a mind-reader? What makes you think Mark hadn't heard of it? See endnote.
5. Sometime between 70 and 90 CE, a myth of the virgin birth was invented, probably to strengthen the authority of Messiah's teachings by claiming that his birth was miraculous. This was a time of great change, as the Roman Army had demolished Jerusalem and its temples and scattered many of the Jews throughout the Roman empire. There, they would come into contact with many stories of virgin births of various politicians and deities from Pagan religions. In fact, it would have been unusual if the developing story of Messiah's birth did NOT include many of the features found in mythical figures of other religions.
The prophecy of a virgin birth was written in the stars (Gen.1:14-16) before Adam was created. The counterfeits were developed by pagans who understood this but perverted it to fit their own brand of religion.
6. By the 90's, the belief was widespread. The authors of Luke and Matthew incorporated it into their Gospels.
Of course they did, because the HS inspired them to include it.
7. The writer(s) of the Gospel of Yochanon likely knew of the story, but rejected it as being a false teaching that was not believed by their faith group.
More speculation. How do you know this? Are you a mind-reader? Never mind, i already asked that. What makes you think John rejected it? See endnote.
8. There is no Scriptural precedent
See Gen.3:15, and my reply to #9.
9. There is no historical precedent, prior to it being written in Matthew and Luke.
Yahshua is referred to 6 times as YHWH's uniquely begotten (Grk. monogenes) Son. If there had been a historical precedent, it wouldn't have been "unique". There's no "precedent" for Gen.1:1 either - another "unique" event.

ENDNOTE: You seem to make a big deal out of the fact that Mark & John didn't mention the "virgin birth", therefore it didn't happen. Well, they don't mention His birth at all, therefore He wasn't born, according to your logic. The answer is quite simple. Why are there 4 Gospels? Because each Gospel emphasized a particular aspect of Yahshua's life & character & purpose.

Matt. presents Him as King of Israel, and a king's genealogy & birth is very important, going back through David (the unending Throne), Judah (the Sceptre shall not depart), and Abraham (kings from his loins).

Mark presents Him as YHWH's Servant, and a servant's genealogy & birth are irrelevant.

Luke presents Him as Human - Son of Adam - hence His Genealogy goes all the way back to Adam.

John presents Him as Son of YHWH, and as such the details of His human birth aren't that important, summaraized simply by "the Word became flesh and dwelt among us".

Obviously Mark & John didn't think He just "appeared" suddenly as a 30-year-old man. They knew that He was born, and no doubt they knew the details (now i'm the mind-reader :mrgreen:); but the details just weren't paramount to their specific purpose. To be honest, i think i would have included it in John, but the HS deemed otherwise.
Chuck Baldwin
By this shall all men know you are my disciples: if you have love one for another.

principessa-yisraeliana

Postby principessa-yisraeliana » 02 Mar 2008, 17:20

There are many who say that they don't believe in the virgin birth, and that they believe that Yahshua was just a man who 'learned' obedience and, therefore, became 'qualified' to be Messiah.

Chuck, how would you respond to that line of thinking? Thanks, Cherie
I will sift the house of Ephraim among all nations, as grain is sifted in a
sieve; yet shall not the least kernel fall upon the earth. (Amos 9:9)

chuckbaldwin

Postby chuckbaldwin » 02 Mar 2008, 19:13

principessa-yisraeliana wrote:There are many who say that they don't believe in the virgin birth, and that they believe that Yahshua was just a man who 'learned' obedience and, therefore, became 'qualified' to be Messiah.
Chuck, how would you respond to that line of thinking? Thanks, Cherie
Hi Cherie,

To answer the 'virgin birth' question, i would just say that i rely on the double-witness of Matt & Luke. Then if they have other specific objections (such as Eriq's above), i would have to address them 1 at a time.

It says that Yahshua "learned obedience through the things he suffered". I honestly don't know what that implies. I could speculate that He was like a normal child up to the "age of accountability", who occasionally disobeyed His parents. The incident at age 12 comes to mind, but without enough info to make a real conclusion. He may have even gotten "spankings", but i don't think that would be considered "suffering". Sorry i don't have a better answer to that question.

I think that He did have to "qualify" to be the Messiah, which He did when He overcame Satan's temptings right after His baptism, plus other trials all through His life.
Chuck Baldwin

By this shall all men know you are my disciples: if you have love one for another.

chuckbaldwin

Postby chuckbaldwin » 06 Mar 2008, 00:23

eriqbenel wrote:My contention would be:

IF the Holy Spirit PUT the child there by miracle, why would "He" have to "find" it??????

I believe that verse is saying the Holy Spirit did exactly what the words suggest, He "FOUND" her already pregnant. The "miracle" aspect has to be read into the text.
That is an incorrect understanding. The Greek preposition used to identify the agent of a passive verb is "hupo", and its correct modern English rendering would be "by". ie, it would read "found with child by ("hupo" #5259) the Holy Spirit"; but it doesn't read that way, it reads...

"... she was found with child of <1537> the Holy Spirit."

#1537 is "ek" meaning "out of" or "from". This shows that the phrase "of (from, out of) the Holy Spirit", identifies the source of the "child", and NOT the agent of "found".

No doubt, Mary's pregnancy was "found" or discovered by Joseph or 1 of her family. The Holy Spirit (Yahweh) didn't need to "find" her pregnant; He already knew about it.
Chuck Baldwin

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 06 Mar 2008, 01:05

That is an incorrect understanding. The Greek preposition used to identify the agent of a passive verb is "hupo", and its correct modern English rendering would be "by". ie, it would read "found with child by ("hupo" #5259) the Holy Spirit"; but it doesn't read that way, it reads...

#1537 is "ek" meaning "out of" or "from". This shows that the phrase "of (from, out of) the Holy Spirit", identifies the source of the "child", and NOT the agent of "found".

No doubt, Mary's pregnancy was "found" or discovered by Joseph or 1 of her family. The Holy Spirit (Yahweh) didn't need to "find" her pregnant; He already knew about it.

A $5 dollar bill was found BY Chuck.... So what? That doesn't mean Chuck "miracled" the $5 bill, the word "by" identifies WHO found it.
Shalom in the name of YHWH,

Eriq

chuckbaldwin

Postby chuckbaldwin » 06 Mar 2008, 01:36

eriqbenel wrote:

A $5 dollar bill was found BY Chuck.... So what? That doesn't mean Chuck "miracled" the $5 bill, the word "by" identifies WHO found it.
Your sentence doesn't match the structure of the verse in question. In fact it shows that you didn't even read what i said, because you changed the whole thing. The matching reading [with the biblical words in brackets] would have been:

"A $5 bill [she] was found with green ink [child] of (from <1537>) the US Treasury [Holy Spirit]."

Just as the "$5 bill" wasn't "found" BY the "US Treasury",
likewise, "she" wasn't "found' BY the "Holy Spirit".
Chuck Baldwin

eriqbenel

Postby eriqbenel » 06 Mar 2008, 02:34

The matching reading [with the biblical words in brackets] would have been:

"A $5 bill [she] was found with green ink [child] of (from <1537>) the US Treasury [Holy Spirit]."

Ok, I can go along with that. Doesn't change my basic argument. Here's why. There are many "children" OF the Holy Spirit in Scripture:

Noah. Moses. Yitzak. Solomon. The child in Yeshayahu 7., etc...

These children were all initiated "by" the Holy Spirit, it doesn't mean that a "man" was not involved. Nor does a man being involved make it any less a miracle. If He can effect the egg, He can effect the sperm.
Shalom in the name of YHWH,

Eriq

chuckbaldwin

Postby chuckbaldwin » 06 Mar 2008, 16:56

eriqbenel wrote:
The matching reading [with the biblical words in brackets] would have been:

Ok, I can go along with that. Doesn't change my basic argument. Here's why. There are many "children" OF the Holy Spirit in Scripture:

Noah. Moses. Yitzak. Solomon. The child in Yeshayahu 7., etc...

These children were all initiated "by" the Holy Spirit, it doesn't mean that a "man" was not involved. Nor does a man being involved make it any less a miracle. If He can effect the egg, He can effect the sperm.
Hi Eriq,

I could ask for Scriptures that show where the 1st 4 guys you mentioned were "initiated" (meaning "fathered" - their mothers "impregnated") by the Holy Spirit, other than Isaac's birth being miraculous. Even with Isaac, the HS didn't generate the sperm, making YHWH become Isaac's father; instead it "quickened" Sarah's egg, so that Abraham's sperm could do its job.

Rather than ask for specific Scriptures, i'll just defer to Matthew's recent post in the other thread.
Chuck Baldwin

Return to “Discussion Forum”